Home
Feature Article
Three Point Thursdays: Major League Baseball 2K8

In the inaugural Three Point Thursday, Matt Blumenthal reflects on his meeting with 2K Sports and looks at the upcoming Major League Baseball 2K8.

Point #1: MLB 2K8 takes pitching to the next level with the new right analog stick controls.

MLB 2K8 taps into the right analog stick’s potential in ways that no baseball game has before. The new pitching mechanic employs the right analog stick which allows you to come closer than ever to feeling as if you’re pitching in the majors -- or the playable minor leagues the game also boasts. Each pitch type has a unique motion (or “gesture”) and divides the windup and delivery into three parts, represented visually on the screen.

Throwing a fastball, for example, involves pulling back on the right analog stick to start the windup and build the effectiveness of the pitch. A circular meter appears, with the inner circle expanding to fill the outer circle as the pitch’s effectiveness grows. A pitch achieves its optimal effectiveness when the inner circle lands within the narrow white zone inside the outer circle’s border. The next motion, the gesture, begins the rapid shrinking of the inner circle. For a fastball, the gesture entails pushing the right analog stick up, while a breaking ball would have you move the stick in a semicircle. Release the stick when the now-shrinking inner circle is smallest to attain the desired release point. Be careful, however, because releasing the stick too late causes the circle to start expanding again, resulting in a loss of accuracy.

While complicated in theory, these mechanics take only a few pitches to learn and give you more input and feedback than ever before. The controls bring a greater sense of authenticity to a game that already has solid presentation. The new pitching stays fresh with a different challenge every game as the exact gesture depends on the pitch type and the handedness of the pitcher, while the speed of the moving circle varies based on the pitcher’s windup, stamina, and composure.

Point #2: The right analog throwing meter breathes life into the defensive game.

The right analog stick also plays an expanded role in the field, as throwing the ball now requires moving the stick in the direction of the base. Rather than throwing to first base by pressing the ‘B’ button on the Xbox 360 controller, you move the stick to the right and hold it for greater power. A meter shows the strength of your throw, which helps you to avoid releasing the analog stick too early or too late, which would result in an off-target throw. You also need to pay attention to the direction in which you move the stick because holding it too far from the cardinal direction of the base leads to an errant throw as well. Like pitching, throwing requires some practice, but as we learned from watching The Sandlot, you’re never too old to learn how to throw a baseball.

The fielding mechanics remain mostly unchanged but have undergone some necessary tweaks. Pulling the right trigger causes your fielder to dive for a ball, but this year you need time the dive properly too. That change seems long overdue, and thankfully you can no longer simply pull the trigger whenever you please and watch as your fielder, no matter how incompetent, makes the brilliant diving catch. The theme of reducing the simplicity of pulling off brilliant defensive plays continues as you now need to be in the right place at the right time before the outfielder automatically goes up to attempt to pull back a home run.

Also gone from last year’s game are the awkward leaning catches where a fielder would position himself under a fly ball and lock into position while the ball proceeds to drift, leading to the player having to lean over to make a shoestring catch. Users can now maneuver the defender until the last second to ensure that he has set up right underneath the ball, rendering the leaning catches unnecessary. These changes to the fielding contribute to the elimination of the “herky-jerky” feel the animations showed at times in last year’s game.

Point #3: Oh, and you can still hit using the right analog stick too.

The Swing Stick returns as the hitting model, although the distinction between contact swings and power swings has disappeared. This change means a greater reliance on timing, pitch location, and player abilities and it emphasizes the difference in styles between slap hitters like Ichiro and sluggers like David Ortiz. The return to the roots of hitting, along with the more precise fielding controls, should bring about a greater variety of hits to a game that was plagued last year by a lack of diversity in that area.

The Point: Right analog stick controls are here to stay.

A decade has now passed since Sony introduced the DualShock controller for the original PlayStation. In that time, we’ve seen successful right analog stick controls such as NBA Live’s Freestyle controls and NBA 2K’s Shot Stick. We’ve also witnessed failed attempts like Madden’s Playmaker and QB Vision features which quickly saw their roles reduced in subsequent releases.

Excellent right analog stick controls don’t merely give you more control over the action. They utilize realistic motions to allow you to participate in the game in ways that simple button pressing can not. Games like NHL 08, skate, and MLB 2K8

thrive with the implementation of these controls because they’re not just adding a fun little twist to an existing model; rather, they’re building a completely new paradigm with these controls as the foundation. With these three successes in the last year alone, it’s time for other games to step up to the plate.

Member Comments
# 1 ehh @ 02/28/08 01:13 PM
Quote:
While complicated in theory, these mechanics take only a few pitches to learn and give you more input and feedback than ever before. The controls bring a greater sense of authenticity to a game that already has solid presentation. The new pitching stays fresh with a different challenge every game as the exact gesture depends on the pitch type and the handedness of the pitcher, while the speed of the moving circle varies based on the pitcher’s windup, stamina, and composure.
That is awesome, similar to sig-style jumpshot timing in 2K's bball games with additional variables.

EDIT: I also didn't know the R-Stick would control throwing in the field as well, that's very cool. Beats using pressing the four face buttons and will hopefully lead to more variety.

# 2 bigfnjoe96 @ 02/28/08 01:24 PM
I am really looking forward to the NEW Total Control Analog System. I kept hearing the REALISM from Matt, which always a good thing..

# 3 boomhauertjs @ 02/28/08 01:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott4171
I work from home. I checked out the marketplace. Spiderwalk Chronicles was the only demo up. Now they took that down and it seems like they maybe be updating today. Lets see if we get MLB 2k8 today or tomorrow.
Hmmm, could be good news. Nice catch Scott.

# 4 Blzer @ 02/28/08 01:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh
That is awesome, similar to sig-style jumpshot timing in 2K's bball games with additional variables.

EDIT: I also didn't know the R-Stick would control throwing in the field as well, that's very cool. Beats using pressing the four face buttons and will hopefully lead to more variety.
The only problem with the R-stick is for us people with HDTV lag (or "ghosting"). I sure hope this isn't too big of a problem.

# 5 pistonpete @ 02/28/08 01:36 PM
its good that the stick maneuvers change with the handedness of the pitcher. IDK that. also, the fact that every pitcher on a team doesn't have the same repertoire means there will be a challenge every game. these two things, not to mention the analog throwing interface as well as other things 2K has, like switching to baserunner, make this game fun to play. its not a strict sim but still fun and fresh. Come on now, MS and Sony get that demo up!!!!

pete

# 6 ehh @ 02/28/08 01:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
The only problem with the R-stick is for us people with HDTV lag (or "ghosting"). I sure hope this isn't too big of a problem.
At the start it will be but I think after a while you'll get a hang of it so you don't even need to look at the throw meter ala MVP.

# 7 GnarlyKing @ 02/28/08 02:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott4171
I work from home. I checked out the marketplace. Spiderwalk Chronicles was the only demo up. Now they took that down and it seems like they maybe be updating today. Lets see if we get MLB 2k8 today or tomorrow.
If you're talking about the new arrivals section, items only stay in there for a set period of time. Taking something down doesn't necessarily mean they're getting ready to put something else up. Sometimes there are several demos in there when lots of them are being put up, some times there are none for a while during slow times.

# 8 lived @ 02/28/08 03:21 PM
It's come to the point where Information is just not exciting anymore. WE NEED THE DEMO

# 9 HealyMonster @ 02/28/08 03:35 PM
I cant wait to see "five point friday"

# 10 123456dan @ 02/28/08 03:35 PM
Very good read with some new info, and it's really encouraging that he enjoyed the game. One thing i wasn't aware of is that for dives, you have to actually be in the right spot with good timing rather than hitting it when you feel and relying on an animation.

# 11 RedLine @ 02/28/08 04:10 PM
Nice article, thanks.

I noticed that dives are performed with the R trigger too but there is no mention of jumping other that it's automatic if you are in the right place at the wall in the outfield. I didn't like the sound of this, I thought we would still have to do something to climb the wall or jump for it.

Looking at the screenshots for controls posted today, there is no mention of jumping either. So is the R trigger context sensitive so that if the shortstop wants to leap to catch a ball you can use the R trigger?

Thanks for any clarification.

# 12 rjdtex @ 02/28/08 04:40 PM
Matt,

Why would you write an article about features that everyone on this site already knows about. You are dealing with an audience that knows nearly every facet of the game already. Give us some specifics about the game or don't write about anything at all. It's a nice idea to have a regular feature, however, you should consider whether or not your article adds to what has already been a lengthy conversation on OS.

Change is great, but please don't just pile on to the ever mounting pile of poor PR that is the game industry.

Also, if you want to see a great article concerning this game then you need to check out Jeff Robinson at Gametap. I understand you have a theme of "Three point Thursdays" which is great, I guess, but you need to bring the originality man.

Ciao

# 13 Blzer @ 02/28/08 05:05 PM
He might as well have called him "Mark".

# 14 bigfnjoe96 @ 02/28/08 05:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
He might as well have called him "Mark".
... ...

# 15 Heelfan71 @ 02/28/08 05:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjdtex
Matt,

Why would you write an article about features that everyone on this site already knows about. You are dealing with an audience that knows nearly every facet of the game already. Give us some specifics about the game or don't write about anything at all. It's a nice idea to have a regular feature, however, you should consider whether or not your article adds to what has already been a lengthy conversation on OS.

Change is great, but please don't just pile on to the ever mounting pile of poor PR that is the game industry.

Also, if you want to see a great article concerning this game then you need to check out Jeff Robinson at Gametap. I understand you have a theme of "Three point Thursdays" which is great, I guess, but you need to bring the originality man.

Ciao
Why would your write a long post of nothing but crying, something OS already knows about. You are dealing with an audience that has heard every complaint possible. It's a nice idea to whine about free info, however, you should consider whether or not your crying adds to what has already been a lengthy cry session on OS.

Change is great but please don't just pile onto the ever mounting pile of whining on a message board.

Also, if you want to see something great, check out Blzer's swing video clip. I understand you have a theme of "crying when you don't get something you want", which is great, I guess, but you need to bring some originality when you whine on OS

# 16 Blzer @ 02/28/08 05:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heelfan71
Also, if you want to see something great, check out Blzer's swing video clip.
I mean you can't say I wasn't heard.

Me

MLB 2K6

# 17 Sully @ 02/28/08 05:23 PM
The analog pitching and throwing controls sound similar to what was used in the NCAA MVP series. How do they compare?

# 18 Blzer @ 02/28/08 05:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully
The analog pitching and throwing controls sound similar to what was used in the NCAA MVP series. How do they compare?
Analog throwing is probably a direct rip. Maybe a different overhead graphic and some subtle differences in coding, but the exact same idea.

Pitching is quite different. In fact, pitching in MLB 2K8 is much closer to MLB 2K7 than MVP NCAA Baseball. Think of the same ol' "hold as it grows for more effort, then time your execution properly as the reticule shrinks for maximum accuracy." The main difference here is how the pitch is executed, however. You've seen what it looks like I assume, so basically each pitch has its unique "windup" and "wrist snap". This is not the case in MVP. In MVP, you do your pull back with the right stick, and based on how far inside/outside you're pitching it will determine how far to the left or right you'll launch that right stick forward. The interface sort of looks like a curved trapezoid, getting fatter at the top (where you locate). In MLB 2K8, you also have full control of where you're attempting to locate in both height and width (?), and your execution should be the same every time depending on what pitch you throw.

I don't really know if that made sense. I guess we can just look at the gameplay videos of both games and compare.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.