Home

new 2k fooball game?

This is a discussion on new 2k fooball game? within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-12-2006, 12:39 PM   #33
Pro

OVR: 4
Re: new 2k fooball game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Thanks for the stats but lets get real. That was when the game was 20 bucks. Do you honestly think that a game over 20 bucks with no NFL license will sell millions?
Yes, it's national 'quote aholbert day'.

Millions? No. I'd consider any generic 2K game to be a HUGE success to sell a million copies, and 500,000 or so to be good. This won't EVER be about beating Madden in sales, which even 2K5 couldn't do (total sales anyway).

EA/Madden will get their sales EVERY year, no matter the quality of the actual game, it would just be nice to have a sim alternative (sorry Blitz) to buy INSTEAD or as a change of pace to Madden.

No NFL license means 2K Sports can charge $20-30 and still turn a profit. The low price means more gamers will impulse buy, and if EA is milking them for extra uniforms, classic teams, stadiums, online play, etc. ? Backlash could mean trading Madden in for "that generic 2K game and I'll create my own stuff" for some disgruntled gamers. You can whine, or you can speak with your dollars -IF you have options.

How ironic would that be though? The trade in value of Madden 08 being equal to the cost of a generic 2K football game? LOL. EA won't really care, as long as you bought a full price copy of Madden. No complaints mean very much as long as the money keeps rolling in and people buy year-after-year. EA understands that very well, though they pay lip service to "innovation and gameplay".

End rant.

Last edited by VCdolphin; 10-12-2006 at 12:42 PM.
Old 10-12-2006, 01:00 PM   #34
#HTownTakeover #YWCF

coogrfan's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCdolphin
Yes, it's national 'quote aholbert day'.

Millions? No. I'd consider any generic 2K game to be a HUGE success to sell a million copies, and 500,000 or so to be good. This won't EVER be about beating Madden in sales, which even 2K5 couldn't do (total sales anyway).

EA/Madden will get their sales EVERY year, no matter the quality of the actual game, it would just be nice to have a sim alternative (sorry Blitz) to buy INSTEAD or as a change of pace to Madden.

No NFL license means 2K Sports can charge $20-30 and still turn a profit. The low price means more gamers will impulse buy, and if EA is milking them for extra uniforms, classic teams, stadiums, online play, etc. ? Backlash could mean trading Madden in for "that generic 2K game and I'll create my own stuff" for some disgruntled gamers. You can whine, or you can speak with your dollars -IF you have options.

How ironic would that be though? The trade in value of Madden 08 being equal to the cost of a generic 2K football game? LOL. EA won't really care, as long as you bought a full price copy of Madden. No complaints mean very much as long as the money keeps rolling in and people buy year-after-year. EA understands that very well, though they pay lip service to "innovation and gameplay".

End rant.
So let me see if I've got this. You guys want a completely customizable, fully developed and polished game aimed at a relatively small niche market of hardcore sim-heads(which means it will have limited sales potential), and you expect it to sell for half the price of Madden.

I must have missed something, when exactly did VC/TT become a non-profit operation?
Old 10-12-2006, 03:00 PM   #35
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCdolphin
I have a question for everyone here. How do you think 2K will pull off the customizing in the game? The reason I buy Winning Eleven on the PC and used to buy Live on the PC was because once the community got a hold of the game they were able to create mods that were better than the licensed material (FIFA).

The problem with this 2K generic game is that more likely than not it will be on the next gen consoles and its doesnt seem like it would be easy to create uniforms, stadiums, and logos using a controller.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-12-2006, 03:13 PM   #36
Banned

Bobolini's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejackal25
Maybe the guys at VC couldn't implement that level of customization like Konami could. I'm sure a game COULD have been made, but I just don't think VC's customization abilities were there yet...just look at how poor the CAP and CAT modes have been for both the NFL and NBA series. Lol...I wouldn't put it past EA to try to get exclusive licenses to everything. We definitely have to keep our fingers crossed this year.
Some of you guys might remember this game back in 1993. Completely ahead of it's time and had no NFL license.

"The initial entry in the Front Page Sports lineup from Dynamix/Sierra, this was an ambitious simulation of North American football that tried to combine the arcade, coaching, and simulation football game experiences into a single package.

Supported single game, season, and career modes with detailed statistics tracking, player aging and injuries, and the ability to save highlights of your best plays from any one of nine preset camera angles. Featured a play editor in which you could make your own plays or edit any of the two hundred or so stock plays included with the game.

Accommodated playstyles ranging from joystick control of individual players to simulating a game entirely in a few seconds."

Customized leagues with teams, jerseys, helmets, playbooks, and many other options. If it could be done 13 years, why not now?
Old 10-12-2006, 03:29 PM   #37
Pro

OVR: 7
Icon14 Re: new 2k fooball game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobolini
Some of you guys might remember this game back in 1993. Completely ahead of it's time and had no NFL license.

"The initial entry in the Front Page Sports lineup from Dynamix/Sierra, this was an ambitious simulation of North American football that tried to combine the arcade, coaching, and simulation football game experiences into a single package.

Supported single game, season, and career modes with detailed statistics tracking, player aging and injuries, and the ability to save highlights of your best plays from any one of nine preset camera angles. Featured a play editor in which you could make your own plays or edit any of the two hundred or so stock plays included with the game.

Accommodated playstyles ranging from joystick control of individual players to simulating a game entirely in a few seconds."

Customized leagues with teams, jerseys, helmets, playbooks, and many other options. If it could be done 13 years, why not now?
Man, I looooved sierra's fps football series. That was the height of PC football gaming.
Old 10-12-2006, 03:30 PM   #38
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobolini

That was a PC game though. I'm talking about a customizable console game. Also with the 360, we couldnt even have someone like Finn create an editor because of the MS signature process that prevents you from changing game saves outside of the 360 and load it back on to the 360.
Old 10-12-2006, 03:43 PM   #39
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
That was a PC game though. I'm talking about a customizable console game. Also with the 360, we couldnt even have someone like Finn create an editor because of the MS signature process that prevents you from changing game saves outside of the 360 and load it back on to the 360.
Not sure what fall show the announcement was made, but I think I remember Microsoft stating that the were making a Homebrew XNA version for $99 a year for PC and 360 development. With a set of standardized tools designed for the 360 ( console ) environment, maybe modding 360 games via Marketplace is closer then we think...

Grande
Old 10-12-2006, 03:50 PM   #40
Banned

Bobolini's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Shouldn't matter, a edit is a edit. The PC game was totally customizable within itself.
Have the game already with a powerful editor residing within the game itself.
Vision my friends....vision...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »