Home

Week 4 Discussion

This is a discussion on Week 4 Discussion within the College Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-25-2023, 11:41 AM   #233
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: Week 4 Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by legendkiller5
Exactly. And how many other times was his pregame speech posted and then aired, specifically against the likes of Georgia (when they were underdogs) and Utah (who has owned them recently)?

You’ll eventually get it.
Pregame speeches are aired every single week for different broadcasts. You're not making the point you think you are.

Every program has cameras around it at all times, but not every program goes about marketing the way Colorado has. That's partially why they've gotten so much attention. They're loud, they know it, and they like to show it. Sanders has one of his kids filming a lot of things that other programs don't let out.

Colorado is doing this thing different and it's working. I've enjoyed it. Lanning clearly hasn't.

That speech being aired doesn't make Lanning a hypocrite in the slightest. That's quite a leap you're making. If Oregon was marketing in a similar manner and was as loud as Colorado and then he made that speech, then it would be hypocritical. That's not the case.

Oregon and Colorado have two clearly different marketing approaches and carry their programs a bit differently. Lanning doesn't seem to like Colorado's approach. That's it. Is he supposed to never show his face to the media because he doesn't like how loud Colorado has been otherwise he is a hypocrite?

I just feel you're really stretching things by acting like his speech is equivalent to how Colorado markets things a bit differently. I don't even really agree with Lanning and think he's overreacting to the Prime effect, but I don't for a second see what he did as hypocritical at all.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

― Plato
Old 09-25-2023, 11:52 AM   #234
The Lord of #Hashtags

legendkiller5's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by illwill10
Definitely agree. You can definitely see goalpost being moved. It went from they're only winning 3 games, to they're only winning 6 games. Even if they lose to USC, the proof of concept is already there. People with realistic expectations knew about Colorado's glaring holes and if they can attack the trenches, they can be good in the Big 12 next year
Exactly. The 2022 Colorado football team was an embarrassment to a great program and their fanbase. Prime couldn't handle taking over the reigns with kid gloves. Nor was he; it's who he is and how he believes to best connect to with the younger generations (the kids who he hopes to recruit into the program).

Everything he did is what any coach would do in a program that was an atrocity. He cleaned house. But he did it his way.

I knew this was bigger than Prime and speaks to other things, when Texas State's coach got kudos for beating Baylor week 1, even though about half of his roster, including their QB1, are transfers. Hmm.

The irony of Lanning to comment on Colorado being about clicks and flash is off the page - like it's OREGON. Seven thousand uniform combos and not a single national championship in their trophy case (and this comes from a fan of their program); and a team that got their *** kicked by more physical teams (substance) like Georgia and Utah.

So Lanning - even though he's been on the wrong end of some of those butt whippings - is trying to instill his culture his way in Eugene. Fine.

Prime is doing the same thing in Boulder. Why I said Lanning is a cornball and called out the obvious hypocrisy is because their approach is different - but the objective is the same: motivating and inspiring a group of 18-24 year olds to believe they can win and execute to win.

It's just one approach is considered the right way and the other is Prime's way; the hypocrisy is Lanning took everything surrounding Prime personally (which was obvious when he went for it up big late in the 4th, twice), when they're both attempting to accomplish the same thing for their team and their program.

Lanning's salty his team (who is obviously better) didn't get the same or more attention. But, but, but, I thought coaches didn't care about what people outside of their program think or said??

And if people didn't think Lanning didn't rehearse that speech, knowing the cameras would be rolling...lol.

As you said, illwill, no one in their right mind thought this run was going to last. I personally think they'll be more competitive, but still lose big, to USC. It was a fun ride, even if it was talked about too much.

Tl;dr: Some people are saying the quiet part out loud, about some of the folk who are happy Oregon kicked Colorado's butt on Saturday.
Old 09-25-2023, 12:16 PM   #235
The Lord of #Hashtags

legendkiller5's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
Pregame speeches are aired every single week for different broadcasts. You're not making the point you think you are.

Every program has cameras around it at all times, but not every program goes about marketing the way Colorado has. That's partially why they've gotten so much attention. They're loud, they know it, and they like to show it. Sanders has one of his kids filming a lot of things that other programs don't let out.

Colorado is doing this thing different and it's working. I've enjoyed it. Lanning clearly hasn't.

That speech being aired doesn't make Lanning a hypocrite in the slightest. That's quite a leap you're making. If Oregon was marketing in a similar manner and was as loud as Colorado and then he made that speech, then it would be hypocritical. That's not the case.

Oregon and Colorado have two clearly different marketing approaches and carry their programs a bit differently. Lanning doesn't seem to like Colorado's approach. That's it. Is he supposed to never show his face to the media because he doesn't like how loud Colorado has been otherwise he is a hypocrite?

I just feel you're really stretching things by acting like his speech is equivalent to how Colorado markets things a bit differently. I don't even really agree with Lanning and think he's overreacting to the Prime effect, but I don't for a second see what he did as hypocritical at all.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
"I hope all the people watching last week are watching this week".

I don't blame or have any problem with Lanning's William Wallace impersonation, with his overly-rehearsed pregame speech. And I can't deny the end result (42-6). Just calling it how it is. It boils down to attention (I wonder how many clicks Lanning's speech has gotten on social media and how that will be packaged as a recruiting tool); who's getting it and who thinks they should get it.

By the way, the bold part - most people without knowing you're talking about Colorado, would think you're talking about Oregon.

Last edited by legendkiller5; 09-25-2023 at 12:19 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-25-2023, 01:02 PM   #236
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

Quote:
"I hope all the people watching last week are watching this week".

I don't blame or have any problem with Lanning's William Wallace impersonation, with his overly-rehearsed pregame speech. And I can't deny the end result (42-6). Just calling it how it is. It boils down to attention (I wonder how many clicks Lanning's speech has gotten on social media and how that will be packaged as a recruiting tool); who's getting it and who thinks they should get it.

By the way, the bold part - most people without knowing you're talking about Colorado, would think you're talking about Oregon.
That quote is still not hypocritical at all? I would say I don't know how you're not understanding this, but your last statement makes it clear. Oregon does not market themselves like Colorado does. I get that the uniforms are flashy, but Lanning does not act like Deion at all. Lanning does not have a son who has a separate YouTube channel that is constantly showing inside scoops of the program. Lanning doesn't seem to run the program in a similar manner. They're not really that identical.

If you're going to act like Oregon wearing 1,000 different uniforms is the same thing as Colorado's marketing, then we'll just agree to disagree. I don't see it that way at all. I find what Colorado is doing is entertaining and don't hate it like others seem to. It's clear as day to me they are doing things differently than just about any other program, including Oregon. That's why I don't really see Lanning as being hypocritical at all.

Now, if he marketed his program the same way Deion does. If Lanning had a separate YouTube channel that was showing constant behind the scenes looks into the program, and if he had his players playing with the bravado that Deion is trying to instill into his players, I'd get your point, but I don't really think Deion & Colorado and Lanning & Oregon really have that similar of identities, even with Oregon having all their uniforms.

― Plato
Old 09-25-2023, 01:29 PM   #237
Expletive Deleted

Ghost Of The Year's Arena

OVR: 0

Offensive Lineman of the Week, it has to be a tie between theO-Lineman from Louisville, and thO-Lineman from Houston. The only way their performance could have been outdone is if an O-Lineman vomitied on himself after doing cartwheels. As for the Housto OT, I'm surprised a ref didnt' halt play and get the tackle off the field for health safety. I can"t believe there wasn't one referee that didnt' notice that happen.
#44Syracuse
Old 09-25-2023, 02:29 PM   #238
Hall Of Fame

AUChase's Arena

OVR: 35

Dan Lanning is motivating 18-22ish year old's, not old dudes. It's supposed to be corny. These kids live on the internet and see the videos, hype, discussion etc. I don't think there's anything wrong with what he said. I don't know if we all exist on the same internet but all of the PAC-12's media partners turning into a propaganda machine for a conference foe when in reality you're a 3 touchdown favorite would be enough fuel for most people.

This sport is supposed to be fun and now everyone can't get past their own cynicism and trying to find the hypocrisy in everything and just enjoy the sport.

Like if Mike Gundy's infamous "I'm a man I'm 40" rant came out today I know someone out there would say "Well he's actually 40 years, 6 months, and 12 days."

The same can be said for people mad about Ryan Day's goofy *** post-game rant about old man Lou Holtz. They have beat Notre Dame 6 times in a row.. everyone isn't doubting Ohio State but it's fun for the sport.

Last edited by AUChase; 09-25-2023 at 03:31 PM.
Old 09-25-2023, 10:01 PM   #239
The Lord of #Hashtags

legendkiller5's Arena

It really wasn't that difficult to see or follow, but here we are.

Alrighty.
Old 09-25-2023, 10:45 PM   #240
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

Quote:
It really wasn't that difficult to see or follow, but here we are.

Alrighty.
You're right, it wasn't difficult to follow. People just disagree with your take. It happens.

― Plato

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football »