Home

The Gold Standard: The Ronnie Gold Story

This is a discussion on The Gold Standard: The Ronnie Gold Story within the Basketball Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Basketball Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-18-2013, 05:09 PM   #49
Pro

OVR: 2
Re: The Gold Standard: The Ronnie Gold Story

I agree this is freaking AMAZING! I don't like it...I LOVE IT!
Old 02-18-2013, 06:13 PM   #50
Designated Red Shirt

trekfan's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicebeliever42
I agree this is freaking AMAZING! I don't like it...I LOVE IT!
Major thanks, man. I'm glad to see that the story is being well received. More to come tomorrow. Stay tuned and thanks for the continuing support
Old 02-19-2013, 11:48 AM   #51
Designated Red Shirt

trekfan's Arena

2013 NBA Playoffs: Round One Preview

By Aaron Vickers |ESPN.com

April 18, 2013

The NBA playoffs are just around the corner and the seeds are set. The season has been fluid and old stalwarts of the playoffs -- the Celtics and the Lakers – are sitting at home. As their thoughts are clouded with the coming offseason and what it could mean for their teams, those teams in the playoffs are looking forward to one thing: the Finals.

Who gets there?

Who goes home?

Let’s take a look:

West

1 Memphis vs. 8 Utah

The Grizzlies have powered their way to the best record in the West thanks to the huge second half play from Z-Bo and Marc Gasol. The Rudy Gay trade has paid dividends and the cries of foul after it have faded away. The Grizzlies have home court advantage throughout the Western Conference playoffs and the Fedex Forum is one of the toughest courts to play on during the playoffs.

For the Jazz, they just barely snuck into the postseason behind an impressive late push from recently extended Al Jefferson. Jefferson played well during the last stretch of the regular season, helping the Jazz stay in the playoff race as the Rockets and the Lakers bit at their heels.

This is going to be a series that is won by the better front line and right now the Grizzlies have the best front line in the league.

Pick: Grizzles in six.

2 San Antonio vs. 7 Portland

The Spurs lost out on the best record in the West by two games but don’t worry about the veteran team, as for the first time in years none of the big three are injured. Parker, Duncan, and Ginolbli are all healthy and the Spurs deep bench remain intact.

For the Blazers, this is a huge victory. Rookie sensation Damian Lillard has gotten the team to the playoffs in his first year at the helm with a 44-38 record and Lamarcus Aldridge is playing some of the best ball of his pro career. The Blazers are a scrappy, tough team, one that has taken the defensive mantra of Coach Terry Stotts and applied it to every facet of the game.

But this isn’t the first time the Spurs have fought against a young, scrappy team. The results will be the same as they always are.

Pick: Spurs in five.

3 Denver vs. 6 Golden State

The Nuggets resisted the urge to make a big trade at the deadline and instead opted to hold onto to their deep team. That decision paid off and got the Nuggets the third seed in the Western Conference. Ty Lawson has had the best season of his career and A.I. has blended well into the unique dynamics of George Karl’s team, responding with his best season in three years. The run and gun team has always had regular season success but the postseason has been a different story.

The Warriors stand waiting for them and the team is riding a wave of good feelings. For the first time since the “We Believe” Warriors squad of 2007 the team from Oakland has made the playoffs. The brilliant play of Steph Curry and Andrew Bogut has elevated the Warriors into a legitimate playoff threat, if they get the right match up.

Denver has historically had problems in the playoffs and the trend looks to continue against a hot Warriors team.

Pick: Warriors in seven.

4 Clippers vs. 5 OKC

Chris Paul has said he will re-sign with the Clippers in the offseason, sending waves of relief through Clipper nation and giving the Clippers a boost. Now that the Paul question has been answered, the Clippers can concentrate on beating the defending Western Conference champions.

OKC has had a rough second half. Major injuries to Russell Westbrook and Kevin Durant have derailed the team, who kept their head above water and drew a favorable matchup in the playoffs. Durant is still out with a strained abdomen and is expected to be back later in the series … the question is whether Westbrook, now the team’s only offensive threat, can win a game without his running mate?

Injuries have broken better teams in the playoffs.

Pick: Clippers in six.

East

1 Miami vs. 8 Atlanta

The Heat cruised to the best regular season record in the NBA and have done so behind the incredible play of Lebron James, league MVP for the fourth time in his career, and the resurgent play of Dwayne Wade and Chris Bosh, both having incredibly efficient seasons. The deep bench of the Heat has been hot of late and looks to continue to scorch opposing second units.

The Hawks clawed their way into the playoffs and have done so with grit and team play, something that has been in great supply after the trade of Josh Smith before the deadline. New Hawks Chandler Parsons and Patrick Patterson have been valuable starters and the team, though young, is looking better without Smith’s antics than with them.

But this is the Heat we’re talking about.

Pick: Heat in four.

2 Chicago vs. 7 Milwaukee

The Bulls got back Derrick Rose towards the end of the season and won seven straight with him back in the lineup vaulting them into the number two seed in the East. Rose is playing his way back into shape but already looks good and should look better as the playoffs go on. Carlos Boozer has continued to play well since the All-Star break but rumblings out of the Bulls organization indicate they’ll be looking to move him in the offseason.

Milwaukee made it into the playoffs with a 41-41 record, barely getting in, but they made it. The Bucks don’t have the defensive prowess to match the Bulls, but offensively have been getting it done. Jennings continues to play well but Ellis has struggled this season, shooting barely 42 percent from the field. He hasn’t been efficient but the threat of him getting hot has been enough to scare opponents into paying attention to him and letting Jennings have the best season his career.

But the Bulls have played the Bucks plenty during the regular season and won every encounter. It’s more the same this time around.

Pick: Bulls win in five.

3 Indiana vs. 6 Philadelphia

The Pacers made it into the playoffs despite the issues with Roy Hibbert and his shot. Paul George has matured into a legitimate star and is on the cusp of being a superstar. Danny Granger has reluctantly accepted his role as second banana on a team that, before the season, was seen as his.

The Sixers have made it clear that Andrew Bynum is their future and plan to re-sign him during the offseason. Bynum seems happy, relaxed, and very … Bynum … in Philly and since coming back from injury in late March has played well. He and Holiday are already developing a connection and the Sixers are an organization on the rise.

But they won’t be able to get past Paul George and his versatile Pacers.

Pick: Pacers in six.

4 New York vs. 5 Brooklyn

It’s an instate series and one the NBA is absolutely hoping goes seven games. Both the Knicks and Nets have had good seasons, both play in major markets, and both have serious star power. Melo is playing the best ball of his career but an injury to J.R. Smith means Melo will have to play more of the 3 than the 4. Which means that Amare Stoudemire is returning to his starting role despite his incredible play from the bench.

The Nets are looking to justify their first season in Brooklyn with a deep playoff run, one that makes all the money they used to assemble the team look like pittance. Is a championship too much to ask? Maybe. But Brook Lopez’s best pro season seems to indicate the Nets are serious contenders in an East that has a clear drop off after the Heat and Bulls.

The Knicks have better depth. The Nets have a better starting five.

Pick: Knicks win in seven.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-19-2013, 01:21 PM   #52
Designated Red Shirt

trekfan's Arena

5-4-13

He poured himself another shot and mixed it with his coke. “More?”

His little brother made a face. He was only 16 so this was technically illegal but Ronnie didn’t care. He was drinking by this age, not hardcore or even casually, but he snuck a few every now and then. It was time for Rick to experience it.

Ronnie smirked and sipped at his mixer. “Your loss.”

“How can you drink that?” He asked with a disgusted tone. He had one shot. He barely choked it down. “I mean … Christ, Ronnie, if Mom knew –”

“She doesn’t know and she won’t,” he said with determination. “You know how she feels about this.”

“Don’t you feel the same way?”

Ronnie held the drink in his hand for a moment before setting it down. “For a long time, yeah … I was with her. Don’t touch the stuff. Don’t look at it. Nothing good comes from it.” He stared out into the night. He had flown his brother and mother down for the weekend. He and Rick had stayed here to relax and talk, while his mother and Liz went out to do some shopping.

“So, what changed?” Rick asked, bringing Ronnie back to the conversation at hand.

Ronnie looked at his brother with a grin. “I grew a pair.”

Rick gave him the middle finger, grabbed the mixer, and downed it one shot.
It didn’t take more than a few moments before he was on his knees in the yard, spewing his guts out.

“You got baited into that,” Ronnie chided as Rick shot him another middle finger. It was nice to know he could still count on Rick’s impulsiveness. This was why he always got into foul trouble during games … always trying to gamble and get that steal. “So, how’s school?”

Rick didn’t answer for a few moments as he wiped his mouth off on his shirt collar. “Fine.”

Ronnie sighed. “Mom says you’ve been getting good grades.”

“It’s not like it’s hard,” he said as he stood up. He sat back down in his seat and closed his eyes. “It’s just easy.”

Ronnie took a deep breath. “Well … I’ve been talking with Mom about that. With the money I’m making now we can put you somewhere where they’ll actually teach you.”

Rick’s eyes shot open. “No. No f***ing way.”

“They’re not challenging you.”

“So? It’s fine. I’m not leaving my friends behind for some prep school.”

“What about a prep school that’ll let you become a better basketball player?”

Rick stared at him. “I’m not pro material.”

“If Kwame Brown can get drafted number one overall, you can get drafted.”

“You just compared me to the biggest bust in NBA history,” Rick scoffed. “I’m supposed to take that as a compliment?”

Ronnie rubbed the back of his neck. God, he hated having to debate teenagers. “Look, it’s an option, that’s all I’m saying.”

“You make it sound like it’s a fact.” Rick crossed his arms. “So, is it?”

“Is what?”

“A fact. I know you. You do what you think is best and you don’t wait around. Did you put me in a prep school?”

The question was pointed.

Ronnie bit his lip but shook his head. “I was going to but Liz talked me out of it.”

Rick nodded. “You should marry her.”

“Don’t start,” Ronnie said as he waved him off. “I hear enough of that from Mom.”

“She’s right. Liz is good for you and you’re good for her. Don’t break up again because you guys can’t figure that out. Just propose for God sakes.” Rick leaned back on the chair and shook his head. “I can’t believe you were going to do that.”

There was a silence hanging between them now. Ronnie decided to change the subject. “So, how about them Knicks?”

Rick laughed. “Always about basketball.”

“It’s one of the few things we agree on.”

Rick grudgingly nodded. “Well, the Knicks … let’s see. I lost twenty bucks because of them. I can’t believe they got swept by the Nets … what a crock.”

“It was bad,” Ronnie agreed. The Knicks couldn’t win one game. The Nets swept them and made it look almost easy despite the fact each game was won by six points or less. “Amare just broke the chemistry the team had.”

“They should trade him.”

“They’re looking to from what I hear.” Ronnie reached down into the cooler and pulled out two bottles of water, tossing one to his brother. “I might be listening.”

Rick shot him a disbelieving look. “The Bobcats? Amare and the Bobcats? Really?” He opened his water, took a sip, and shook his head. “You’ve had too much to drink.”

“Maybe. It’s just a thought. Ben Gordon is going to pick up his option despite his agent saying otherwise … we have less cap space than I thought. We need to get better and we’re not exactly a hot spot for free agents.”

“How about them Thunder?” Rick said in clear effort to not talk about the Bobcats. “KD killed the Clippers single handedly.”

Ronnie nodded. “It was an amazing series. Can’t believe the Clippers blew a 3-1 lead.”

“Durant for the win.”

“I think the Jazz might give them trouble.”

“Please, they only won that series because Z-Bo broke his arm in game three. If that hadn’t have happened they would be out.”

Ronnie took a swig of his water and shook his head. “Still can’t believe the Warriors lost. I thought they had that in the bag.”

“The only thing they have in a bag is Andrew Bogut … a body bag anyway. The dude is falling apart.”

“It was a freak injury.”

“I think Bogut’s just an injury freak. He went out and the Warriors tanked.” Rick sighed. “Lost twenty on them too.”

“At least the Heat won.”

“And the Bulls. I got D-Rose versus Philly. The Sixers got lucky against the Pacers.”

Ronnie grinned. “I got Lebron versus Brooklyn.”

“And then there’s the Spurs and Nuggets … who you got there?”

“Spurs.”

“Yeah … I agree.” Rick took out his wallet and pulled a twenty out. “So, it’s a lock that the East is Bulls versus Heat, right?”

Ronnie saw where this was going. He pulled out his wallet and a twenty. “What the hell, I’ll bet Lebron wins.”

“Rose and the Bulls.” The two exchanged twenties, as they did in years past, and put them back in their wallets. “Remember, if you spend it, you lose the bet.”

“I remember,” Ronnie said with a chuckle. “Where do you get all these twenties anyway?”

Rick grinned. “Well, school is easy for me … so I make it easier on others.”

Ronnie knew it was bad but he laughed anyway. “So that’s why you don’t want to leave.”

“Hey, everything’s a business. You run a franchise, I run a franchise.”

Ronnie continued to laugh.

The two brothers were more alike than different.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:44 PM   #53
MVP

BlueJays09's Arena

OVR: 29

hahahahha Kwame Brown....another great read...and it seems that Amare may be destined for the Bobcats!
Old 02-20-2013, 09:39 AM   #54
Designated Red Shirt

trekfan's Arena

2013 NBA Playoffs: Conference Finals Preview

By Aaron Vickers |ESPN.com

May 19, 2013

Only four teams remain in the hunt for a title and three of them were expected to be here … one has risen above expectations and arrived at the cusp of the Finals.

Let’s break it down:

3 Denver vs. 5 OKC

The Nuggets have arrived here despite the best efforts of the veteran Spurs, beating the team 4-2 in a series that showed that perhaps the Spurs really are done. Despite having the three headed monster of Ginolbli, Parker, and Duncan healthy the depth of Denver was too much. With the Spurs heading home, the Nuggets have assumed their place at the conference championship table.

Across from them sits a familiar foe: the Thunder. Riding a wave of determination and rage from Kevin Durant, the Thunder beat the Jazz 4-1 in a series that wasn’t close. Durant is playing out of his mind and has been since coming back from injury, his team’s brush with first round elimination has seemingly energized him.

The Thunder and the Nuggets split their games this year in the regular season. The teams boast two different strategies … one is powered by stars while another has none. One relies on a core group of players to win games while the other can go to their bench for one.

It’s been a wild ride for both teams. No one had the Nuggets getting past the Spurs and no one believed the Thunder could come back from a 3-1 deficit from the Clippers.

Championships are won by stars. Only one starless team in the last 20 years has won a championship, the 2004 Detroit Pistons. The Nuggets could be the next iteration of that team. But then you have the Thunder standing in their way … two stars in Durant and Westbrook want to stake their claim as the NBA’s best duo.

In the end, stars win titles.

Pick: OKC in seven.

1 Miami vs. 2 Chicago

The two teams everyone expected to be here have arrived and the hype is high. The Heat cruised to the best regular season record in the league and look to be primed to get another title. They had no trouble with the Nets, whom they swept, and that was due in large part to the continued stellar play of the bench. The Heat bench continues to be hot but that trend may come to an end against the best defense in the league.

The Bulls have made it back to true form with the return of Derrick Rose and also get back valuable bench contributor Jimmy Butler, who returns from an injury he suffered last series against Sixers. They didn’t really need him as the Bulls won 4-1, losing their lone game on a Jrue Holiday buzzer beater.

The question everyone has is if the Bulls have enough to compete with Miami’s star power. Carlos Boozer is having his best season in years but has had issues in the past playing against Chris Bosh. Taj Gibson is the better of the two for the Bulls … will the Bulls start Gibson over Boozer? Can D-Rose get inside against a tough Miami defense?

Like the West, this will come down to star power.

Pick: Miami in six.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:59 AM   #55
Rookie

Liam_93's Arena

OVR: 6

Loving the playoff recaps and Inrested to see what develops with A'mare
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-20-2013, 01:22 PM   #56
Designated Red Shirt

trekfan's Arena

6-18-2013

Desmond sat in his office as he poured over the various emails he had concerning the offseason. The TV sat muted on the wall ahead of him as images of Kevin Durant and an exuberant Thunder team flashed across the screen. KD was named MVP but Derrick Rose could have easily been named it too with his play. He willed the Bulls past the Heat in seven games and nearly did the same with the Thunder.

But Rose’s team around him failed him. Deng went cold. Boozer disappeared against Serge Ibaka. Rose willed them to two wins but the Thunder were just too much.

In this league, you needed more than just one player. You needed more than just one guy. You needed a team. That had been proven for years. It wasn’t just going to take one star it was going to take at least two … somewhere along the line people forgot that. Somewhere along the line people forgot that before Pippen Jordan never made it to the Finals. That after Shaq, Kobe struggled to get his team past the second round.

In the modern era of the NBA, you needed more than just one guy. You needed at least two max guys and some good players around them. With the new CBA you had to be smarter with your money and you had to invest in youth. Teams around the league were going to be dealing with the harsh realities of the new CBA this summer.

The Bobcats were one of those teams.

There was a knock on his office door. “Come in.”

Ronnie entered it. Desmond hadn’t expected to see him tonight … he figured he’d be with his girlfriend. He rose from his chair. “I didn’t know you were here.”

“Came in at halftime … just couldn’t wait for the real offseason to start,” he said with obvious enthusiasm. “We’re here. We’re finally here.”

Desmond sat back down and pointed at his couch. “Grab a seat … there are some cokes in the mini-fridge.”

Ronnie sat down and opened up the laptop he was holding. “Let’s talk about the draft.”

“We’re taking Noel with our pick, right?”

Ronnie nodded. They were both in agreement about that. “There’s no true dominant big man in our division right now. Sure, Horford is nice, but he’s a four not a five. No, we get Noel … he’s a talent you don’t pass up on.”

“The scouts think Shabazz will be better.”

Ronnie waved his hand dismissively. “You and I were both scouts, you know how we think we know everything when we actually don’t.”

Desmond smiled. “True. What are we doing with the number ten pick?”

Ronnie stared at his computer. This had been a source of contention between the two for awhile now. Desmond wanted to trade that pick away for a young piece, someone to compliment MKG. Ronnie was sure someone would fall into their laps during the draft that could help just as much. “I’m not sure. Have you heard back from any of your feelers?”

Desmond scanned through his email and his eyebrow shot up. “One,” he said as he clicked on the email. He read it quickly. “Minnesota wants to talk about Williams.”

“Really?” Ronnie said in surprise. Neither of them was sure what Minnesota was going to do about Williams. His play was average these past two years and he was demanding more playing team. Love was tired of playing out of position when Williams hit the floor. Williams was weak at the three but pretty decent at the four … but Love operated best out of the four.

“They want picks, no players. They’re looking to free up cap for a run at some free agents.”

Ronnie leaned forward, setting his computer down. “Do we need to offer them this year’s pick?”

Desmond looked up from his screen with surprise now. “You want to send a future to them? That’s risky. We’ve finished in the top of the lottery for years now.”

“Risk is part of the game. We could send them this year’s but I feel this draft class is deeper than next years. I want us to take our shot this year … we go for broke.”

Desmond leaned back in his chair, not sure if he liked what he was hearing. “Go for broke?”

“There are a number of young free agents on the market. I think we could make a run at a few of them.”

“Are we willing to overpay for them? I can’t see any young player willingly coming here when we don’t have much of a future right now. We’re in transition.”

“We are,” Ronnie agreed. “But here me out: if we get draft Noel, get Williams, combine them with MKG, we have three really good pieces right there to build our team around. We take whomever falls to us at the tenth spot and make a run at a young free agent … we sell them on our young core, our future. We also have Michael Jordan waiting in the wings.”

Desmond took a deep breath. “Jordan has never shown a willingness to pitch for free agents.”

“When has he had the chance to? The team has been the rest of the league’s dump for years. ‘Have a player you don’t want? Give them to Charlotte.’ The organization is just seeing the light of day right now. We should seize the day.”

“Win-now?”

Ronnie smiled. “You sound like my girlfriend.”

“I’m not nearly as pretty,” Desmond countered as he brought up a file. “We’re not gonna have enough cap for what you’re talking about. If we do this, we have to say goodbye to some people.”

“I know.”

Desmond looked at him with surprise again. “You know who goes?”

“We amnesty Tyrus. We move Bismack or Sessions or Haywood or a combo of all three. We make a run at a guy who can score for us and score in bunches: Tyreke Evans.”

“I’m not comfortable with going after Evans. The Kings let him walk for a reason, we should be cautious. We should re-sign Collison and draft a young two guard. Evans wants a max deal and we’re barely in position to offer that with the scenario you’ve set up.” Desmond leaned forward. “I get you want to make a splash but landing Williams will be enough. Once we get him we’ll be boasting a frontcourt with monster potential.”

“Potential doesn’t score points,” Ronnie countered. “Tyreke excels with the ball in his hands. Sessions can play off the ball and if we move him we can find a point guard who can exist with Tyreke. He can have a big season like his rookie campaign with us, I know this.”

“You’re high on him,” Desmond said with a shake of his head.

“Hey, Denver gave McGee a near max and he helped get them to the Conference Finals.”

“He’s a big man … they operate by different rules.” Desmond rubbed the back of his neck. “You’re serious about this.”

“I am,” he answered with determination. His eyes locked onto Desmond.

“We have a chance to take this franchise from a joke to a success story. We can challenge for a playoff spot this year if we do this right.”

“And if Evans goes somewhere else?”

“We offer him and Collison. If Evans doesn’t take our offer we take Collison back or find someone else. There’s talent in free agency this year … we can make out with a solid roster with a chance for the playoffs in a lot of

ways.”

Desmond stared back at him and sighed. “I’ll let Minnesota know we’re interested.”

Ronnie smiled. “We’ll be okay.

Desmond had to admire the idealism.

But very rarely in life did things go according to plan.

Especially life in the NBA.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Basketball Dynasties »