Home
Feature Article
NBA 2K9: Five Teams You Should Expect Online

When you go online in NBA 2K9 to play a game or two, you are probably hoping to be playing against the Milwaukee Bucks or Memphis Grizzlies. On the other hand, the realist in you knows though that it has no chance of happening. These five teams are the teams you had better get used to playing against in NBA 2K9.

5. Miami Heat

I know what you are saying. Miami won 15 games last season and they should be nowhere near this list because of that fact. However, this was a team who to sent Chris Quinn and Earl Barron out on the court last April. It seems everyone has written off Dwyane Wade as injury prone even though I’d say he is healthy after he effectively appeared at Beijing and won gold for the United States. Shawn Marion joined the team late in the season and only played in eleven games with Wade, so that tandem is unproven heading into this season. Being terrible wasn’t all bad for the Heat anyways -- it did allow them to grab Michael Beasley with the second pick in the draft. A strong inside presence would put this team with the Detroit’s and Boston’s in the Eastern Conference. For now you’ll have to deal with the trio of Shawn Marion, Michael Beasley, and Dwyane Wade when you hop online.

4. Houston Rockets

Big men are a pain in video game basketball. They’re tough to guard and they will grab every rebound possible. One team with the biggest man in the game is the Houston Rockets. Unless Gheorghe Muresan comes back for the Bullets, the Rockets still have Yao Ming. The Rockets still have Luis Scola, Shane Battier, and Rafer Alston as well. Houston also has this one guy named Tracy McGrady who averaged 22 points a game, which is ironically fitting since he led the Rockets to a 22 game win streak last year without the injured Yao Ming. No, TMac has never made it out of the first round of the playoffs, but he’s never had Yao Ming and Ron Artest in their respective primes. Nobody would be surprised to see Houston much further than that in 2009.

Left: Expect McGrady and the Rockets to get a lot of playtime this season online.

3. New Orleans Hornets

The Hornets exploded onto the scene and had fourth best record in all of the NBA last season. You can attribute the surge to third year point guard Chris Paul and the rise of David West. Both deserved their All Star bids last season. Part of their success also comes from Tyson Chandler. Chandler averaged 12 boards last year, including four on the offensive end. The offensive rebounds allow him to pass the ball back to Paul, or kick it out to Peja Stojakovic who hit 44% of his three pointers last season. The Hornets are a balanced team who can knock you out with sharp shooting or getting to the basket and banging under the rim. I know two things you can be prepare for this season with anyone using the Hornets, a tough game and a few CP3 alley-oops.

2. Los Angeles Lakers

Remember when Kobe Bryant was 'this close' to packing his bags for Chicago? Fast forward to a year later and he’s the MVP on a Los Angeles team that went to the Finals. However, Bryant didn’t do it all by his self last season. Lakers General Manager Mitch Kupchak made the move in February to bring former All Star Pau Gasol from Memphis. Add that to Lamar Odom and Derek Fisher and the Lakers plowed through the playoffs and were two games from another NBA title. Don't forget about 20-year-old Andrew Bynum who was averaging 13 points a game and 10 rebounds per game before injuring his knee in January. The Lakers have already proved they are the best in the west.  You can also argue the Lakers against the Celtics until you are blue in the face, but it might not get you anywhere. Until then, there can only be one.

Expect to see a lot of Paul Pierce and the Celtics online this season.

1. Boston Celtics

You double team KG, you put the clamps on Paul Pierce and there is Ray Allen hitting a three pointer in the corner. Switch any name with another in that sentence and that is how it feels playing against Boston. No matter what you do, no team in the NBA is as deep. Anybody who disagrees can watch the 2008 NBA Finals. The inside dominance from Kevin Garnett, the automatic shooting from Ray Allen, and the killer instinct of Paul Pierce will be tough to beat. Not to mention the inflated ratings of their championship winning role players and you have a rough match up.

Are the Lakers better than Boston? Will Miami stink again? Was New Orleans a fluke? Will Yao and Ron Artest become best friends? Use the comments box below to let me know what you think!

NBA 2K9 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 Chi Dynasty12 @ 09/02/08 04:39 PM
Lakers, Celtics, Suns, Rockets, 76ers

I'm Chicago 99% of the time though.

# 22 H to the G @ 09/02/08 04:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican
I know who he was. He was NOT worthy of a 99 dunk rating is my point.
Probably not, but the 99 dunk rating was handed out like fliers and several players received it when it wasn't deserving.

# 23 DC @ 09/02/08 04:51 PM
There weren't THAT many 99 dunk ratings on the game. Kobe and TMAC also didn't deserve it but WHY the hell did DAVID NOEL get one still baffles me till this day

I was seriously mad at that man.....

# 24 rodizell @ 09/02/08 05:12 PM
Yes I'm very serious, and I just don't like people disrespecting my squads, Bucks, Packers, Brewers, Badgers, or the Golden Eagles.

Then won't play against them, if your not into sports games why are you even on the site, and for your info, guy who says about playing players like myself, that's why on 2K I am 750 (89%) Feedback which means that a lot of ballas like to ball against me because I play straight up ball, with no glitching, so your opinion is incorrect cuz, please try again.

# 25 asu666 @ 09/02/08 05:40 PM
I'm surprised that the Blazers didn't make the list. If Miles doesn't play 10 games in boston this year, I expect them to be very good for a very long time.

# 26 Hooch20 @ 09/02/08 06:58 PM
I'll go in with the Clips.

PG: Baron Davis, Jason Williams, Jason Hart

SG: Cuttino Mobley, Eric Gordon

SF: Al Thornton, Ricky Davis, Steve Novak

PF: Marcus Camby, Tim Thomas

C: Chris Kaman, Brian Skinner, DeAndre Jordan

They have it all right now. They can run with Baron, J-Will, and the wings they have. Have a post player in Kaman. Two of the best rebounders and shot blockers in the league with Kaman and Camby. Can shoot the 3 with Baron, J-WIll, Ricky, Cuttino, Gordon, Thornton, Thomas, and Novak who can bomb from 3.

The depth and talent are there, but injuries and chemistry could kill them. It just can't kill them online.

# 27 ESCOfrmJC @ 09/02/08 07:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooch20
I'll go in with the Clips.

PG: Baron Davis, Jason Williams, Jason Hart

SG: Cuttino Mobley, Eric Gordon

SF: Al Thornton, Ricky Davis, Steve Novak

PF: Marcus Camby, Tim Thomas

C: Chris Kaman, Brian Skinner, DeAndre Jordan

They have it all right now. They can run with Baron, J-Will, and the wings they have. Have a post player in Kaman. Two of the best rebounders and shot blockers in the league with Kaman and Camby. Can shoot the 3 with Baron, J-WIll, Ricky, Cuttino, Gordon, Thornton, Thomas, and Novak who can bomb from 3.

The depth and talent are there, but injuries and chemistry could kill them. It just can't kill them online.
i agree with this i play with the clippers a good amount of games now. i can only imagine how fun theyre going to be in 2k9 with the new squad. i also like playing with the rockets. battier and his sexy defense i know ill be using clips and rockets next year with double defense in battier and artest.

# 28 eko718 @ 09/02/08 07:10 PM
I think Philly and the Blazers will be two very popular teams as well.

# 29 ITSFAVRENOTFARVE @ 09/02/08 07:16 PM
Nice to see someone else who uses the Bucks online....

# 30 Da-Man @ 09/02/08 07:16 PM
This is what i think the top 5 will be..
5. Knicks
4. Bulls
3. Bucks
2. Pacers
1. Grizzlies
The most used player will be Kwame Brown.

# 31 FUBLU @ 09/02/08 07:39 PM
1. Rockets (They have the best of both worlds)
2. Lakers
3. Celtics
4. Hornets
5. Suns

# 32 ajwines64 @ 09/02/08 09:01 PM
I will roll with the pacers my home town team. Should be better with T.J., rush, and hibbert now. Should be fun to use unlike last year which was a chore.

# 33 ProfessaPackMan @ 09/02/08 09:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodizell
Yes I'm very serious, and I just don't like people disrespecting my squads, Bucks, Packers, Brewers, Badgers, or the Golden Eagles.

Then won't play against them, if your not into sports games why are you even on the site, and for your info, guy who says about playing players like myself, that's why on 2K I am 750 (89%) Feedback which means that a lot of ballas like to ball against me because I play straight up ball, with no glitching, so your opinion is incorrect cuz, please try again.
I smell cheese.

# 34 DubTrey1 @ 09/02/08 09:24 PM
Had mention how we can't get our boy TMac out of the first round huh? LOL... this year is the year.... But I see alot of Rockets online, and cheesers going with the one man show Bron Bron alot - Other than that, list looks about right.

# 35 DC @ 09/02/08 10:09 PM
Quote:

LOL @ Referencing your feedback rating. What the hell does that prove? A bunch of ******** folks grading papers and you brag about having a 4.0?

# 36 texbuk84 @ 09/02/08 11:10 PM
you can expect portland to be on there also because i'm ballin with them. come see me.

# 37 H to the G @ 09/03/08 02:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican
There weren't THAT many 99 dunk ratings on the game. Kobe and TMAC also didn't deserve it but WHY the hell did DAVID NOEL get one still baffles me till this day

I was seriously mad at that man.....
Yes, there actually was quite a few 99's and 98's handed out.

I don't know why he was given a 99, maybe it was an easter egg.

# 38 BDM313 @ 09/03/08 05:43 AM
Lakers
Celtics
Hornets
Rockets
76ers

IMO 76ers will be a solid team to use online
But I play with the Pistons and Lakers alot
but ill be learning all the teams because
its alot of nice squads this year

# 39 eDotd @ 09/03/08 10:40 AM
Quote:
that's why on 2K I am 750 (89%) Feedback which means that a lot of ballas like to ball against me

# 40 DC @ 09/03/08 10:49 AM
Right he is throwing out those damn feedback %'s as if they mean ANYTHING. That dude is probably from the inner city of Milwuakee.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.