Home

Chasing Dreams: The GM Story of Mike Ellis (NBA 2K13)

This is a discussion on Chasing Dreams: The GM Story of Mike Ellis (NBA 2K13) within the Basketball Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Basketball Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-12-2013, 03:52 PM   #1
Rookie

Liam_93's Arena

OVR: 6
Chasing Dreams: The GM Story of Mike Ellis (NBA 2K13)

First of all thanks to those who followed my last Dynasty and I'm sorry to cut it off, But I wanted to try something different and after reading through most of trekfan's first GM dynasty and following his newest one I wanted to give it a go myself. It's something that looks fun and I hope I get half as much followers as he did. I have not had the intention of copying his and he has already given his approval. So thanks trekfan for this idea. Here are my settings:

Rosters: http://www.operationsports.com/forum...ect-360-a.html
Sliders: http://www.operationsports.com/forum...post2044308755
Quarter Length: 12 Mins
Sim Length: 12 Mins
Draft Class: Sim World 2013
Season Length: 82 games
Playoff Format: 7-7-7-7
Injuries and Progressive Fatigue: On
Player Roles On
Team Chemistry: On

30 Team Control Association

The Association will be started from the Beginning of the Season and I will try and Implement transactions as I go along. I will do game wrap-ups similar to my other dynasty. I will be doing some things similar to trekfan's dynasty, With off court stuff, things to do with the team, players meeting with the GM. It will have supporting characters just like any other story. I hope I will get a good group of followers and only hop this can go as half as well as trekfan's. Hope you enjoy.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-12-2013, 04:48 PM   #2
Rookie

Liam_93's Arena

Re: Chasing Dreams: The GM Story of Mike Ellis (NBA 2K13)

11th October 2012

It was a crisp morning as the sun penetrated through the window of the small apartment. It wasn't the best way to wake up by any means, Almost having your eyes burnt out of their sockets. Mike quickly jumped out of bed and took two footsteps to reach his bathroom. That's how small his apartment was. A very dull small room to say the least. As he walked past his dresser in a towel the only thing lighting up the room was his framed business PHD. The frame had a gold rim around it ans was slightly scratched. Probably due to the amount of family members had picked it off the wall to look at it. The Duke crest in the corner of the sheet made him think to himself:

"Is this all I'm going to accomplish, All I'm going to wake up to."

He had always wanted to play basketball but he knew he was never good enough, But he had always been a smart person, one that was capable of leading a business or a company or what he had dreamed of running an NBA organisation. He had been in the same office job for almost a year and hadn't even got close to stepping foot in an NBA organisation.

He was confident when it came to the NBA. Whenever close friends or relatives where at his apartment and SportsCenter or Inside the NBA was one he always had something to say. Although he had a bias towards former Duke players. He sometimes acted like the Clippers with Corey Maggette and Elton Brand were the greatest team to play in the NBA.

He changed into his Charcoal suit and got ready to head downstairs he rushed out the door without his phone as he was halfway out the door he heard it ringing. The default tone. He couldn't be bothered changing it.

"Hello". Mike asked

"Am I speaking to Mike Ellis?" enquired the voice on the other end.

"Yeah...Yeah you are. May I ask who it is?"

"Certainly. This is George Maloof Jr."

Mike hesitated for about 3 seconds.

"George Maloof as in George Maloof of the Maloof family, who own the Sacramento Kings?"

"Yes. What other Maloofs do you know?"

His voice crackled a bit.

"Ahem....None."

"I expected that answer"

"Anyway. I know this is unexpected to say the least. We had a bit of a rush of blood to the head today"

"What calling a complete stranger?" Mike nervously joked.

"Not really no. We would like to explain to you in person. By possibly the middle of the day. Depending how long it takes for you to get to California"

"So your asking me to come for an Interview then?"

"I told you. We will explain when you get here. We have arranged a flight for you to Sacramento."

"It's a bit short notice isn't it?"

"Get used to it" He said. Just before he hung up.

Mike was stunned. He was about to make a trip that could change his life.

Last edited by Liam_93; 02-13-2013 at 08:03 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:08 PM   #3
Designated Red Shirt

trekfan's Arena

OVR: 0

Good start. Looking forward to seeing what the sneaky, two faced Maloofs have in store.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:28 PM   #4
Banned

BraedenG33's Arena

OVR: 2

Love the choice of sacremento, one of my favorite low-talent teams in the game. Tyreke plus Cousin give you a good start I played an offline assoc. w/ them and I got them to the playoff in year 2 and in the finals year 3 with 6 game loss to the bulls. we came back in year 5 and won in 6 vs the Wizards. I most of the games which is how i got so far so quickly.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:55 PM   #5
Rookie

Liam_93's Arena

11th October 2012

Mike was trying to take it all in. He couldn't believe where he was. California was a big place. It wasn't LA but It was still mesmerising to him. As the chauffeur driven car pulled up to Sleep Train Arena he took a big breath. He didn't get nervous often but for anyone in a position like this, a life changing position like this. He was met at the front door by George Maloof Jr. and his two brothers.

"You must be Mike Ellis?" asked Maloof as he extended his hand

"I am. It's a pleasure Mr. Maloof." as he shook Maloof's hand while his was sweating profusely

"Please call me George. These are my two brothers. Joe and Gavin"

He shook both their hands.

"Shall we?" as he guided his arm towards the executive office of the building.

Mike couldn't believe where he was standing. He was looking out the window and taking it in. He was hoping he was going to get the answer to his question and the question himself he was looking for.

"Please sit Michael" as Maloof sat at the window side of the desk

"Now may I ask why I'm here. I am owed an explanation."

"You are indeed."

"Here's what is happening"

"The NBA is a fierce sport and if your not the Champions come the end of the season. Your the Worst. Simple. The Kings as an organization have become all to accustomed to losing over the last say 8 years. Gavin, Joe and I had been discussing this for a while. We needed change. Many people are saying we needed change on the roster. We do. I think we also needed change in the executive side of the franchise as well"

"So what are you getting at?" Mike asked

"Today we fired Geoff Petrie. Today I want to ask you this question"

Mike thought his heart was going to burst it was beating that fast.

"We would like you to be the GM of the Sacramento Kings"

Mike got the question he was looking for.

"I.....I don't know what to say"

"I think you do. You are just surprised. Be our GM Michael"

"Thank you Mr.Ma...I mean George. I just have a question"

"Go on."

"How did you find me?"

"Good question. See we wanted change but this time we wanted to do our research. Get the right man for the job per-say. We know you went to Duke. You talked to coach Mike Krzyzewski."

"Yeah but how could he remember who I was?"

"He said that you were a bright kid. One of the most knowledgeable people about basketball who hasn't ever played professionally. We already know that you are a smart person when it comes to business without looking at any documentation"

"Wow. I mean coach Krzyzewski must know alot of people but to remember that day he talked to me on campus is amazing. I know I shouldn't be asking this but ain't I a bit young to be a GM?"

"Nonsense" George dismissed him straight away

"Success isn't measured by age. It's measured by production and what you do. Do you think Kevin Durant thought he was too young to win his first scoring title, No. If you have the knowledge what's stopping you leading this franchise to success?"

"I'm honoured to be trusted with this position. You won't regret this George" Mike said in a humbled tone.

"Good. That's the attitude I wanted. Now the season starts in less than three weeks. We trust you will make the right decisions going forward." He pushed the contract towards Mike, "Just sign this and we will get you set up"

Mike couldn't believe what had just happened to him. As he left the room he knew what he was in for, The Maloof family wasn't pretty but he had a great opportunity. First he needed to tell someone what happened.

Last edited by Liam_93; 02-13-2013 at 08:07 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-12-2013, 05:58 PM   #6
Rookie

Liam_93's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekfan
Good start. Looking forward to seeing what the sneaky, two faced Maloofs have in store.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BraedenG33
Love the choice of sacremento, one of my favorite low-talent teams in the game. Tyreke plus Cousin give you a good start I played an offline assoc. w/ them and I got them to the playoff in year 2 and in the finals year 3 with 6 game loss to the bulls. we came back in year 5 and won in 6 vs the Wizards. I most of the games which is how i got so far so quickly.
Thanks for the great support of the bat. Depending how things go I plan to keep Cousins but if Tyreke slumps again I can get something good for him and Thornton is a great scorer. Love Isaiah at the point and a plan to develop him alot.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:37 PM   #7
Rookie

DarkOutFront's Arena

OVR: 11

Following.
San Antonio Spurs
D.C United
West Ham United

Twitter - @DarkOutFront
Old 02-12-2013, 08:17 PM   #8
Rookie

Liam_93's Arena

12th October 2012

It was good to be home even if it was just for a day or two. He was about to say goodbye to life in Charlotte. Mike was going to miss his family until he could fly them out to Sacramento. He certainly wouldn't miss his small apartment. The closest team to him the Bobcats were now going to be a foe. He had been following them ever since he graduated from Duke. Even though he had to endure an awful season last year. His Mom and brother had been able to come visit before he left for Sacramento again.

"I'm still a bit shell shocked actually but on the other hand, I cant wait to start" He told them

"Well I'm just glad that this wont go to waste" his mom said as she pulled the Duke certificate of the wall

"Well he's still running a team that sucks" his brother Mark joked

"Hey. That team has talent and you know it bro."

"Yeah I know. You have alot of work to do though"

"Would I have agreed to it if I didn't think I could do it?"

"You know I'm joking. So are you going to make any moves straightaway?"

"I don't know we will see how the first few games go before I don anything drastic"

"How did they come around to choosing you then?" Mark asked

"Well. Remember about two weeks before graduation I told you that I talked to Mike Krzyzewski. They said they went to Duke and obviously talked to him. Which I couldn't believe that he actually remembered me. He said that I ahd great knowledge of the game without playing it"

"That is amazing. Im quite jealous of you now Bro" Mark Joked

"Well I'm proud of you son." His mom said in a proud tone

"Thanks Mom and you now when I get the chance I'm going to get you guys out to Sacramento when I can. Now I need to start packing and I would love for you to stay but I've got some things to do"

"Okay. Well call us when you land" His Mom demanded as they left the apartment.

Mike had separated two piles of clothes ones to pack and ones to throw away, he had never had the time with the job he had he was always working and was too tired to do things like this.

His phone rung

"Hello"

"Hey bud"

"Tom, Man it's good to hear from you"

"I heard the news, I am psyched for you man, I really am"

"Thanks, Looks like I got a lot of work to do though"

"Yeah I know and with owners like them you better hope you don't screw up or who knows what they might do"

"Your sounding like I just sold my soul to the devil man" He laughed

"Not quite but just watch your back. I'll come out their when I can. This is big time man. Bigger than my semi-successful journalist career. So what now?"

"Well I think I need an advisor. Like a man for second opinions."

"What are you saying man?"

"Fancy joining me in Sacramento. Being my right hand man?"

"Oh....Man! I'd love to."

"Great. If you can't get out there tomorrow just get out when you can."

"Sure"

"That's that sorted out. Now I need a head scout the Maloof's cleared house man. I have to start from scratch.

"I have an Idea man. Are you able to meet me at Time Warner Arena in say an hour?"

"Yeah. I can do that"

"Good. See you then man"

"See You"

As he hanged up the phone what could Tom have planned.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

An Hour Later

As Mike drove up to the Arena he seen Tom standing outside. Tom met him as he left the car.

"Good to see you again man. Wont be driving that much longer" he joked

"Yeah. Likewise."

"So What's the plan?"

"Well I know this guy from my days covering the Bobcats, You know the days when Crash was dominating?"

"Yeah. So where is he?"

"He agreed to meet us in the Arena"

"He better be good. I need good people with a team like this. So you better not be BS'ing me man."

"Hey when have I ever BS'ed you man" He said as they walked through the arena

"When you said Mike Dunleavy could be better than Grant Hill PRE Injuries" he joked. Another Duke argument.

They seen a tall figure exit the elevator. It was someone they could only dream of seeing. The Owner of the Bobcats standing before them the greatest Michael Jordan. He stopped and scanned over Mike's face.

"Your'e the Kid who's just landed the Sacramento job?"

Again his voice crackled just like on the phone to Maloof.

"Yeah"

"Good luck kid. Your going to need it in this league" said Jordan as he walked away

Mike and Tom looked at each other and then continued to a room. Tom entered.

"This is the guy I was telling you about"

Mike entered the room. He was looking at a man. He was in his mid forty's. He wore a shirt which looked like it hadn't been ironed in a decade with the sleeves rolled up.

"You must be the Mike Ellis everyone is talking about" He said. He had a rough voice. It sounded like he had just stopped smoking.

"Yes pleased to meet you....Mr ?"

"Myers, Ed Myers. Tom has told me you need a Head scout. Listen kid I've been around a long time. I've had gigs at a lot of teams. I remember my days in Boston. I gave them opinions on Paul Pierce for god sakes and Im still looking for credit for that one. Tom has talked me into helping you. I'm glad to be on board. We have alot of work to do. Tom has my number. I'll meet you in Sacramento tomorrow. I have some errands to run so I have to make this brief. So I'll see you soon. Both of you." He turned round and walked out the door

Mike didn't even get a chance to discuss his plans but he knew Tom they had been friends all their life. He trusted him.

He has the personnel. Now it was time to put the Kings back on the map.

Last edited by Liam_93; 02-12-2013 at 08:27 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Basketball Dynasties »