Home

I didnt realize how good APF 2K8 was until I played Madden

This is a discussion on I didnt realize how good APF 2K8 was until I played Madden within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-15-2007, 09:23 AM   #1
Pro

biglami's Arena

OVR: 11
I didnt realize how good APF 2K8 was until I played Madden

I have been a 2K guy since NBA 2K3 and NFL 2K4 (was an EA guy since the original Madden and Lakers v. Celtics in 1991) and have not looked back, although I do sample EA's games every year and try to keep an open mind, but am inevitably let down by their unplayability. Anyway, I had heard from all these people I had played in APF 2K8 that Madden 08 had greatly improved. So I picked up Madden and here is my critique of APF vs Madden:

Graphics:

APF 2K8 in a landslide- not even close...Madden guys look like Marshmellow Men

Gameplay:

APF 2K8 in a landslide...Madden guys move like Marshmellow Men...the Mario running is slightly improved and replaced by another evil

Physics:

APF 2K8 in a landslide...the way the ball is thrown in Madden is waaaaayyyy off...but the tackling in Madden is decent, I have to give it credit for that

Passing:

@k8 makes the QB set his feet and square up to his receiver, otherwise he will be pirhouetting all over the place, as he would have to do in real life...in Madden, the QB is a magician with how he can throw the ball from any angle, and off his back foot,

I am returning Madden today and will be on APF 2K8 indefinitely
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-15-2007, 09:25 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: I didnt realize how good APF 2K8 was until I played Madden

The one area that madden does excel in is DB AI. It smashes APF.

Other than that though your right APF has it beat in all other areas hands down.

I love the signature animations, the QB throw animations, and the reach tackle system of APF. Plus you have no mario running and no Suction blocking.

Madden has terrible suction blocking, no signature animations and the gang tackling is a joke!
Old 08-15-2007, 09:31 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by illidan
The one area that madden does excel in is DB AI. It smashes APF.

Other than that though your right APF has it beat in all other areas hands down.

I love the signature animations, the QB throw animations, and the reach tackle system of APF. Plus you have no mario running and no Suction blocking.

Madden has terrible suction blocking, no signature animations and the gang tackling is a joke!
DB AI is broken on both games. In 2k, they're just dumb at times. In Madden, DBs know exactly where the ball is no matter what. They will jump 10 yards into the air and knock the ball away. This is with their back turned, head never turning to the ball and being beaten by 15 yards.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:44 AM   #4
Rookie

Im mostly refering to how they run the zone. The LBs work the zone so well it really is heads above 2k8.

There are so many things wrong with madden:

1. Zone Blitzes with the DB AI so overpowered zone blitzes will smash your team. WE played a game on all madden and both teams had over 6 sacks just ridiculous.
2. O-line blocking terrible in madden there were more then 3 plays in one game were the d was able to sack my QB before he could hand off the ball.
3. Animations are just a joke in madden I dont know what people are talking about nowhere close to APF.
4. The camera is zoomed out way too far just give us true widescreen support no reason to zoom the camera out that far.
5. Suction blocking is terrible.
6. DBs who play like superman and receivers that jump out of the stadium.

I could go on.

Last edited by illidan; 08-15-2007 at 09:49 AM.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:50 AM   #5
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

I don't agree on the graphics. I think EA won that this year.

As for the DB A.I I think both are bad but in different directions. Both have terrible Cover 3 and Cover 4 Zone logic. In both games the CB's are never looking at the ball and they never feel for the WR. In 2k the guy gets beat, in Madden the guy hogs 3 routes and only one of them he should be aware of - it's the Stevie Wonder DB A.I in 2k vs the Miss Cleo Dieon Warrick Psychic Friends DB A.I in Madden/NCAA. Take your pick.

Madden still has suction blocking. It's there. All you gotta do is play linebacker 2k has some suction bugs. Also EA has done a good job of toning down the mario running with the RB's. It's still there in some ways, but nowhere near what it was.

Don't forget suction tackling and phantom tackling

Last edited by LBzrule; 08-15-2007 at 09:58 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-15-2007, 09:56 AM   #6
Redskins Pride

OVR: 6

i knew it was good but yeah ... i was giving madden a second chance yesterday and just seeing so many flaws. one of the biggest things for me, and i know it's just a minor flaw really but it just kind of summed up how godawful the game looks, feels and plays ... was just watching the QB drop back and throw the ball. It looks absolutely horrible. anyway, i popped in APF and was just like, "ahhhhh."
Old 08-15-2007, 10:10 AM   #7
All Star

RockinDaMike's Arena

OVR: 17

I'm glad i'm not the only one that feels that way. I'm trying to give madden a chance but I keep going back APF. Madden has been getting a lot of great reviews from people here on OS and I just don't see the samething.

The only reason i'm going to keep madden is because i'm such a Cardinals fan I need to play with my guys and its terrible I have to put myself through bad gameplay to enjoy a franchise.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:17 AM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinDaMike
The only reason i'm going to keep madden is because i'm such a Cardinals fan I need to play with my guys and its terrible I have to put myself through bad gameplay to enjoy a franchise.

Without the signature animations I dont really get the sense that I'm playing with my favorite players.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »