Home

2010 Recruiting Discussion Thread

This is a discussion on 2010 Recruiting Discussion Thread within the College Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > College Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-24-2010, 01:34 PM   #577
MVP

spit_bubble's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: 2010 Recruiting Discussion Thread

^ I think most of the suspicion around Coach Cal arises from him leaving programs after something goes wrong there.

When you combine that with his personality it just looks bad, because he is for the most part pretty insincere and uh... How shall I say... Ungracious?

I don't know. If you listen to the guy speak for even one minute he comes off as a grease ball... And then the programs he leaves end up in trouble... You just kind of put two and two together...

Sure, you can throw your hands up and claim innocence, but at the same time coaches have to have some level of control of their programs. It's their job, and in the end their responsibility... Some of the blame has to fall on them, along with the Athletic Director...

Can't just skip town and try to dodge all that... Twice.
Old 05-24-2010, 03:32 PM   #578
Banned

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by spit_bubble
I don't know. If you listen to the guy speak for even one minute he comes off as a grease ball...
Every great college coach is a grease ball.

A large portion of their job is to convince high school kids to do something that is almost always not in the kids best interests.
Old 05-24-2010, 05:22 PM   #579
MVP

spit_bubble's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cebby
Every great college coach is a grease ball.

A large portion of their job is to convince high school kids to do something that is almost always not in the kids best interests.
Nonsense...

And you missed my point.

Coach Cal has always been the way he is since his early days at UMass, and his hustle extends beyond just the way he recruits... It's his entire persona... It's basically like that of a stock broker... A deal cutter...

Not every great college coach is like that. Not even close.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:02 PM   #580
Banned

Quote:
Nonsense...
So not every great college coach participates in crooting? If you croot, you're a shady guy who lies to 15-18 year old kids. It's a fact of life.

Quote:
And you missed my point.

Coach Cal has always been the way he is since his early days at UMass, and his hustle extends beyond just the way he recruits... It's his entire persona... It's basically like that of a stock broker... A deal cutter...
Of course I missed your point. Even after clarifying it I don't have any idea what you're saying.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:12 PM   #581
MVP

wildcatchild's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
^ I think most of the suspicion around Coach Cal arises from him leaving programs after something goes wrong there.

When you combine that with his personality it just looks bad, because he is for the most part pretty insincere and uh... How shall I say... Ungracious?

I don't know. If you listen to the guy speak for even one minute he comes off as a grease ball... And then the programs he leaves end up in trouble... You just kind of put two and two together...

Sure, you can throw your hands up and claim innocence, but at the same time coaches have to have some level of control of their programs. It's their job, and in the end their responsibility... Some of the blame has to fall on them, along with the Athletic Director...

Can't just skip town and try to dodge all that... Twice.
Fair enough point! I agree, leaving a program does look bad. And yes, coaches should have some level of control in their programs. But in Calipari's defense, Camby made the decision to take money from an agent, not Cal. The NCAA cleared Rose to play, not Cal. I mean, to penalize Memphis for playing a kid that's cleared to play? That's just insane, unethical, and hypocritical. If I were an AD or coach at any level, that decision alone would have me shaking in my shoes. Basically, the NCAA is saying they can come back at any time and declare a student-athlete ineligible, even if they make it through the Clearinghouse.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-25-2010, 11:43 AM   #582
Banned

OVR: 26

I'd say that Cal is the only coach to take his whole class with him like that after the school paid all the recruiting expenses. Crean didn't, Roy Williams didn't, Sean Miller didn't.

Just my ho.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:49 AM   #583
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsquid
I'd say that Cal is the only coach to take his whole class with him like that after the school paid all the recruiting expenses. Crean didn't, Roy Williams didn't, Sean Miller didn't.

Just my ho.
Why would any of those take their classes with them?

None of them had a class that was anywhere close to Calipari's.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:34 PM   #584
Post Like a Champion!

jake44np's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cebby
Why would any of those take their classes with them?

None of them had a class that was anywhere close to Calipari's.
You dont think Crean could have used his recruits he left for Marquette when he took over a terrible IU team???

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > College Basketball »