Home

Would you be interested in 2K football returning with no NFL license?

This is a discussion on Would you be interested in 2K football returning with no NFL license? within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-11-2019, 03:08 PM   #1
LORDTHUNDERBIRD

Pappy Knuckles's Arena

OVR: 46
Would you be interested in 2K football returning with no NFL license?

Nothing has changed in the NFL licensing landscape since APF 2K8 released in 2007 (just typing that makes me sad). When we now consider the fact it came out over 10 years ago, and that there has never been any indication that the NFL wants to end things with EA, there's really not much of a reason to continue hoping for the return of an NFL 2K game. I give up.

In APF 2K8, 2K chose to deal with the lack of an NFL license by signing a bunch of retired players. It ended up being a formula that worked very well, but was playing with legends the main draw for most of us that loved this game? It certainly wasn't for me.

I loved APF 2k8 because of what was happening on the field, and I know that I'm not alone. Madden has slowly continued to get better over the years, but at this point, it should be much further beyond last generation football games than it is now.

I'm curious how much interest there would be in APF returning with an entirely fictional roster, or something similar to what they did with the last game? 2K is so much bigger than it was back then. Putting resources into a game like this wouldn't put much of a dent in their pockets, and it would great to see them back in the football world. It's long overdue at this point.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-11-2019, 05:01 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: Would you be interested in 2K football returning with no NFL license?

As much as I enjoyed APF 2K8, I would have to say no. I would rather see them support titles like BMX Street Pipes and Sessions and inject some resources to push those games to the next level with an xgames license (amongst others) for example.
...we held several meetings to discuss the future of the franchise. After going through those meetings, it became very clear that the vision I had for the game was different from where the leadership wanted to take it. I parted ways with EA shortly after...
Old 05-11-2019, 09:32 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy Knuckles
Nothing has changed in the NFL licensing landscape since APF 2K8 released in 2007 (just typing that makes me sad). When we now consider the fact it came out over 10 years ago, and that there has never been any indication that the NFL wants to end things with EA, there's really not much of a reason to continue hoping for the return of an NFL 2K game. I give up.

In APF 2K8, 2K chose to deal with the lack of an NFL license by signing a bunch of retired players. It ended up being a formula that worked very well, but was playing with legends the main draw for most of us that loved this game? It certainly wasn't for me.

I loved APF 2k8 because of what was happening on the field, and I know that I'm not alone. Madden has slowly continued to get better over the years, but at this point, it should be much further beyond last generation football games than it is now.

I'm curious how much interest there would be in APF returning with an entirely fictional roster, or something similar to what they did with the last game? 2K is so much bigger than it was back then. Putting resources into a game like this wouldn't put much of a dent in their pockets, and it would great to see them back in the football world. It's long overdue at this point.
I think APF stopped because it didn't sell well and thats with NFL legends. I think was about 100K in first couple weeks and died off. I don't think a unlicensed fictional sports game would sell well at all.

I believe 2k wants to jump back in the football market. But I feel they want to have an licensed game. I don't think they want to make a game just to make one. If thats the case they would have already just like EA could have made an unlicensed college game.

But I would definitely be interested in a fictional 2k game. The issue with APF was the lack of depth. 2k8 had its flaws. But from a gameplay perspective, it is still way ahead of Madden. I can still have fun playing 2k8 to this day and debating on starting a season. Definitely using the hex editor makes it more fun. I actually think making a full fictional roster would be better. There wouldn't be any creative restrictions. They don't have to worry about hurting anyone's feelings. They would make need to make the game fully customizable. They would need a lot of depth. Multi season mode and ways to build your team. If they can build upon the game play, add multiseason mode with team building, customization, and a lot of depth, then I would support it
Old 05-12-2019, 01:54 AM   #4
LORDTHUNDERBIRD

Pappy Knuckles's Arena

I'm with you 100% on your suggestions for a fictional game.
Old 05-12-2019, 04:23 AM   #5
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

What Madden is doing now with Superstar abilities, APF already did and did a great job with. The abilities in APF felt balanced and not over powered like Supersrar X-Factors seems like it might be. I was able to have fun with pocket passers more than scramblers. Having Rocket Arm, Laser Arm, and Quick Release, you can sit back and throw darts. You're able to fit passes in that other QBs aren't able too and look realistic. Or creating a dominant penetrating DT. You can disrupt a lot of plays. But at the same time, it didn't feel overpowered. It wasn't guaranteed to always work. The counterparts felt balanced. A bump master versus bump buster felt like one wasn't stronger than the other. When matched up, it wasn't a guaranteed win or lose.

The thing is that the possible game couldn't make the same mistake as APF. Outside of gameplay, there was no depth. Using legends were limiting to a fault. You can't make a multiseason mode with legends. I didn't really care for them hiding attributes and limiting user teams. Even with hex editor, you had to know work around. I get how to kick now, but I struggled at first how to kick in APF. They should have kept the 2k5 kicking mechanic as an option.

The main thing would not to openly compete against Madden. Madden is too much of a juggernaut because of the brand. I actually think they shouldn't follow the NFL model. I didn't buy APF a few times because of NFL legends. I bought it because of 2k and gameplay. If the game is going to fictional, then it should embrace the fictional aspect. Think about a game like Saints Row. The first game or two, they tried to follow the GTA model and couldn't compete. But then went in the own direction with SR3 and SR4. That what a fictional 2k should do. Where it should still have core aspects of football and have a multiseason mode with Practice, Scouting, Free Agenct, and draft. But the goal shouldn't be to be NFL-lite, it should be to follow their own path. Because most would think if I want to play NFL I would play Madden. They would need to find a way to separate themselves from Madden besides just former players.

It would a lot cheaper to develop a fictional game. They wouldn't have to pay for license or likenesses. 2k signed 7 year 1.1 billion for license for NBA. I don't see NBA getting a discount. They don't sell well enough to take that on. They wouldn't need to follow the Microtransctions model to turn a profit. The thing with the NFL exclusive license is that they have been very quiet about it. I think they renewed it in 2016. So probably will get renewed in 2021. But the thing is that Rex Dickson had a interview and said around the time with the "Come at us bro" comment that their was a rumor that NFL had met with 2k about possibility of comeback. I don't know the truth on that. Madden is almost too big to fail. Even if it has a down year and has bad reviews, it still sell relatively well. But what started speculation was the whole MyCareer trailer this past year. Where it was one thing to add a football to the neighborhood and be able to throw it, but to intentionally show the football being thrown at the end of the neighborhood trailer didn't feel so coincidental. It could be, but I felt they could have added a frisbee instead. I know NFL prefers exclusive licenses so they have more control of what is promoted. I know 2k wants to jump back in the market. But if I to choose what was more likely to happen sooner between 2k making a football game or NBA Live stopping again, I would choose NBA Live. I think it more likely that Live doesn't make the initial jump to next generation. Especially it comes out pretty much discounted and is about $15 around the holidays. I think 2k wants the NFL license. Madden isn't losing sales substantially enough to go anywhere and I don't see NFL straying away from the one brand per product model they follow

Last edited by illwill10; 05-12-2019 at 05:19 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-12-2019, 09:26 AM   #6
MVP

Junior Moe's Arena

OVR: 0

I would be onboard for another All Pro 2K; conceptually, and gameplay wise that game was awesome. I would not get a game with a fictional league and fictional players.

If 2K really wanted to get back into football I think that the NCAA is best route. The players would have to be generic and fictional, but that doesn't mean that hey can be realistic. Bama can still be a dominant defensive powerhouse. They could even sign the coaches to lend more authenticity like they did in College Hoops 2k7.

For the money maker, they could copy NBA 2Ks MyCareer. You create your player at whatever position. You're the new big man on campus. Every position (even offensive linemen) has archetypes. You grind your player up through the story or pay (naturally). Online would be like NBA 2K as well. You and 4 other my players play on a squad. The rest of the CPU controlled players would be based on what type of team you want like how All Pro did it. Online you could use the licensed NCAA teams uniforms (I'm talking every uni in a schools history, charge for them...) or use 2K's robust creation suite. 2K would have to have a filter for actual NFL logos as many people will just try to recreate NFL2K and you know EA and the NFL will be on it. I have seen what the community has come up with in NBA 2K and the original designs are amazing. That's just a rough sketch, but I think something like that could make some money.
Old 05-12-2019, 11:13 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 0

All I would need is an updated 2k8 engine and refinements on it. I think gameplay wise APF 2k8 was a masterpiece so I definitely would be on board with what ever they would produce. I would like a total customization vs a fictional league and pair that will NBA 2k myleague franchise mode and I’m sold.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 05-12-2019, 12:12 PM   #8
LORDTHUNDERBIRD

Pappy Knuckles's Arena

I've competed in several Madden leagues. If you play for enough seasons, there always ends up being a point where you have a bunch of fictional characters through the draft. So for me, I'm cool with whatever when it comes to what the roster looks like. Obviously, having actual players in there is always a plus, but if the fictional world is fleshed out enough, it really doesn't matter to me. APF 2K8 gods like Terry Supernaw were greater than 99% of real NFL players anyway.

I think Junior hit the nail on the head as far as customization and 2K's ability to monetize it goes, though. There are limitless ways to make an APF 2K return a successful one, but it's hard to know how much 2K feels that it would be worth it.

They're making a killing on the 2K series. I know that I've probably spent around $250-$300 this season between the game itself and VC. Getting a new series to become a moneymaker like that isn't an easy task. I'd love to have a bug in the room during some of the conversations they've had about it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »