Home

Backbreaker Video: Developer Diary #1

This is a discussion on Backbreaker Video: Developer Diary #1 within the Backbreaker forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-05-2010, 08:07 PM   #49
Banned

OVR: 8
Re: Backbreaker Developer Diary Video #1 (Gamespot)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcheezhead
Yeah that camera view is awesome. One of the most exciting parts of this game for me so far.

I gotta say, I'm a little concerned about what I'm seeing out of the ai, but I didn't have a high expectation in that area from a football game in it's first run anyways. Not only that, but I'm not Peyton Manning, if I'm playing qb with that camera, I'm gonna need guys that open to find them, lol.
That's why the camera like that.No more I can see the whole field before the snap and during the play.Rember in madden and 2k it's to easy to pass when you see the whole field.(I drop back 20yards and still see down field.)The camera should make passing in BB a little harder.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:11 PM   #50
MVP

OVR: 20

Sure there was some issues in that video but we have to remember this is their first attempt at a football game and we have no idea what difficulty level the game was being played on which could have accounted for some of the things that didn't look too good. The animations did seem a little stiff as well. I also wish the players weren't so identical looking but we haven't seen the editing tools the game has yet so maybe there is way to make the players at least somewhat unique looking.

Both the camera angles and the interactions between the players looked phenomenal. Tackling and interaction between the lines in particular looked amazing. Looks at the very least this engine would work wonders in the areas of o-line vs d-line interaction and tackling if it was implemented right in any other game as well. The double team blocking being in there is very impressive as well. I also like the idea of pulling off spin and juke moves using the analog stick.

Overall I was impressed by that video and even though I know the game will probably have some issues I am still buying it for the amazing things the engine looks like it can do in certain areas.

College: Michigan Wolverines
NHL: Detroit Red Wings
NBA:Detroit Pistons
MLB: Detroit Tigers
Old 02-05-2010, 08:25 PM   #51
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcheezhead
Yeah that camera view is awesome. One of the most exciting parts of this game for me so far.

I gotta say, I'm a little concerned about what I'm seeing out of the ai, but I didn't have a high expectation in that area from a football game in it's first run anyways. Not only that, but I'm not Peyton Manning, if I'm playing qb with that camera, I'm gonna need guys that open to find them, lol.
I wouldn't expect a whole lot out of the AI in a first release, especially since they had a limited team from what I have read.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-05-2010, 08:44 PM   #52
Banned

OVR: 3

You cant help but to be impressed with the job they did with this game with only what 8 people making the game I think they said. How many work on Madden,50 and they still can get it right. I just pray the customisation is as deep as they say it is. When someone says they'll give us Forza customisation,then they have to let us edit players names,appearances,team names,pretty much everything we need to recreate the NFL or NCAA if we wanted.

That was the one thing that really disappointed me with All Pro 2k8 was the lack of customisation cuz they said they didnt want to upset the NFL,well it didnt matter cuz they extended the license anyway. I think they should of went all out anyways. They put celebrations with guys taking a dump,mooning you,giving the ball CPR and countless other priceless celebrations..lol, That alone probably made the NFL mad. Oh well,hopefully we get another 2k some time and another BB cuz I'm tired of Madden just trying to sell us the game instead of making real football.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:54 PM   #53
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKasmar
Do blown assignments happen in football? Maybe the secondary didn't look good because they're poorly rated. Are people purposely ignoring the good play were the secondary responded at 28 sec.
I know the angle and positioning say otherwise, but the number (17) indicates that the guy who caught the ball was a wide receiver.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:16 PM   #54
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoblue678
Sure there was some issues in that video but we have to remember this is their first attempt at a football game and we have no idea what difficulty level the game was being played on which could have accounted for some of the things that didn't look too good. The animations did seem a little stiff as well. I also wish the players weren't so identical looking but we haven't seen the editing tools the game has yet so maybe there is way to make the players at least somewhat unique looking.

Both the camera angles and the interactions between the players looked phenomenal. Tackling and interaction between the lines in particular looked amazing. Looks at the very least this engine would work wonders in the areas of o-line vs d-line interaction and tackling if it was implemented right in any other game as well. The double team blocking being in there is very impressive as well. I also like the idea of pulling off spin and juke moves using the analog stick.

Overall I was impressed by that video and even though I know the game will probably have some issues I am still buying it for the amazing things the engine looks like it can do in certain areas.
The possibilities of O-Line/D-Line interaction have me excited about the game. Still strange to hear English guys talking American football, because you know they were force-fed soccer when they started kicking inside the womb.
Like to see more on pass defense-remember this is only Backbreaker Developer Diary #1
Old 02-05-2010, 09:26 PM   #55
1B, OF

Perfect Zero's Arena

OVR: 29

I must say that I am a bit more impressed with this video. There are some things that need ironed out, especially with the defense and the missed assignments. Most of the corners looked like they had no clue what their role was on the football field.

I am liking the OL/DL interaction; hopefully it will transfer well into the game. The quarterback's throws look a bit off for some reason, and the catches aren't as fluid as they could be, but that might just be some bugs in the first go around. I still doubt that the franchise has any real future, but they are doing their best to sell the engine.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-05-2010, 09:54 PM   #56
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by t11
This AI is hopefully going to fixed. It really sucks to see the BB Ai resemble the Saints Secondary
Yeah, third in the NFL in interceptions and going to the Super Bowl-what a dismal secondary.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker »