Home
Feature Article
Madden NFL 18 MUT Squads Bring Back Online Team Play

Hey Madden Fans!

My name is Jake Stein, a Producer on Madden Ultimate Team, and I have the privilege of writing the first developer blog of the Madden NFL 18 season. It’s such an exciting time as both a developer and a fan of Madden. From the developer side, we can finally see the finish line as all the planning, long hours, and polish are starting to translate into a fun, cohesive game. From the fans side, it’s your time to start getting drops of information about the new game and imagine what your experience will be, come launch night.

It’s also a time where fans love to analyze any officially released information, tweets, or videos in order to predict what Madden might be teasing.

So let’s talk a little bit about what was found by a few internet sleuths – “2-6 Online Competitive Multiplayer.”

No, that wasn’t a misprint. I’m so thrilled to officially announce what many of you have already assumed was true - the return of online team play in Madden with our new feature called “MUT Squads”. MUT Squads brings what you loved about online team from the past and blends it with the team building power and limitless lineup combinations that are offered in Madden Ultimate Team.

Let’s get into some specifics. Every MUT Squads games will start 3 vs 3. You do this by clicking on the MUT Squads tile inside of Madden Ultimate Team and entering the MUT Squads lobby. Here, you can invite your friends to go into game together or by entering matchmaking on your own where we will pair you up with two other players. To be perfectly clear, no matter if it’s just you or one other friend in the MUT Squads lobby, we will find the additional players it takes to enter a MUT Squads game.

There’s also another very important decision to be made while in the MUT Squads lobby, and this is where we really start to differentiate ourselves from previous iterations of online team play, you must choose one of three roles. The three available roles are Offense Captain, Defense Captain, and Head Coach. Each role is uniquely crafted so let’s dive in a little deeper on each one of those.

Offense Captain:

• Brings in all players from Offense and Special Teams for that user’s MUT Lineup
  • Brings in the offensive playbook and calls every play on Offense
  • When on Offense, you control the QB at the start of every play
  • However they are not player-locked to the QB post-snap. If you call a run play and neither of the other two human-controlled players are on the HB, the player controlling the QB will immediately switch and become the ball carrier
  • Controls all audibles and adjustments on Offense
  • When on Defense, the user can control any of the 11 players on the field not controlled by another user
  • There is no locking into only linebackers, defensive line, or secondary

Defense Captain:

• Brings in all players from Defense for that user’s MUT Lineup
  • Brings in the defensive playbook and calls every play on Defense
  • When on Defense, the user can control any of the 11 players on the field not controlled by another user
  • Controls all audibles and adjustments on Defense
  • When on Offense, the user can control anyone besides the QB at the start of any given play

Head Coach:

• Brings in the Head Coach, Stadium, and Uniforms for that user’s MUT Lineup
  • Calls timeouts and determines the results of penalties for the Squad
  • When on Offense, the user can control  anyone besides the QB at the start of any given play

As you can tell, the Head Coach role has a little less responsibility in your MUT Squad on the field. We have found this role is perfect for your friends that may be newer to Madden Ultimate Team or aren’t ready for the challenge of calling plays, but still want to experience cooperative Madden. For your more experienced squads, you can pass around Head Coach responsibilities. While the Head Coach may not be bringing in the players, it will still be important to make sure all three players on a MUT Squad are on the same page and working together to come away with the victory.

Now that you understand the roles, you’re ready to jump into game. As I mentioned earlier, each game will start off 3 vs 3. In the event that a player must leave early before the session is completed, the game will continue on and the role of the player who left will be transferred to someone else still left in the game. For example, if your Offensive Captain leaves early, the play call and QB responsibilities will move to the Head Coach and everything else stays exactly the same and the game is still able to be played to completion.

There are quite a few new gameplay mechanics that have been designed with MUT Squads in mind but those details will have to wait for another blog. Just know that it’s never been more fun to play the skill positions like it will be in Madden NFL 18!

Like what you hear but you just can’t wait for Madden NFL 18 to drop on August 22nd? Well you’re in luck. MUT Squads will be fully playable on the floor at EA Play in Hollywood, California from June 10-12. Swing by and grab the sticks and ask one of us any questions about Madden you have. And speaking of answering questions, we’re going to do another Reddit AMA (ask me anything) at 4pm EST on June 2nd. This AMA will specifically focus on MUT Squads and will be an opportunity for us to clear up any questions that may come up after reading this blog.

Free EA Play Tickets: http://bit.ly/2rNWLyU

Thanks for reading all the way to the end but now it’s back to the grind. I have more routes to run and passes to pick off.

-Jake

Member Comments
# 21 spoofrice11 @ 05/31/17 12:36 PM
Don't care at all about this. Hopefully they aren't spending all their time on card games.
Just wanting a good Franchise mode for a change (similar to MyLeague in NBA 2K). Hopefully we get news about it soon, so I know whether this game is a buy or wait another year...

# 22 Clappington @ 05/31/17 12:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by XtremeDunkz
Yes. If you are the offensive captain, your offensive lineup goes in. If you are the defensive captain, your defensive lineup goes in.
Didn't know if there was a difference like if you had a 1v1 MUT team and a MUT Squad team. I think the MUT squad packs is what threw me off.

# 23 redsfan4life @ 05/31/17 12:39 PM
I liked it quite a bit back on PS3. Excited to see this in action.

# 24 StayPlation82 @ 05/31/17 12:41 PM
As long as it doesn't cost any tickets i'm on board

# 25 Jr. @ 05/31/17 12:43 PM
I played team play quite a bit and it was pretty fun. I'm glad this is returning.

# 26 Mattanite @ 05/31/17 12:44 PM
Will try it, not that excited, would be great if this is possible in Play Now and offline too.

# 27 CM Hooe @ 05/31/17 01:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by XtremeDunkz
Yup, which is why we will never see a big investment in CFM again. It can't make them extra money. I fear for the year where online CFM is removed completely.
Something like half the game's audience plays Franchise. Hell, Madden NFL invented Franchise mode. It ain't going anywhere.

Anyway - I never really tried online team play when it existed in the past? I know it was a thing a lot of people wanted back, though, so I'm happy for those people. Interesting to see it tied to MUT; I'm wondering if next year's Madden competitive scene will include a 3v3 leg.

# 28 Americas Team @ 05/31/17 02:12 PM
Until players get specific player likeness and animations I will never play MUT. I wished they would have upped the number of users to 5 on 5 instead of 3 on 3, seems like it wont be much different than playing one on one.

# 29 T4VERTS @ 05/31/17 02:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
Anyway - I never really tried online team play when it existed in the past? I know it was a thing a lot of people wanted back, though, so I'm happy for those people. Interesting to see it tied to MUT; I'm wondering if next year's Madden competitive scene will include a 3v3 leg.
This makes sense when you start thinking about Esport teams. When you can bring in multiple personalities it adds another dynamic to the viewing experience. Also, Weak links in teams can be exposed creating a better strategical game.

# 30 Americas Team @ 05/31/17 02:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
This is pretty popular for NBA2k and I'm sure it will take off for Madden.
Idk, in nba users can control all the players on the court. I dont think team play works that well in football games because it's not as fun. In Madden they should have upped the number of users to 5 on 5, the more users the better.

# 31 frostbyt @ 05/31/17 02:21 PM
Lame it is for MUT as I never play that mode. Would be fun with draft champions and enough friends if that came down the road later.

# 32 frostbyt @ 05/31/17 02:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by T4VERTS
This makes sense when you start thinking about Esport teams. When you can bring in multiple personalities it adds another dynamic to the viewing experience. Also, Weak links in teams can be exposed creating a better strategical game.
I almost vomited in my mouth at the thought of hearing 6 wankers smack talking each other all at once. 2 is bad enough....blah....blah...blah....

# 33 T4VERTS @ 05/31/17 02:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Americas Team
Idk, in nba users can control all the players on the court. I dont think team play works that well in football games because it's not as fun. In Madden they should have upped the number of users to 5 on 5, the more users the better.
Jake said they started with 3 because it just felt like the right number, but it can go up if thats what the community wants.

# 34 Americas Team @ 05/31/17 03:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasprite
It's a brilliant move on their part, to be honest. It's just another step further away from simulation football and franchise, but I cant say that I wouldn't do the same thing if I were in their shoes. At the end of the day, its all about money and that's the only reason these games are even made in the first place.
Other sports games like NBA 2K and The Show don't back burner Franchise mode and authentic game-play for competitive play. Those franchises put tremendous effort into satisfying both crowds. I don't see why Madden can't do the same.

# 35 seasprite @ 05/31/17 03:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Americas Team
Other sports games like NBA 2K and The Show don't sacrifice Franchise mode and authentic game-play for competitive play. Those franchises put tremendous effort into satisfying both crowds.
I would say that franchise has definitely taken a back seat to Diamond Dynasty in MLB....IMO

# 36 Rocky @ 05/31/17 03:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasprite
It's a brilliant move on their part, to be honest. It's just another step further away from simulation football and franchise, but I cant say that I wouldn't do the same thing if I were in their shoes. At the end of the day, its all about money and that's the only reason these games are even made in the first place.
Hate to be negative but it seems like that's just where the majority is at this point. They're all kinds of ways they could've brought co-op play to Franchise.

Just think if you have up to 9 roles you can play in an organization:

Owner- Makes all decisions about relocation, stadium, hiring and firing football staff, heavily influences Football Ops.

Director of Football Operations- Controls football operations, hires and fires staff and coaches, influences public relations, influences scouting, trainer, and GM

General Manager- Signs and trades players, influences scouting and drafting.

Director of Scouting and Development- Drafts and scouts players, influences coach and trainer on development

Head Coach

Defensive Coordinator

Offensive Coordinator

Offensive Captain

Defensive Captain

With all these roles influencing one another and trying to all win a championship. Would be a great mode for both casuals who just want to be players and forget the management roles or hardcore guys who want to control everything.

# 37 seasprite @ 05/31/17 04:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky
Hate to be negative but it seems like that's just where the majority is at this point. They're all kinds of ways they could've brought co-op play to Franchise.

Just think if you have up to 9 roles you can play in an organization:

Owner- Makes all decisions about relocation, stadium, hiring and firing football staff, heavily influences Football Ops.

Director of Football Operations- Controls football operations, hires and fires staff and coaches, influences public relations, influences scouting, trainer, and GM

General Manager- Signs and trades players, influences scouting and drafting.

Director of Scouting and Development- Drafts and scouts players, influences coach and trainer on development

Head Coach

Defensive Coordinator

Offensive Coordinator

Offensive Captain

Defensive Captain

With all these roles influencing one another and trying to all win a championship. Would be a great mode for both casuals who just want to be players and forget the management roles or hardcore guys who want to control everything.
Understand and think it would be great, but that doesn't really equal extra $. They tie it in with MUT and it provides another extra revenue stream that builds on an already very profitable mode.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

# 38 JKSportsGamer1984 @ 05/31/17 04:15 PM
I would give MUT a try if players actually had signature animation packages. I've never understood the intrigue with MUT being that all players basically animate the same. For example, you can't tell the difference between a 99 overall Barry Sanders and a 99 overall Walter Payton except for their physical appearance, even though IRL their running styles were totally different smh. Until Madden is able to differentiate how players animate (especially sig running animations for RB's) I'm good on MUT.

# 39 jfsolo @ 05/31/17 05:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKSportsGamer1984
I would give MUT a try if players actually had signature animation packages. I've never understood the intrigue with MUT being that all players basically animate the same. For example, you can't tell the difference between a 99 overall Barry Sanders and a 99 overall Walter Payton except for their physical appearance, even though IRL their running styles were totally different smh. Until Madden is able to differentiate how players animate (especially sig running animations for RB's) I'm good on MUT.
I would argue that most people playing the mode don't care about signature animations or stylistically differentiating players in any way. They just want the 99 speed, juke, truck, hit power, etc, because it's really about them, the User, not the real life player that they are controlling.

# 40 Datninja619 @ 05/31/17 07:02 PM
Here's a video from Imav with exclusive info about MUT Squads.

https://youtu.be/EZpTaJAYgvc

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Operation Sports mobile app

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.