Home

Knowing that there is no franchise...

This is a discussion on Knowing that there is no franchise... within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: If 2K sports knew that there wasn't going to be a franchise mode should they have...
Not come out with a game at all 102 34.69%
Continue and do what they are doing and release the game 192 65.31%
Voters: 294. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-18-2007, 06:48 PM   #65
MVP

OVR: 18
Re: Knowing that there is no franchise...

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerlover
ok ok.. 2k flaws... MLB the first game on dreamcast.. after telling us that all these goodies will be in.. you couldnt even field the dayaam ball man!! that was a REAL FUBAR game!!

College Football 2k? on the dreamcast.. nuff said... they used the previous years engine.. all it did is show what great improvement the next years pro game was..

thats the only mistakes i know they made.. could the games been better.. yes.. and they have been.. unlike easports, 2k has been gears its games towards the hardcore gamer, and not the casual one. Casual players may out number HCG's but its us HCG's that push development to more realistic gaming..
Here are a few more:
-College Hoops 2K5 on XBOX: You could not even get to the end of one year in legacy mode as it would freeze while saving your game, causing you to have to restart your legacy.

-NHL 2K5 on XBOX: Same problem as College Hoops 2K5 with the franchise mode.

-NHL 2K6 XBOX 360: Freeze fest.

-MLB 2K6 XBOX 360: Worse Freeze Fest. And from what I hear the game was awful when it didn't freeze.

Some may be quick to point out that those are all bugs and not bad design decisions. I would tend to agree, but when there are this many instances of bugs that make a game or one of its mode unusable (and not because the user doesn't like what he sees but because the game won't actually work!) then there are some bad decisions being made regarding QA.

If you notice, a lot of the issues 2K has had in the past have had to do with franchise modes freezing. That's without mentionning their history of crazy CPU team management which I have witnessed myself on various NHL 2K titles (I once played against Eric Lindros on 4 different teams in the same season!) and NFL 2K5 (Messed up 1st round of the draft, crazy trades). There have been a lot of complaints about terrible CPU team management in MLB 2K7 as well.

So maybe franchise mode is something VC just doesn't do well and has just decided to stop wasting recources on. Who knows? Besides, I would guess that devising a franchise mode for a fictional league would be pretty hard.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-18-2007, 06:53 PM   #66
Pro

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectralfan
Here are a few more:
-College Hoops 2K5 on XBOX: You could not even get to the end of one year in legacy mode as it would freeze while saving your game, causing you to have to restart your legacy.

-NHL 2K5 on XBOX: Same problem as College Hoops 2K5 with the franchise mode.

-NHL 2K6 XBOX 360: Freeze fest.

-MLB 2K6 XBOX 360: Worse Freeze Fest. And from what I hear the game was awful when it didn't freeze.

Some may be quick to point out that those are all bugs and not bad design decisions. I would tend to agree, but when there are this many instances of bugs that make a game or one of its mode unusable (and not because the user doesn't like what he sees but because the game won't actually work!) then there are some bad decisions being made regarding QA.

If you notice, a lot of the issues 2K has had in the past have had to do with franchise modes freezing. That's without mentionning their history of crazy CPU team management which I have witnessed myself on various NHL 2K titles (I once played against Eric Lindros on 4 different teams in the same season!) and NFL 2K5 (Messed up 1st round of the draft, crazy trades). There have been a lot of complaints about terrible CPU team management in MLB 2K7 as well.

So maybe franchise mode is something VC just doesn't do well and has just decided to stop wasting recources on. Who knows? Besides, I would guess that devising a franchise mode for a fictional league would be pretty hard.
Good post. I'd rather them devote time to making the gameplay as solid as possible rather than devote time on a franchise mode that would have a decent chance of being messed up. As long as there is some sort of offline game mode beyond exhibition play I'll be happy.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:09 PM   #67
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkfount
thank you for your wonderful insight, which only shows you haven't read a single post in this thread. Almost everyone that has posted that they voted no, said that the poll was worded poorly, and they instead mean that they won't buy it.

I voted no, and I'm perfectly fine with them making a game. I won't buy it, for reasons I posted, but I hope they created a game that such enthusiastic people like yourself will enjoy.
So why did you vote? Was it really worded poorly, or did you really need to cast a vote even though neither option has your particular view? This isn't a presidential election here. Instead of tainting vote numbers, you could have just posted your opinion.

I don't care if anyone buys the game. Don't buy it. Who cares? Yes, I may be enthusiastic, but maybe because I might have the oppurtunity to play a game that really represents football. I sure hope so. Afterall, most of my gaming hours goes into actually playing the game. It's something a lot of us old timers are used to. While franchise management is nice, the game experience should always be nicer. I may differ from many of you, but IMO, I believe that I should be seeing the game more than menu screens. If I'm seeing menu screens more often, then it's probably not a great game overall.

Last edited by sleepytercel; 04-18-2007 at 07:14 PM.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:46 AM   #68
Banned

OVR: 28

Well the voting looks very promising. In that no vote I'm pretty sure we have a bunch of madden fanboys who weren't going to buy the game even if god himself handed it to them.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:10 PM   #69
Rookie

OVR: 5

sounds to me like a lot of uv guys want madden or text base football (front office football) u have to have a game of football before u get franhise mode thats a fact
Old 04-19-2007, 02:48 PM   #70
MVP

Danimal's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaStar
You seem to be confusing a perfect game with a enjoyable one. There are no perfect games, so whether the franchise is broken, the player models have a barrel look, the face masks are too low, the spy feature does not work etc...the bottomline of it all is do they put forth an effort to bring me an enjoyable product, not a perfect one. The answer to that question is yes. ea has shown the exact opposite in their way of doing things. So I support 2k because 2k puts forth an effort to insure I have a fun experience with their games.
Which is fine, I don't disagree with what you have said. But you do realize that many people enjoy EA and Madden and feel exactly the same way right?

As far as 2K putting forth a much better effort to improve their products over EA, I will agree with you 100%. Madden was garbage the last 2 years for me but I'm not going to rag on my friend because he loves it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaStar
Where you get your "to you, 2k has never done anything wrong" is utterly rediculous, I have never said that. If you are going to speak for someone, no from whence you speak.
You're right, I could have phrased that better. What I should have said is that 2K has earned your brand loyalty which is fine. But everyone doesn't feel the same way and that's pretty much the point. Some people around here just need to understand that because someone isn't 100% sold on APF. It doesn't make them a traitor, a madden fanboy or a less die hard football fan.
Old 04-19-2007, 03:20 PM   #71
Banned

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpezzano
Which is fine, I don't disagree with what you have said. But you do realize that many people enjoy EA and Madden and feel exactly the same way right?

As far as 2K putting forth a much better effort to improve their products over EA, I will agree with you 100%. Madden was garbage the last 2 years for me but I'm not going to rag on my friend because he loves it.

You're right, I could have phrased that better. What I should have said is that 2K has earned your brand loyalty which is fine. But everyone doesn't feel the same way and that's pretty much the point. Some people around here just need to understand that because someone isn't 100% sold on APF. It doesn't make them a traitor, a madden fanboy or a less die hard football fan.

I agree with you on both points. I wouldn't dare to claim I speak for anyone other than myself. It is no secret that 2k has my loyalty when it comes to sports games, it is not a blind loyalty, I like the effort they give year in and year out.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-19-2007, 03:48 PM   #72
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkfount
way to split hairs. I simply stated an observation that I made about various threads where 2k is being hailed as an innovative company by people who seemingly are just trying to find anything to defend their earlier hype and excitement. While you say there is not enough info to judge it, that hasn't stopped people from going the other way. I simply commented on the franchise mode, which is known to be absent, since the poll asked us how we felt about no franchise.

As far as this being a 1st generation game, I'm sure you're aware that Madden got blasted for their lack of features in their first next gen outing. I still don't see how one gets a pass while another doesn't. If EA was making a top secret game like this, the negativity would by much higher than you perceive it to be in here. With that said, I'm not really a madden fan. You can even look at my xbox live profile and see that I haven't even played a madden on the 360. So I know how good some of the flagship 2k games are. I don't really think any are innovative, they just do things a little differently than EA.

The whole point to this thread to me, seemed to ask our individual opinions. I feel that no franchise is enough to keep me from buying it. As much as I like College Hoops 2k7 as a game of basketball, I wouldn't keep playing it if it weren't for the dynasty mode. I knew that my opinion goes against most people here, since people have already made it perfectly clear that franchise players are in the minority, so our opinions don't matter.
I'm not splitting hairs. Explain how your comment is relevant to this thread. Better yet what threads is it relevant to?

Ever since this article came out the number of people supporting the game or still waiting for more info has been FAR outnumbered by people ranging from being disappointed by the news to raging mad at the laziness and lack of respect to the fans. Your post seems like either you've been on some other boards and caring over your feeling here, which isn't fair to us... or you're just here to defend madden vs 2k which we really don't need any more of. Either way, I think my comment was warranted.

I can start at the top of this last post. I haven't defended my early hype or excitement b/c I've been saying from the jump that this game wasn't going to include all the things people were "expecting"... my expectations weren't that big to begin with and considering I still don't have much info, I really haven't made many expectations at this point. Many others are like me and while you focus on the few that back this position you ignore the majority who are complaining about the lack of franchise, inability to recreate the NFL and/or quality of the released screen shots. Why? Do you not see all of those posts of 2k fans attacking (literally) the company they say they love? There has to be a reason for you to ignore all of this... it's all over the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejackal25
I think what wwharton meant by a APF being a first generation game is different than what Madden was as a first outing on the next gen platforms. I think what wwharton meant is that APF 2k8 is NOT a sequel to NFL 2k5 or any of the previous 2k football games. It may be the spiritual successor for VC, but it should be viewed as a totally different franchise. Since there was no APF 2k series before, it is impossible for features to be missing.

Madden on the next gen consoles was an actual sequel to the Madden games we have played for years and years, and that is why it's dissapointing when features are left out of it.

APF is its own entity, w/ its own features and modes, and should not be treated as viewed as NFL 2k8 minus the license.

I think that's what wwharton meant...
This is exactly what I meant. Thanks jackal.

I still say if the game comes out and there is nothing for the franchise lover in it, feel free to complain that you can't play it. Even then, franchise wouldn't have been "left out"... it's not a feature of the game. People didn't refer to MVP as Triple Play 05 or 06... and that came out just a year after the TP series died and on the same consoles with the same concept.

NFL2k5 died in 06. This game is on different consoles, years later, without NFL players, stadiums, anything and further removed from any ESPN license. It's a different football game. You can choose to compare it to Madden if you want but it's not meant to be. You can choose to base it off of NFL2k5 if you want but it's not meant to be. And the thing is, trying to force the square into these round holes will just make you more frustrated about it not fitting.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »