Home

Knowing that there is no franchise...

This is a discussion on Knowing that there is no franchise... within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: If 2K sports knew that there wasn't going to be a franchise mode should they have...
Not come out with a game at all 102 34.69%
Continue and do what they are doing and release the game 192 65.31%
Voters: 294. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-18-2007, 12:51 PM   #41
Banned

OVR: 30
Re: Knowing that there is no franchise...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_president
i was speaking about xbox and xbox live where it also did well....as for users of xbox live.....i think there are 6 million gold and silver members.
And I imagine most spend 90% of their time playing Madden and Halo. Just a guess though.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-18-2007, 12:53 PM   #42
All Star

bkfount's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_president
i was speaking about xbox and xbox live where it also did well....as for users of xbox live.....i think there are 6 million gold and silver members.
I thought I read somewhere that MS combined the totals from the xbox and the 360 to come up with the number of live users. Even if the 6 million members applies only for the 360, it's still lower than the consoles sold, which means millions of 360 owners aren't using them online at all.

I'd like to know how many are gold members though. The silver membership part of the total can technically mean anyone that plugged their console into the internet.

Last edited by bkfount; 04-18-2007 at 01:00 PM.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:32 PM   #43
nxt
H**sm*n

nxt's Arena

OVR: 14

I voted that they should continue and release the game as planned. I'm just interested to see what type of game 2K is gonna put out. Will it be more sim-like or arcade-like? If the football games continue in the direction that they are heading, I think my (football) gaming days will be over sooner than later. Even my beloved NCAA franchise is turning into NCAA JAM with the glowing fields of orange and red.

Back to the poll. I play most of my games in single player mode, so having a franchise mode is very important to me. I may try the game out as a rental, but I don't think that I'd buy it. This game will have to be the holy grail of football titles in terms of gameplay, graphics, etc. in order for it to have a chance of success. Of course without the NFL and NCAA licences, it's chance of success is hampered from the start, but I think the absence of a franchise mode will definitely be a major reason for it's downfall in the end.

Last edited by nxt; 04-18-2007 at 01:35 PM.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:37 PM   #44
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soldier
To be fair to us, there wasn't another option. My choice would be "no franchise/single player mode, no purchase from me". I think releasing the game is fine, I could care less, but if there's no single player mode other than exhibition, it's a demo.

Co-Sign. I didn't vote because the question is designed to create a skewed perception of those who vote no. Like so many partisan polls it is intellectually dishonest, but then again much of the debate on this topic has been likewise.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:45 PM   #45
Semi-retired

BrianFifaFan's Arena

OVR: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
Co-Sign. I didn't vote because the question is designed to create a skewed perception of those who vote no. Like so many partisan polls it is intellectually dishonest, but then again much of the debate on this topic has been likewise.
I like the $5 words....... Would you like to expound and extrapolate further on your profound epiphany? The English language is such a sublime and beautiful thing when used.....

A great product sells itself, no "back of the box" features required! (See Fifa...)

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-18-2007, 02:05 PM   #46
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkfount
I've been a 2k fan since the dreamcast, so I support 2k in releasing this game, as I thought they should have released a generic game the year after they lost the license. I voted no because the poll is worded weird. If this has no franchise mode, then I won't buy it. It's perfectly fine that they release whatever game they want. If anything, it'll motivate EA to make their sport games a notch above mediocre. What's truely funny is that EA gets blasted for their lack of features in a $60 next gen game, but when 2k announced they'll leave franchise out, they get hailed as being innovative. That's my only real issue with all this hype.

I want a franchise mode, since I strongly dislike playing sports games online, due to my experiences with the type of people that play them online. I'm sure lots of people on here play straight up, but when you jump online and get a random game, it's usually a 12 year old douchebag. I pretty much limit my online gaming to shooters and racing.
That's an interesting way of twisting what has been said, lol. So, in short, 2k announced they're leaving the franchise out (btw, it's a 1st generation game so nothing is "left out" b/c there was no game before for it to be "in"... better wording would be not creating a franchise as we know it... pretty much what the article said) and all the 2k fans called it innovative! Nothing to speak of the many fans that are saying they won't even buy the game without franchise or worse, or the many people like myself saying there isn't enough information to really discuss it... it's just innovative. Oh and forget that what has really been said is that VC's history of being innovative makes it very possible that instead of franchise there is something else that we don't have any information to even talk about yet.

But I guess in the Madden forum the haters just come in and blast... maybe they'll twist the words around like this over there too to make a point.

BTW, online games have all sorts of cheaters and cheesers and unfortunately the ea football games don't do much to guard against it. The 2k series made many improvements over the years to improve the chance of tricks and bug exploits not working. 2k5 was pretty good with this and the basketball game has improved even more over the last few years that there wasn't a football game. I've played more online games than I can count from 2k1 to 2k5 and can count on both hands how many were against cheesers. The biggest problem was that the cheesers would quit b/c the tactics didn't work.

This isn't to say this is why there doesn't need to be a franchise, but it is to say there's a good reason for them to focus more on online play. 2k1 is where the game got its following, because of online play and they tightened that over the years, finally including leagues to a level madden still never got down. For someone who is looking to play online football this game pretty much would be their only option of getting a good experience so why not pay attention to this?
Old 04-18-2007, 02:32 PM   #47
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnwood
Totally irrelevant question because there's no "if 2Ksports knew". It's their game to develop, so of course they knew what the decision was going to be regarding franchise.

The only ones that didn't know was us fans.
I was thinking the same thing.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 04-18-2007, 03:19 PM   #48
All Star

bkfount's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
That's an interesting way of twisting what has been said, lol. So, in short, 2k announced they're leaving the franchise out (btw, it's a 1st generation game so nothing is "left out" b/c there was no game before for it to be "in"... better wording would be not creating a franchise as we know it... pretty much what the article said) and all the 2k fans called it innovative! Nothing to speak of the many fans that are saying they won't even buy the game without franchise or worse, or the many people like myself saying there isn't enough information to really discuss it... it's just innovative. Oh and forget that what has really been said is that VC's history of being innovative makes it very possible that instead of franchise there is something else that we don't have any information to even talk about yet.

But I guess in the Madden forum the haters just come in and blast... maybe they'll twist the words around like this over there too to make a point.
way to split hairs. I simply stated an observation that I made about various threads where 2k is being hailed as an innovative company by people who seemingly are just trying to find anything to defend their earlier hype and excitement. While you say there is not enough info to judge it, that hasn't stopped people from going the other way. I simply commented on the franchise mode, which is known to be absent, since the poll asked us how we felt about no franchise.

As far as this being a 1st generation game, I'm sure you're aware that Madden got blasted for their lack of features in their first next gen outing. I still don't see how one gets a pass while another doesn't. If EA was making a top secret game like this, the negativity would by much higher than you perceive it to be in here. With that said, I'm not really a madden fan. You can even look at my xbox live profile and see that I haven't even played a madden on the 360. So I know how good some of the flagship 2k games are. I don't really think any are innovative, they just do things a little differently than EA.

The whole point to this thread to me, seemed to ask our individual opinions. I feel that no franchise is enough to keep me from buying it. As much as I like College Hoops 2k7 as a game of basketball, I wouldn't keep playing it if it weren't for the dynasty mode. I knew that my opinion goes against most people here, since people have already made it perfectly clear that franchise players are in the minority, so our opinions don't matter.

Last edited by bkfount; 04-18-2007 at 03:33 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »