Home

Question for the BB board, Thank you in advance.

This is a discussion on Question for the BB board, Thank you in advance. within the Backbreaker forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 02:28 PM   #9
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

OVR: 63
Re: Question for the BB board, Thank you in advance.

I honestly don't see how any football fan could not play this game and be happy with it. It plays like real football. Sure there are some flaws and things it is missing such as hot routes. But I rather the approach they took, everything is balanced and plays a great game. So small Ai issues on the CPU part but for a HUM vs HUM game, man it is amazing.

I honestly rate the game a 8 or 9 based on what it managed to do on a first IP release
Old 06-04-2010, 02:33 PM   #10
Pro

bowld's Arena

OVR: 9

i personally love the game. I almost think its more fun using fictional teams and leagues than trying to mimic the nfl.

You cant change player ratings so its going to be impossible for all teams to look and play like real nfl teams.
Old 06-04-2010, 02:38 PM   #11
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

OVR: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowld
i personally love the game. I almost think its more fun using fictional teams and leagues than trying to mimic the nfl.

You cant change player ratings so its going to be impossible for all teams to look and play like real nfl teams.
Yea me to. It is honestly MY game of the year so far. This is how I rate my purchases this year so far.

1) Backbreaker
2) Red Dead
200000th) UFC 10
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-04-2010, 02:38 PM   #12
MVP

elgreazy1's Arena

OVR: 28

Is it worth a rental: Yes
Is it worth $50: No
Is it worth $30 (on QVC.com): Yes
If you want the best bang for your buck: No
If you like deep franchise options: No
Do you want to tinker every bit of your personnel: No
Do you want to create some awesome logos: Yes
Do you like being challenged by the CPU AI: No
If you like online play: YES!

That's a pretty good rundown of most questions people have. I got it first chance I could and have had a lot of fun. Can't wait to join some leagues or tourneys soon.
Old 06-04-2010, 03:08 PM   #13
Banned

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia
Yea me to. It is honestly MY game of the year so far. This is how I rate my purchases this year so far.

1) Backbreaker
2) Red Dead
200000th) UFC 10
wow, I going to pick this game up. I am reading too many people are having a blast with this game.
Old 06-04-2010, 03:10 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 5

Well, thank you for all the responses, very helpful. I checked QVC.com and saw that it was $29.96 for xbox 360, which I do own, but has been collecting dust for awhile. The game is still $49.99 on the QVC website for ps3, which is the system I play and would get this game for, maybe they changed it back to 49 or their website is incorrect at the moment? Was it ever $29.95 for PS3 as well, or just 360?

I remember when I picked up 2k's first attempt at a boxing game, Don King's prizefighter. I tried to force myself to love it, but the reality was, it was a just an awful game and got rightfully deserved horrible reviews. Hopefully if I pick this up, I'm not forcing myself to love it. I am hopeful that it's a great game and that I do love it. But a few of the things you guys mentioned have left me on the fence. I don't play online very often with sports games, mainly because if you play Madden or NBA2k online, it's just a bunch of cheesers using the same rocket catch-pass play over and over after dropping back 25 yards and running around 35 seconds for someone to get open. However if this game is real enough to prevent cheesing and promotes realistic playcalling and realistic strategy and play in whole, then I would definitely play it online.

The disappointing things are being unable to edit the players attributes, obviously this kinda ruins the point of putting NFL teams in the game, unless you're able to take the team with the highest rated QB, and change them into the Indianapolis Colts or something. The other thing is Madden offline is so easy that it's why I traded the game in, I tried every slider set under the sun and tinkered with them for months trying to make the game challenging. Going 16-0 every season was not fun and it completely killed the game.

when you guys say that the CPU isn't challenging enough, are we talking something that can be adjusted or is there just like, one difficulty level? Aside from that, I'm assuming there aren't sliders in the game, correct? Please keep the replies coming because this is a huge help to me.

I will most likely get the game based on the passion I see from this thread, but I have to figure out if offline is going to be enough for me, unless I get REALLY addicted to playing online, which I suppose is possible. We'll see what happens, really wish the demo was out on ps3. Thanks guys, much appreciated.
Old 06-04-2010, 03:12 PM   #15
Banned

OVR: 6

If you are looking for Madden with physics, you will be sorely disappointed. I think a lot of the people who don't like the game are in that boat. You have to clear your mind of your past football game experiences and just look at BB for what it is, not what it isn't.

The physics and animations are amazing, things play out like you would expect them to in a real game most of the time. But, as has been mentioned the AI and some of the features are pretty sub-par. If you can get passed some of the flaws, it's a hell of a lot of fun to play.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-04-2010, 03:29 PM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 5

As far as the Madden thing goes, I really hate that game, honestly. I don't "hate" any other game besides that one. It's like an ex girlfriend that keeps calling you whenever she breaks up with her current boyfriend, and you keep falling for her and thinking she's changed her ways, only to have her bolt on you the minute she sees an opportunity for a new guy. That sums up Madden perfectly, to me at least. I keep shelling out $60 like an idiot when I read reviews and have been following their producer blogs, only to buy the game, love it for 3 days, then have all the flaws come shining through at once, not to mention the incessant and eternal slider battle.

So no, all I care about that Madden has that this game doesn't is real NFL teams, and that's not backbreakers fault, EA has a monopoly on it. I could love this game and look past it's flaws, as I've done this in the past and enjoyed many a game that people thought were just terrible. But the biggest thing for me is to be able use the real NFL teams in this game. Frankly I hope nothing from Madden transferred over to this game, they'd be much better for it. I'm all about something new, different, and exciting. No God mode camera? no problem. Can't see the whole field and all your receivers at the same time? Neither can real quarterbacks. Can't make a tackle on every play because you're not the first one there 95% of the time like in Madden? Guess what, that's realistic. So to me, all this is a welcome change. It's just getting the real teams in there because playing with made up teams...I just can't do it for long.

So if I can get this game, and subsequently find a way to put the NFL teams in there. I mean even if their ratings aren't the same or whatever. Having just their names and logos and all that in the game is enough to tide me over and allow me to love this game.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker »