Home

Blitzing is impossible

This is a discussion on Blitzing is impossible within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-20-2007, 01:05 PM   #25
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40
Re: Blitzing is impossible

Come on guys if it is one thing that is not well done in this game it's blitzing. If you watch any NFL or college broadcast and watch a team blitz you do not see any resemblance here.

1) Guys take off to slow - has already been said.
2) Guys Random Gap - you don't see that in real life at all. If coach says hit A, then that's the damn gap you hit or we'll find somebody else who will hit it.
3) When it is 6 or 7 on 5 the QB should not even have a prayer, yet he has 3 to 5 seconds and if you know anything about the quick streak it is there for the taken regardless of who your CB is.

Have you ever seen anything like this

This is a perfect example of an overload blitz that the offense could not account for. Look at all the movement here and Scott comes right off the edge and kills the QB. Sorry Steeler brethren. You will not see this in 2k. The game seems more geared for a Cover 2 style defensive scheme where you use and let linemen dominate and sit back in 2 deep coverage. They need a blitzing system that accounts for all styles of defense. Watch how Fast SS Dawan Landry hits the middle. He doesn't get in but he is flying like a missle on the snap. The Center had to account for him that's why the line did not slide and Scott comes right off the edge untouched. Come on man I need this type of play.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-20-2007, 01:06 PM   #26
Or should I

catcatch22's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmay
2k5 was way too easy to blitz. You just set up your D-Line to one side, and had the blitzer either run through the hole, unblocked, or attack from the short side, so that the O-Lineman picked up the D-Lineman instead, and your guy got right through.

You actually had to create rules for yourself to not be cheap on the blitz, like not moving the line, no speed burst, etc.
I was in a league and the rule was no speed burst after season one, I guess someone complained about my corner blitzes. Even without speedbursts the corners are so fast you can get to the qb in no time. Its even more fun when you fake it and force the guy into a pick, MUhahaha.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:06 PM   #27
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruza
And I have another complaint. Now that they've done this feature well for running backs, VC needs to implement a shimmy animation for linebackers and safeties whenever they're slithering through a slim gap while on a blitz. I've been craving for this feature for a while now and apparently this still hasn't been addressed in APF 2K8. It only makes complete sense to have this because not all gaps are the ideal size for defenders to go right through. At times these gap blitzers will need to turn their bodies sideways in order to "get skinny" to make it through.

Kruza

Been wanting it since 2k4
Old 08-20-2007, 01:15 PM   #28
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

When it comes to breaking down defenses in these games I'll defer to Kruza and LBz every time, even if I haven't seen what's being talked about. But it sounds like some of you guys want a video game trick so that you can get in the backfield consistently and I'm happy that doesn't happen. You have to mix it up.

It might help if you say you're talking about against the cpu or against a human. A cpu controlled legend QB probably picks up a blitz and open man b/c of it better than they should. I also wonder how much people are using the LB shifts (seems certain ones make the line shift also). It's like the DB AI "problem" that's mentioned for this game and 2k5. Using the options available make the "problem" go away. If you don't use them, it doesn't seem natural how you were beaten which is the real problem imo. I can't speak much on blitzing b/c it's seem realistic to me but I haven't paid alot of attention to it. But just in general, I wish people would try all the options available before deciding something doesn't work (and if you have, post all that info so it's easier to see exactly what you're talking about).

I've heard about the super defenders in the EA games and people "nano blitzing" like crazy. From what I can tell, creating a system like this is the only solution to what some of you want. I'd rather have to learn what's in the game to have a balance than make it easy for people to just attack and not have to worry about actually playing defense. As I said I'm sure Kruza and LBz have nailed the issue, but if we assume it has to be programmed one way or the other, I'd say this is the lesser of the two evils.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:21 PM   #29
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

LBz, I actually feel like the speed of the entire game is a tad slower which may actually be the problem. I think it's on purpose... it makes it easier to see the holes and make a decision on moves when running and playing defense. It's easier to adjust your mind to it on offense but it's hard to wrap your brain around it with things like blitzes and some passes. In both cases, you're always thinking "hurry the f* up!" but it's consistent across the board.

If you use a lot of the plays from the Ravens playbook of 2k5 (specifically things in bear and 3-4) I've seen lbs get in clean but it just feels a bit slower b/c of the overall game speed. It still feels find against a human b/c like I said, the overall speed of the game is a little slower. I think the problem against the cpu isn't necessarily the speed but that a lot of cpu QBs find the open target way too easily. This has been a problem for a while now. I remember adjusting all the QBs in 2k4 to lower their awareness and that helped big time (as well as getting them to take more shots downfield b/c they held onto the ball longer).

Like I said, I haven't been looking for this so I could be way off, but just something to think about.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:23 PM   #30
Or should I

catcatch22's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaselineBakes
Strong or weak indian are killer when you find the hole and time the blitz so that your running full speed towards the line when the qb hikes the ball..i always play as the safety so its alot of fun when you get through the line..either blow up the FB to stop the play or even reach tackle to get the hb and its even better when your one on one with the qb..it just sucks when you get shaken off lol
I hate when guys like Moon just shake you off after you crush him with a blitz. Its way to prevelant that I just don't like blitzing since the AI QB just takes your blind side hit as nothing touched him at all.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:31 PM   #31
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
When it comes to breaking down defenses in these games I'll defer to Kruza and LBz every time, even if I haven't seen what's being talked about. But it sounds like some of you guys want a video game trick so that you can get in the backfield consistently and I'm happy that doesn't happen. You have to mix it up.

It might help if you say you're talking about against the cpu or against a human. A cpu controlled legend QB probably picks up a blitz and open man b/c of it better than they should. I also wonder how much people are using the LB shifts (seems certain ones make the line shift also). It's like the DB AI "problem" that's mentioned for this game and 2k5. Using the options available make the "problem" go away. If you don't use them, it doesn't seem natural how you were beaten which is the real problem imo. I can't speak much on blitzing b/c it's seem realistic to me but I haven't paid alot of attention to it. But just in general, I wish people would try all the options available before deciding something doesn't work (and if you have, post all that info so it's easier to see exactly what you're talking about).

I've heard about the super defenders in the EA games and people "nano blitzing" like crazy. From what I can tell, creating a system like this is the only solution to what some of you want. I'd rather have to learn what's in the game to have a balance than make it easy for people to just attack and not have to worry about actually playing defense. As I said I'm sure Kruza and LBz have nailed the issue, but if we assume it has to be programmed one way or the other, I'd say this is the lesser of the two evils.
Referring to 2 player games.

Well nanos are not possible in this game because of the line protections. When EA added line protections that's when their nano's went downhill. Then they went and added random gaping which made it worse and the game just became an offense fest - people passing for 700 yds a game and stupid BS like that. And what people did to slow offenses down is turn to 11 man coverage. You can't do that here or you will get ran all over. Yet at the same time man if I have 6 on 5 or 7 on five or 6 and someone is looking to go deep he should be dead meat. But in 2k8 that's not the case. You can send 7 on 5 and I still have 3 to 5 seconds. And if I have a gold WR I can do downfield, the quick streak is there for the taking every single time. All you have to do is fire the streak, switch to the WR and undercut the route and you will catch it in front of the DB every single time because he has his back turned.

I really think they need to work on a blitzing system. Every D I face has that Tampa 2 feel to it. Stellar Dline, good Safeties. People control Dline. Why is this? My hunch is it is like this because this is what really works. It's the same thing in Madden. You will find people gravitate towards what works. And I hate that because then everything starts feeling the same.

I don't see many people do this, but if I see one on one (man or zone) in 2k, I'm going quick streak and because it is a manual catch and the DB is already out of position and has his back turned, I like my chances. Even if it is cover 2 zone you can still get that quick streak if you throw it right. As soon as the WR gets pass the CB fire it in between him and the Safety and just undercut the route with a manual catch. It's there for the taking every damn time. That's why I like playing people who play Dline. You can get in all you want. I just get in the gun and quick streak your a$$ to death. If you keep playing Dline, I keep quick streaking LOL. With no blitzing system you lose the element of disguise. The game needs to open up more defensively IMO. And when I see an offensive guard out hussling my defenders downfield you know I am pissed off at that kind of "piss poor effort" (to use my old coaches language).

Last edited by LBzrule; 08-20-2007 at 01:58 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-20-2007, 01:33 PM   #32
Or should I

catcatch22's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
LBz, I actually feel like the speed of the entire game is a tad slower which may actually be the problem. I think it's on purpose... it makes it easier to see the holes and make a decision on moves when running and playing defense. It's easier to adjust your mind to it on offense but it's hard to wrap your brain around it with things like blitzes and some passes. In both cases, you're always thinking "hurry the f* up!" but it's consistent across the board.

If you use a lot of the plays from the Ravens playbook of 2k5 (specifically things in bear and 3-4) I've seen lbs get in clean but it just feels a bit slower b/c of the overall game speed. It still feels find against a human b/c like I said, the overall speed of the game is a little slower. I think the problem against the cpu isn't necessarily the speed but that a lot of cpu QBs find the open target way too easily. This has been a problem for a while now. I remember adjusting all the QBs in 2k4 to lower their awareness and that helped big time (as well as getting them to take more shots downfield b/c they held onto the ball longer).

Like I said, I haven't been looking for this so I could be way off, but just something to think about.

The major problem is that the blitzers are not smart at getting toward the QB. They take bad angles and worst of all, they will at times just stand and watch the QB when they could just hit the guy. Seen this happen alot in 2k5 and in 2k8. The only way to blitz effectively is to do it yourself, especially with someone fast and around the tackles. Unfortunately alot of people like LBrule don;t want to manually control the rush but to sit back and reap the benefits of the rush.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »