Home
Feature Article
OS Madden 10 Preview: AFC West

The AFC West was arguably one of the NFL’s worst divisions during the 2008 season. This fact alone led to one of the most wild offseasons in division history. The Chargers re-signed Sproles, the Raiders brought in an impact receiver, the Chiefs made a huge splash at QB, and the Broncos fired a legendary coach and ran their franchise quarterback out of town.

Will these wholesale changes be enough to make the AFC West relevant come playoff time, or will 2009 be another year of infamy for fans of this once great division?

1. San Diego Chargers

San Diego’s re-signing of Darren Sproles (85 OVR, 94 SPD) means that the Chargers offense will once again be far better eye candy than the Chargers cheerleaders. Sproles, along with LaDainian Tomlinson (94 OVR), Antonio Gates (95 OVR), Vincent Jackson (84 OVR), Philip Rivers (89 OVR) and Chris Chambers (78 OVR, 88 SPD) headline one of the best offenses in recent memory. Add in the fact that the Chargers offensive line is extremely strong -- Kris Dielman (92 OVR), Marcus McNeill (89 OVR), Nick Hardwick (89 OVR) -- and you have a multi-faceted offense that should score in bunches via the air and ground.

As if San Diego’s offense was not dominant enough, the defense could give even the most high-powered offenses fits come Sunday. Luis Castillo (89 OVR) and Jamal Williams (93 OVR) will anchor the line, while Shaun Phillips (89 OVR) and Shawne Merriman (89 OVR) will handle the linebacking duties with ease. There is some question about whether Merriman will be available come the start of the season because of his shot at love (or should I say choke at love) with Tila Tequila (OVR unknown). If he misses any time, it could potentially hurt the Chargers ability to pressure opposing quarterbacks until he returns -- the Chargers ranked 10th in the league in sacks in 2008 without Merriman (knee injury). Finally, Quentin Jammer (88 OVR) and Antonio Cromartie (84 OVR, 95 SPD) should shut down even the most dangerous wide-receiver tandems in the league.

The Chargers will run away with the AFC West this season, and don’t be surprised to see them playing come February -- this could be the team to beat as the season progresses.

2. Denver Broncos

The Broncos offseason was a complete train wreck. Mike Shanahan was let go, Jay Cutler was essentially let go, top pick Knowshon Moreno (81 OVR) and new starting QB Kyle Orton (74 OVR) went down with injuries during preseason, and Brandon Marshall (92 OVR) decided to go Manny Ramirez (-15 OVR) on the team, which led to an indefinite suspension. With all of these issues, how could anyone possibly think that the Broncos could finish second in this division? The answer: The Broncos always find a way to make the most out of what they have.

There’s a reason why the Broncos running backs, even no-name backs, have been consistently near the top of the NFL total yards list year in and year out: the Broncos offensive line. Ryan Clady (88 OVR), Casey Wiegmann (87 OVR) and Ben Hamilton (81 OVR) will all make life easier for whomever the Broncos decide to give the rock to. New head coach Josh McDaniels love for the pass will only help slot receiver Eddie Royal (82 OVR, 93 SPD), so look for him to have a great year if the team can find a QB that can stay healthy.

Denver will be tolerable on defense, and both Champ Bailey (96 OVR, 96 SPD) and Brian Dawkins (92 OVR) will make throwing downfield a gamble. The defensive line and linebacking corps are pretty average, with the lone bright spot being linebacker D.J. Williams (86 OVR).

I don’t see any reason why the Broncos can’t scrounge together at least six wins this season -- six wins should be enough to secure the second position in this division.

3. Kansas City Chiefs

The Chiefs made one of the biggest splashes of the offseason when they acquired QB Matt Cassel (83 OVR), and also one of the biggest splashes of the preseason when Cassel went down with a MCL sprain. Aside from Cassel, the Chiefs are going to have to rely on Larry Johnson (88 OVR) and Dwayne Bowe (86 OVR) to avoid another year filled with anemic offensive performances. Brian Waters (94 OVR) and Branden Albert (84 OVR) solidify the left side of the offensive line, with Mike Goff (80 OVR) holding down the right side. The O-line will hopefully provide enough protection for Cassel, otherwise he may find himself being carted off the field.

There’s really not too much to say about the Chiefs defense other than that it is terrible. I almost feel bad for Mike Vrabel (81 OVR), who was traded from the Patriots to head up this rag-tag bunch in KC. Youngsters Glenn Dorsey (75 OVR) and Tyson Jackson (77 OVR) have the potential to create one of the better defensive-end combos in the league, and Brandon Flowers (77 OVR) brings some decent speed to the defensive backfield. Even with the veteran linebacker, young defensive ends and speedy cornerback, opposing teams have to be salivating while awaiting a chance to take a shot at the Chiefs defense. It’s too bad that the Saints don’t get a crack at KC, Drew Brees could break every single-game passing record.

At their best, the Chiefs are a four-win team in 2009. Look for Dorsey and Jackson to blossom in the next few years, making Kansas City a contender within five years.

4. Oakland Raiders

Last but not least, the Oakland Raiders should once again find themselves in the division's cellar. As much as I love this team on paper, the Raiders never seem to be able to get it together, and I place a lot of that blame on JaMarcus Russell (72 OVR) and his questionable work ethic, which dates back to his days at LSU. Look for Bruce Gradkowski (N/A) to be starting by mid-season, and for the Raiders offensive free fall to begin shortly thereafter. Darren McFadden (79 OVR, 94 SPD) is poised to have a solid season, Darrius Heyward-Bey (76 OVR, 97 SPD) could be the impact receiver the Raiders have wanted since the departure of Randy Moss, and Zach Miller (86 OVR) has become one of the best tight ends in the AFC. If the Raiders could get a solid QB on their roster, they could have a rock-solid offense.

Defensively the Raiders have some talent, led by Kirk Morrison (87 OVR) and Thomas Howard (85 OVR) at linebacker. The one superstar on the Raiders defense is Nnamdi Asomugha (99 OVR). Look for Asomugha to have a monster year and become one of the sole reasons to tune into a Raiders game this season.

But exciting players like Asomugha and McFadden unfortunately can’t save a team with no QB and the second worst owner in all of professional sports (I’m looking at you Mr. Ford Sr.), so the Raiders will be lucky to win three games this season. But don’t complain if you are a Raiders fan, your team needs Colt McCoy or Sam Bradford more than you know.

So what are your predictions for the AFC West? Sound off below.

Madden NFL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Jackstar5 @ 09/12/09 12:46 PM
what in they world yall are gettind riduclious when talking about Jamarcus Russell that was basically his rookie season last year and had a good yeah what the hell yall be talking about I what every game and he never lost a game for what about getting sack 30 something times, what about having your te be your lead recievers i guess because he is back he is suppose to take off like vick for 50 yard td yall cant accept a black qb that knows how to stay the pocket and run offense. Okay falcons were already a playoff team before Matt Ryan got there they just had a bad season because of the vick, hall and everyone in trouble and crap I mean if your running back rush for 1700 yards and 17 td how couldnt your qb look good and the ravens defensse carried joe flacco the whole way

# 2 Jackstar5 @ 09/12/09 12:50 PM
What is vince young doing, brady quin, matt lienart, alex smith, I dont see yall talking about them lets see what strafford does I guess Jamarcus is suppose to take them to the Super Bowl in his first season what did peyton manning do his first couple of years, I mean look at Big Ben numbers when he won his first Super Bowl they werent that good

# 3 Jackstar5 @ 09/12/09 12:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackstar5
What is vince young doing, brady quin, matt lienart, alex smith, I dont see yall talking about them lets see what strafford does I guess Jamarcus is suppose to take them to the Super Bowl in his first season what did peyton manning do his first couple of years, I mean look at Big Ben numbers when he won his first Super Bowl they werent that good
Colt Mcoy and Sam Bradford good and all but they play in that Big !2 spead offense go against some Sec teams it aint no speed in the Big !2 I mean Texas Tech qb didnt even get drafted and his numbers where better than both of them dont go by video games they spread crap dont translate well in nfl look at Vince Young I hope he be successful because I dont knock players but what is he doing I cant even think of another Big !2 qb starting in the nfl can yall

# 4 Jackstar5 @ 09/12/09 01:02 PM
Quote:
Colt Mcoy and Sam Bradford good and all but they play in that Big !2 spead offense go against some Sec teams it aint no speed in the Big !2 I mean Texas Tech qb didnt even get drafted and his numbers where better than both of them dont go by video games they spread crap dont translate well in nfl look at Vince Young I hope he be successful because I dont knock players but what is he doing I cant even think of another Big !2 qb starting in the nfl can yall
I found and article you should google it Big !2 qb= Big time Bust out of all the qb from big 12 they started 15 out of 512 games and their combine and only won 1% of games Vince Young the other 14-games were started by backups from Iowa State (Seneca Wallace and Sage Rosenfels). And out of those 15-games, only six were won!

# 5 marcoyk @ 09/12/09 02:18 PM
Good write up. I agree.

# 6 SuperChargers @ 09/12/09 04:57 PM
to jackstar, most NFL scouts like McCoy and Bradford, i know big 12 has busts but i see at least one of the 2 to be good, GO SD

# 7 superstarshad @ 09/12/09 10:17 PM
Interesting write up, that failed to mention that every year 6 new teams make the playoffs. Without further ado, here we go:

1. Oakland- too much speed, solid pass rush, and an improving running game equates to 1st place

2. San Diego- Aging star running back, mediocre head coach, and an over paid QB equals a drop in production. Also, SD struggled to win the division last year.

3. Kansas City- KC is a team on the rise. Next year will be there year to make the playoffs.

4.Denver- Resembling something the cat threw up, Denver may be the worst team in the NFL

# 8 Jackstar5 @ 09/13/09 12:51 AM
this guy doesnt even know what he is talking about anyway I know i started talking about Jamarcus but broncos 2nd are you kidding me they lost their pro bowl qb culter they have no qb kyle orton was then int in preseason like crazy and he has the nerves to say raiders dnt have a qb and their star reciever Marshall dnt want to play with them plus they have a young inexperience coach that doesnt knw what he is doing another lane kiffin Kansas City just lost Tony so how and the world can they be over oakland San Diego is San Diego you dont what they are going to do I no Coach Turner aint taking them nowhere and the merriman situation can cause distractions

# 9 gutsdabeast @ 09/13/09 03:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superstarshad
Interesting write up, that failed to mention that every year 6 new teams make the playoffs. Without further ado, here we go:

1. Oakland- too much speed, solid pass rush, and an improving running game equates to 1st place

2. San Diego- Aging star running back, mediocre head coach, and an over paid QB equals a drop in production. Also, SD struggled to win the division last year.

3. Kansas City- KC is a team on the rise. Next year will be there year to make the playoffs.

4.Denver- Resembling something the cat threw up, Denver may be the worst team in the NFL
You have the Raiders #1? Everything you said is a joke. Kansas City on the rise. The just fired their OC. Their QB is a one-hit wonder. Denver will be either 1st or 2nd in the division, bet on that. San Diego has a stable situation. And that aging RB you talking bout, will be splitting carries with a scat-back. Once again your comments looked like jokes.

# 10 superstarshad @ 09/13/09 05:21 AM
@gutsdabeast
I'm an NFL guru. Get back with me at the end of the 09 campaign. And oh yeah.........have a nice day

# 11 gutsdabeast @ 09/13/09 05:50 AM
Quote:
@gutsdabeast
I'm an NFL guru. Get back with me at the end of the 09 campaign. And oh yeah.........have a nice day
Oh really? Well, can I see your crystal ball? Cause last I checked NFL gurus picked the Patriots to win the Super Bowl last year. We all know how that worked out. Don't give me the Tom Brady was hurt crap because there are 52 other players on the roster. We'll see who is closer come week 17. Go Raiders

# 12 MINATAURO @ 09/13/09 09:26 AM
Quote:

You think Denver is the worst team in the league? Wrong, they may not be superbowl caliber but could still get 8-9 wins this year.

# 13 CreatineKasey @ 09/13/09 09:59 AM
I can't see giving the Raiders any love until they play good football, which they haven't for some time now.

You guys are mentioning the Chargers as having troubles? Are you kidding me?! They have an elite QB and a solid, well rounded, talented team! They look like a top contender.

I also think the Broncos will do better than OAK and KC. They had a dramatic offseason, but it isn't like their team completely fell apart.

# 14 Jackstar5 @ 09/13/09 10:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreatineKasey
I can't see giving the Raiders any love until they play good football, which they haven't for some time now.

You guys are mentioning the Chargers as having troubles? Are you kidding me?! They have an elite QB and a solid, well rounded, talented team! They look like a top contender.

I also think the Broncos will do better than OAK and KC. They had a dramatic offseason, but it isn't like their team completely fell apart.
what are you talking about the broncos have fell apart they dont have a qb they say the raiders cant stop the run the broncos neve could plus there star reciever Marshall dont want play and they fire shannon there young inexperience coach dont know what he is doing

# 15 CreatineKasey @ 09/13/09 07:04 PM
Quote:
what are you talking about the broncos have fell apart they dont have a qb they say the raiders cant stop the run the broncos neve could plus there star reciever Marshall dont want play and they fire shannon there young inexperience coach dont know what he is doing
The Raiders haven't won 5 games in a season for 5 years. That's the worst in NFL history. KC won 2 games last season and don't look much improved. Denver was 9-7 I believe and still have some of their team in place from that season. I understand there is a different coach, but I have more faith in them at this point than their competition I previously mentioned.

P.S.

You should improve your argument by using sentences and breaking up your thoughts into paragraphs. It'll allow more people to understand what your idea is. The only thing people can judge you by in a forum is your writing style, and one that comes off as uneducated usually gets disrespected. Yours came off as uneducated, and I think a little proofreading could change that.

# 16 Jackstar5 @ 09/14/09 12:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndhusker90
and you're a hypocrite. you sound just as racist as he did. Race is no issue here, JaMarcus Russel just plain sucks. So do the rest of the Raiders. I agree with most of what the OP said and where he ranks the teams. Oakland just doesn't have it.
the funny thing is yall say Jamarcus just plain sucks but can't give a reason how he sucks in the offseason he was constantly looking at film and every had his own practice throwing to young wide recievers thats work ethic name one game last year that he was the reason the raiders lost I mean even they games we got blowed out he still had good numbers against NE 242 yards 2 td the first game against San Diego that we should have won he had 277 yards 1 td 1 int he was sacked 6 times last year he was sacked 30 something times no qb is going look good getting sack that many times The another thing analayzers always pick out the bad plays but I reality sometimes its Russell fault but mostly the wr they dropped catchable passes or ronald curry for example can't run any more had too many surgeries you see zach miller dont drop his passes

# 17 Madden Head @ 09/14/09 02:40 PM
After the 2002 season the Riders have the worst win % in the NFL, yes, even worse than the Lions. Also, while I agree the pre-season doesn't mean a whole lot, Oakland not only lost, they were killed in the pre-season this year. There is no reason to believe in the Raiders until they give you a reason to believe in them. Even Raiders fans I know were starting to say last yer that it is hard to be fan and watch the things Al Davis and that team are doing week in and week out.

The Chargers under Norv Turner stuggle in the regular season, but are still a very good team. SD reminds me of Dalas last year one of the most talented teams in the NFL and they can't find a way to put it together. The games they do put it together, they are very hard if at all possible to beat.

In the end the AFC West is just like the NFC west, filled with bad teams that just get by. If the playoffs spots were filed by teams with the best record, the Chargers and Cardinals wouldn't even have been in the post season.

SD will win the West again. Nt because they will play well, but because the other three teams are really bad.

# 18 Instant C1a55ic @ 09/14/09 04:04 PM
Quote:

Let me guess, your opinion is based off all the experts and hours of game footage? I know Denver is not the same as it was last year, but geez the worst team in the league just because one player left is really harsh. But before you go all "i know more than you" did you even watch the Cincy game? If you did you would have noticed the D has shown signs of life by getting pressure on Palmer and causing turnovers. Again before someone says that Cincy isnt the highest model of a team to beat, remember last year we couldn't do anything against Oakland and their complete mess of a team? I saw one thing up until the 4th quarter and that was consistancy, and we didnt have that barely at all last year.

Orton is not Cutler, and Orton is not Tom Brady, but McD's system did help orton show signs of flash and thats all i care about.

# 19 rayoner @ 09/14/09 06:49 PM
John Riggins.

# 20 Mofficial @ 09/24/09 11:37 PM
Quote:

I actually agree with Superstarshad's points. Not necessarily the order though. I still think my Bolts will win the division (could be wishful thinking but w/e), but other than that, I think you have it on point.

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.