Home
Feature Article
NBA 2K9: Five Teams You Should Expect Online

When you go online in NBA 2K9 to play a game or two, you are probably hoping to be playing against the Milwaukee Bucks or Memphis Grizzlies. On the other hand, the realist in you knows though that it has no chance of happening. These five teams are the teams you had better get used to playing against in NBA 2K9.

5. Miami Heat

I know what you are saying. Miami won 15 games last season and they should be nowhere near this list because of that fact. However, this was a team who to sent Chris Quinn and Earl Barron out on the court last April. It seems everyone has written off Dwyane Wade as injury prone even though I’d say he is healthy after he effectively appeared at Beijing and won gold for the United States. Shawn Marion joined the team late in the season and only played in eleven games with Wade, so that tandem is unproven heading into this season. Being terrible wasn’t all bad for the Heat anyways -- it did allow them to grab Michael Beasley with the second pick in the draft. A strong inside presence would put this team with the Detroit’s and Boston’s in the Eastern Conference. For now you’ll have to deal with the trio of Shawn Marion, Michael Beasley, and Dwyane Wade when you hop online.

4. Houston Rockets

Big men are a pain in video game basketball. They’re tough to guard and they will grab every rebound possible. One team with the biggest man in the game is the Houston Rockets. Unless Gheorghe Muresan comes back for the Bullets, the Rockets still have Yao Ming. The Rockets still have Luis Scola, Shane Battier, and Rafer Alston as well. Houston also has this one guy named Tracy McGrady who averaged 22 points a game, which is ironically fitting since he led the Rockets to a 22 game win streak last year without the injured Yao Ming. No, TMac has never made it out of the first round of the playoffs, but he’s never had Yao Ming and Ron Artest in their respective primes. Nobody would be surprised to see Houston much further than that in 2009.

Left: Expect McGrady and the Rockets to get a lot of playtime this season online.

3. New Orleans Hornets

The Hornets exploded onto the scene and had fourth best record in all of the NBA last season. You can attribute the surge to third year point guard Chris Paul and the rise of David West. Both deserved their All Star bids last season. Part of their success also comes from Tyson Chandler. Chandler averaged 12 boards last year, including four on the offensive end. The offensive rebounds allow him to pass the ball back to Paul, or kick it out to Peja Stojakovic who hit 44% of his three pointers last season. The Hornets are a balanced team who can knock you out with sharp shooting or getting to the basket and banging under the rim. I know two things you can be prepare for this season with anyone using the Hornets, a tough game and a few CP3 alley-oops.

2. Los Angeles Lakers

Remember when Kobe Bryant was 'this close' to packing his bags for Chicago? Fast forward to a year later and he’s the MVP on a Los Angeles team that went to the Finals. However, Bryant didn’t do it all by his self last season. Lakers General Manager Mitch Kupchak made the move in February to bring former All Star Pau Gasol from Memphis. Add that to Lamar Odom and Derek Fisher and the Lakers plowed through the playoffs and were two games from another NBA title. Don't forget about 20-year-old Andrew Bynum who was averaging 13 points a game and 10 rebounds per game before injuring his knee in January. The Lakers have already proved they are the best in the west.  You can also argue the Lakers against the Celtics until you are blue in the face, but it might not get you anywhere. Until then, there can only be one.

Expect to see a lot of Paul Pierce and the Celtics online this season.

1. Boston Celtics

You double team KG, you put the clamps on Paul Pierce and there is Ray Allen hitting a three pointer in the corner. Switch any name with another in that sentence and that is how it feels playing against Boston. No matter what you do, no team in the NBA is as deep. Anybody who disagrees can watch the 2008 NBA Finals. The inside dominance from Kevin Garnett, the automatic shooting from Ray Allen, and the killer instinct of Paul Pierce will be tough to beat. Not to mention the inflated ratings of their championship winning role players and you have a rough match up.

Are the Lakers better than Boston? Will Miami stink again? Was New Orleans a fluke? Will Yao and Ron Artest become best friends? Use the comments box below to let me know what you think!

NBA 2K9 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 BOSsTOwN @ 09/04/08 02:09 PM
still running with my Celts

2. rockets
3.lakers
suns
heat

# 62 spursfan @ 09/04/08 02:14 PM
Man the best teams in rel life don't matter. Most ppl will use these teams
Lakers
Suns
Rockets
Celtics
Caveilers
I'll have to wait to see what team I'll use. Depends on how well the new lockdown defense works. Last year I liked the nuggets and magic. I'm still probaly run with the nuggets, even though they play no d and camby's gone.

# 63 Real2KInsider @ 09/05/08 07:23 AM
I didn't bother to read the article but from what I saw the guy was dead wrong.

1. Lakers
2. Rockets
3. Suns
4. Cavaliers
5. Mavericks

That's the 2k8 top 5 and it's not going to change.

6-10 might change, but def not 1-5.

6. Raptors (Bosh, Jermaine, 3pt shooters)
7. Magic (Howard, shooters)
8. Pistons (Still the same team, watch Stuckey be overrated)
9. Nuggets (No Camby but they still have Iverson/Melo/Smith)
10. Sixers (Brand, improved young players mean you can win without Iguodala cheese)

Next 10 in no order

Blazers (Oden, hopefully improved Roy and Aldridge, their young players)

Heat lost Ricky and J-Will to the Clippers. Doesn't matter how good the frontline and Wade might be, nobody is gonna want to use the non-Wade guards. Expect to see a lot of Marion at SG this year.

Celtics would get used more if Rondo weren't badly underrated. Posey, Cassell, and Brown will be gone too.

Hornets have no dunkers are are only used by reach abusers. They'll get used more with Posey replacing Peterson.

Jazz are still percieved as slow/boring team and don't have much defense up front (only dunker is Brewer too).

Spurs are like the Pistons except far less popular, despite being better.

Clippers will take Warriors place as the #1 used mediocre team.

Warriors will still be used since Monta will probably get a huge boost and they still have athletic fastbreak team.

Wizards will be back now that Arenas is healthy

Hawks still have the Josh Smith cheese going for them. Losing Childress won't bother anybody if they improved Marvin Williams.

Bottom 10
Bulls (only team in bottom 10 that will see regular use - they might lose Ben Gordon for nothing which gives them a very mediocre offensive backcourt (Rose, Hinrich, Hughes, Thabo).

Bobcats (no fans, they do have dunkers, which is only reason they ever see use)
Knicks (only used by NY fans, probably wont get used at all if they trade Randolph for Darko and Jaric - the current rumor)
Bucks (team has no fans, stars have no fans, who picks a team to use Richard Jefferson when you can pick Sixers?)
Nets (no Kidd/RJ)
Thunder (only got Durant and Sonics fans probably ain't pickin them)
Grizzlies (No Mike Miller, no Navarro, might replace Darko with Zach Randolph which I guess makes them almost usable)
Lakers (Just making sure you're still paying attention)
T'Wolves (Still a terrible offensive team, at least they have Mike Miller this year)
Pacers (Just traded Jermaine for a slight upgrade over Tinsley)
Kings (Nobody picked them BEFORE they just gave up Artest for nothing. Rememeber when they were #1 in 2k4?)

# 64 HeavenlyTouch @ 09/06/08 06:58 PM
He completely forgot about Philli and the Raptors..

Who's not going to want to use Jamario Moon's dunks, with CB4 and JO on the inside .. as well as calderon's shooting and kapono..

Philli will be my personal favorite to use this year.. are you kidding me? .. just look at this lineup.. http://www.nba.com/sixers/roster/

and last but not least, the trailblazers.

You want to tell me using Greg Oden, Brandon Roy, Rudy Fernandez, Jerryd Bayless, Lamarcus Aldridge, and Travis Outlaw isn't going to be more fun than New Orleans and Miami?

all 3 teams I listed here will be more often used than Miami

# 65 fluent2332 @ 09/07/08 12:25 AM
I'm sure Philly will have some bandwagon jumpers soon, which sucks because I'm pretty sure I was one of the only people who played with them on 2k8. But I'm also sure that the Cavs/Lakers/Rockets will still be the top 3 teams used.

# 66 thesniper321 @ 09/15/08 04:00 PM
don't undestimate the nuggets

# 67 Po Pimp @ 09/15/08 04:40 PM
The Bulls will get picked online. Maybe not as much as LA or Cleveland, or Houston, but they will be top 10. Reason why? Rose.

Now this all depends on what type of rating they gave him, but if you compare him to players from last year's game, Rose should have atleast a 95 speed, 84 dunk rating, and maybe an 88-90 handles. For the cheesers, those are the only ratings that matter...those are the only ratings they need. I just don't see why the top pick in the draft in one of the most popular cities/teams in the world wouldn't get a look. Plus I forecast the Rose to Thomas oops all day.

# 68 bateman11 @ 09/15/08 04:43 PM
Lakers are my favorite team, but I doubt I will use them very often. Reason being everyone else always gets them. Not because they like them, but because they are the best. Gayness.

# 69 JWiLL02 @ 09/15/08 10:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluent2332
I'm sure Philly will have some bandwagon jumpers soon, which sucks because I'm pretty sure I was one of the only people who played with them on 2k8. But I'm also sure that the Cavs/Lakers/Rockets will still be the top 3 teams used.
I ran my line up of

Lou Williams
Iggy
Carney
Thaddeus
Dalembert/J Smith

for a good 150 games! Carney and Young were the best 70 rated players in the game. They scored like they were rated in the 90s. Lou Williams was a beast after the last roster update, and Iggy's steal rating went from 85 to 91 for some reason. I loved that team.

You're right it'll be disappointing seeing all the bandwagon jumpers. Young's 3 Pt rating is going to take a huge hit though. Probably down to the low 70s.

The Raptors have arguably the largest fanbase on the internet, and probably one of the largest on 2k8, but the team wasn't good enough for them to use consistently.

With the addition of JO and the fact that Calderon and Parker will be rated in the high 80s for 3, with Kapono being a low 90, you should more consistent use of them. Moon will probably be far too effective offensively aswell, and he'll probably be ridiculous on defense.

# 70 CallMeDrop @ 09/16/08 08:13 AM
1.Rockets
2.Celtics
3.Lakers
4.Suns
5.Cavs

I expect these teams...but if you pick the Cavs expect to take a lot of L's this year. Especially playing against any of these teams I listed above them.

# 71 geowalla @ 09/22/08 11:21 PM
I would put portland in there just too many good players there stacked

# 72 steve baker @ 09/29/08 12:24 PM
5 top teams to play with

cleveland
lakers
nuggets
mavs
pistons

# 73 notque @ 09/29/08 03:02 PM
I play as the Pacers, so you should expect them if you play me

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.