Home
Feature Article
FIFA 18 Wishlist: Features We'd Like To See

With EA Play just around the corner, it won’t be long until we get our first look at FIFA 18. The next entry in EA's bestselling soccer series will incorporate the Frostbite engine for the second year running, and has already been confirmed to feature a second season of story mode, The Journey, which debuted in FIFA 17

Ahead of the inevitable reveal, I've taken this chance to highlight a few things I'd like to see in FIFA 18 later this year. Be sure to add your own ideas to our wishlist in the comments below. 

Refined Gameplay Engine

Soccer is known as “the beautiful game” for a reason, and while FIFA 17 lives up to the moniker at times, it misses the mark at others. Against the CPU, it benefits from balanced, well-enhanced gameplay that surpasses its predecessor, but a lack of tactical diversity grows tiresome. Multiplayer is a different beast, placing an over-reliance on pace and occasionally suffering from disjointed AI positioning. 

It’s a shame as FIFA 16 had perfected a balanced gameplay experience across the board. The new engine has undoubtedly resulted in some areas of improvement on the pitch, but should also benefit from an extra year’s development to rectify its wrongs and realize its true potential. 

Revamped Set Pieces

FIFA 16's set pieces never really felt inadequate, but EA went the extra mile in developing brand-new mechanics for FIFA 17 anyway. Unfortunately, they’re just not all that good. The penalty system is particularly poor, leaving first-timers baffled by its strange execution in many cases. 

Would the fans be happy if EA reverted to FIFA 16's set-piece system later this year? It’s hard to say, but EA is unlikely to give it a second thought. Hopefully, their attention will turn to enhancing the aforementioned penalty system alongside the corner and free kick targeting system. The latter isn’t all that bad, but still needs some fine tuning to maximize its effectiveness. 

Improvements To Career Mode

FIFA 16 introduced a host of new features for career mode, but FIFA 17 has primarily taken a backseat in this area. The year of transition is possibly to blame, putting the focus on Frostbite and The Journey, and forcing career code to make-do with a few minor enhancements such as new team objectives. 

There are loads of things I'd like to see in career mode, such as an enhanced transfer system and online features. Above all though, career mode just needs a bit of freshening up. Its aging features do a solid job, but many have grown tiresome at this point after multiple years of stagnation.

The Journey: Season Two

Aside from the new Frostbite engine, FIFA 17's most notable addition is The Journey -- a brand-new mode following youngster Alex Hunter and his goal to achieve English Premier League glory. It has been received to great acclaim, but despite all its qualities, it also showcases potential for improvement in many areas. 

That’s not a bad thing. The Journey’s first outing has proved successful, but now needs the benefit of further development to become a major, year-long attraction. A create-a-player feature would help with this, and I'd also like to see efforts to reduce the story’s linearity. Honestly, the possibilities here are endless. 

Graphical Enhancements

FIFA 17 is a much better-looking game than its predecessor. The Frostbite engine has done a great job at enhancing the series’ lighting, player models and stadium features, but there’s still work to be done. In particular, new manager models look downright creepy at their worst, while crowds appear blurry and sometimes get locked in simultaneous animations. 

These small details can have a big effect on immersion. If EA can place more focus on bringing them in-line with the rest of the series’ detailed visuals, FIFA 18 could be a contender for the best-looking sports title on the market. That said, it’ll have to work hard to compete with NBA 2K, MLB The Show and EA Sports’ other major properties for that honor. 

Changes To Pro Clubs

With the release of FIFA 10, the idea of a “Virtual Pro” was incorporated into the FIFA series. This allowed you to create your own player and use them in the Pro Club Championship mode, upgrading their abilities as you progressed. A similar concept exists to this day, but in my view, FIFA would benefit more from an EASHL-like player-class system. 

At present, there’s just no balance. If you’ve upgraded your player to a certain level, he can prove unstoppable against standard defensemen, eliminating the sense of fair play. A class system might not suit everyone's tastes, but I’m sure most would agree an improved customization suite a-la EASHL (with stadium builder) would also serve Pro Clubs well in FIFA 18.

Additional Leagues

FIFA 17 has a fair share of leagues, but if we’ve learnt anything from Football Manager, it’s that FIFA and PES are still far behind in this department. In particular, China’s Super League demands inclusion with its array of recent high-profile signings, while many other major leagues from across the globe are still awaiting inclusion in the series. 

Then, there are the women’s leagues. FIFA 17 only includes women’s national teams at present, and with the groundwork being implemented two years ago, FIFA 18's female game appears ready to evolve. We’d naturally like to see the National Women’s Soccer League added, but there are loads of potential choices on offer. 

Indoor Mode

If you’ve never sampled FIFA’s late-90s indoor mode, you’ve been missing out. Truthfully, it’s aged quite badly, but it provided a superbly entertaining side attraction back in the day. Indoor mode is always one of the FIFA series’ top-requested features, but has yet to make a comeback, and is now 20 years removed from its previous incarnation.

FIFA Street had it, but it just wasn’t the same. Indoor mode’s popularity stemmed from its basic variation on the core formula, featuring bouncy walls, tiny pitches and the potential for unique goals. FIFA Street's fancy tricks and features were great, but aren’t necessary here. Just a simple, barebones indoor mode would be enough to satisfy the fans after 20 long years. 

What do you want to see in FIFA 18? Let us know in the comments below.

Member Comments
# 1 dabrickashaw24 @ 04/28/17 05:19 PM
Nice article, I agree with everything you said. I believe playing against the CPU needs to be addressed in the next game. The CPU consistently achieves over 90% passing even when they are not a 'possession' based side. I believe this happens because instead of the computer ever just playing a ball into space, or booting the ball up field (which happens all the time in real life), they will perform awkward back-passes and never show a desire to go forward. I am hoping they pay more attention the gameplay and improve the single player experience. However, I bet the only major changes will come from FUT considering kids pour hundreds of dollars into packs. FUT is also going downhill for me due to the fact that there are way to many cards being put out. The best days of FUT were back when if you came across a kid who had a inform (black card), you were surprised and envious. Now every game I play, the opponent has maybe one or two gold players, and the rest are some sort of special card. I have been playing fifa since 2010 and this is the first year I have lost interest.

# 2 Simple Mathematics @ 04/28/17 05:40 PM
Bring back creation center!

# 3 SocaWarrior13 @ 04/28/17 05:56 PM
Great piece, nailed everything on the head.

One thing I'd like to see in unison with a revamped enhanced Transfer System would be more INTELLIGENT transfers. In my player career with Manchester United, we managed to end up with Dybala, Ibra AND Greizmann by the end of the season. That will never in hell happen. There also needs to be better AI roster and lineup management both against and with the CPU (player career ex.).

Player vs. Player needs to be slower paced and tactical like real world footy. It feels almost arcadeish and fast paced.

And as you mentioned, do SOMETHING to make career more engaging and interesting than having weekly training. After one season I don't care to continue.

# 4 SocaWarrior13 @ 04/28/17 05:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Mathematics
Bring back creation center!
AND THIS!!!! It was TOO fun making my local team or a squad with my friends and playing H2H with our squads. Custom Stadia to make along with your would be a nice add a la NHL (like Fraser said lol)

# 5 HenryClay1844 @ 04/28/17 07:19 PM
Super down on FIFA now, with little hope for 18. Career mode is a mess and gameplay was just awful this year. Yet they keep raking it in with FUT and the metacritic scores were in the 8s for 17, so its unlikely we''ll see notable changes.

# 6 Skyflame21 @ 04/29/17 10:54 AM
Badly need an online league component. Something to connect friends in battle. Much like the old Ncaa football online dynasty. Nothing pushes the game forward like bragging rights over your buddies or completing to sign that last piece that can put you over the top.

# 7 ShaiLeGran @ 04/29/17 12:13 PM
The penalty system is better the ever. And it aint hard at all to understand how it works ones you know the deal. So no. Please dont refer back to the FIFA 16 way and please keep it like this!!

# 8 statum71 @ 04/29/17 11:52 PM
More stadiums!!!!

Both licensed AND generic. So I don't have to re-use the same stadium templates for so many teams.

# 9 PhillyPhanatic14 @ 04/30/17 09:55 PM
A team that cares about the game post launch. Too many obvious bugs in the game that were never touched. And what happened to updating player hair throughout the season? Messi should not have bleached hair still. Sometimes I wonder if FIFA is being made by two college students in a dorm somewhere with how little attention the game gets.

# 10 PhillyPhanatic14 @ 04/30/17 09:59 PM
Also. Do you actually want to see more attention to the women's game? Have you actually played as the women in a FIFA game? It is the more painful experience ever. They're awful. There's no need to encourage more of that.

Indoor in 98 was epic. That is a worthy addition. Maybe the footsol that was a spam leak last year too.

# 11 DBMcGee3 @ 05/01/17 04:20 PM
What's up with bringing back a full team practice mode? I could care less about dribbling around a practice arena with one player, I want to practice ALL aspects of the team game, preferably from the same camera angle that I use in the actual games. It's a great way to learn the nuances without all the presentation delays of a game, and it gives you a chance to listen to what's usually a pretty cool soundtrack while you're dicking around. The skill games are ok but we need a free practice mode.

Why would they have ever removed this?

# 12 DBMcGee3 @ 05/01/17 04:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBMcGee3
What's up with bringing back a full team practice mode? I could care less about dribbling around a practice arena with one player, I want to practice ALL aspects of the team game, preferably from the same camera angle that I use in the actual games. It's a great way to learn the nuances without all the presentation delays of a game, and it gives you a chance to listen to what's usually a pretty cool soundtrack while you're dicking around. The skill games are ok but we need a free practice mode.

Why would they have ever removed this?
*Couldn't care less

# 13 PPerfect_CJ @ 05/02/17 09:27 AM
The ability to edit a player to be a CM. Not just a CAM or CDM. A regular old run of the mill Central Midfielder. I have no clue how they've managed to screw that up for 2 years running. Probably the same way they continue to screw up the winter gear.

*Copied and pasted from another thread. Still applies.*

# 14 MIZHawks @ 05/02/17 11:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocaWarrior13
Great piece, nailed everything on the head.

One thing I'd like to see in unison with a revamped enhanced Transfer System would be more INTELLIGENT transfers. In my player career with Manchester United, we managed to end up with Dybala, Ibra AND Greizmann by the end of the season. That will never in hell happen. There also needs to be better AI roster and lineup management both against and with the CPU (player career ex.).
Fullheartedly agreed. The CPU especially loves to load ManU up with strikers. They usually end up with one new elite one a window when it makes little sense for them to. Also loads Chelsea up with CBs like crazy. Definitely so much room for improvement there.

# 15 HenryClay1844 @ 05/02/17 01:43 PM
I honestly wonder if anyone at EA plays the career mode for more than basic ten minutes of testing. Seriously, sim a few season, play all of the games in a season, listen to commentary, read the emails from players, complete the season objectives. Are you happy with the state of the game? Do you think this is a fair representation of what will happen to a football team or league over a period of time? Is playing the AI for a 40 game season enjoyable and diverse? Would love some comment from EA? It amazes me that people can get mad at Ramone from MLB who comes here and comments and listens to fans, compare his earnest efforts to what we get from FIFA.

# 16 PPerfect_CJ @ 05/02/17 10:48 PM
The biggest thing for me: Fix the stupid ratings system so that if a star player on the CPU controlled teams has a bad game the first game of the season, he's not stuck on the BENCH for the rest of the year!

# 17 Rellikpoc @ 05/05/17 09:24 PM
I would like the ability to control multiple teams in one offline manager career rather than controlling only one team. It would be nice to have multiple users have the ability to control separate teams in an online career mode. Career mode co-op where you and a few of your friends could control your favorite team together would also be enjoyable. I would also love to see career stats for players. It would be nice to chart the growth of the youth phenom or key player you signed a few years ago by being able to view his profile and see if his goal and assists tallies improved or dropped over the last few years. Commentary has to adjust more. Every national team game has just about the same commentary "(enter any country name here)________ are asking questions."

# 18 Nikolasm5 @ 05/07/17 05:58 PM
This may be far fetched but create a league

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

# 19 BJNT @ 05/07/17 10:23 PM
Playable reserve leagues for our younger players. Including the USL for those of us that play with MLS teams.

Expansion mode. The MLS has said it wants to expand to 28 teams allow us to either create a team or take non-affiliated USL teams (Sacramento Republic for example) and add them to the MLS or even other leagues around the world.

# 20 Thrash13 @ 05/08/17 07:00 PM
Adding USL teams would be a nice start for me along with a much improved MLS Career Mode. It's slowly become a top 8 or 10 league in the world, and it deserves more attention. Adding USL teams would sure help with the US Open Cup if nothing else.

I've enjoyed FIFA 17 quite a bit, but I'm all for career mode additions. I'm not a big FUT fan, so I always hope less attention is focused on that. I'm out of luck I know! Lol

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.