Home

Bowl Season Discussion

This is a discussion on Bowl Season Discussion within the College Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 01-02-2019, 10:14 PM   #353
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: Bowl Season Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUowls
Whether you choose to see it or not your statements are unequivocally wrong. Sure it's simple Georgia bias when I can point to 3rd party analysis stating the same things. I'd love to see what analysis was done to back up your claimthe simple facts that I have listed like it isn't normal to only have 15 out of 34 players remaining at a school just 2 years removed from a top recruiting class.

If you are just taking about the total potential of the roster including all the true freshmen and graduate transfers that Kirby brought in for 2016 then I might be on board with what you're selling. My original point though remains, the team he inherited and fielded in 2016 was not a good one and it should not have surprised anyone that it went the way it did.

I don't know how many teams with top 5 or top 10 talent can't even make a preseason top 25 list.

Sent from my Pixel using Operation Sports mobile app

Just to get some numbers to back me up, 247's team composite fro m2016 has numbers pretty close to what I was saying. Like I said, the team may have been young, but a lack of talent was not an issue at all when Kirby took over.

https://247sports.com/Season/2016-Fo...lentComposite/

― Plato

Last edited by canes21; 01-02-2019 at 10:15 PM. Reason: a link would be useful
Old 01-02-2019, 10:32 PM   #354
Keep the Faith

TripleCrown9's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr.
How was it only a one score game?? LSU completely dominated the stats. Crazy stuff

Sent from my SM-G920V using Operation Sports mobile app
Well after we were forced to sub in a mop bucket on defense*, they got a garbage time score. And if it wasn't for the BS pick-6 that should've been called back, the final would've been 40-18.

We held them (the quarterback) to fewer than 100 yards, they didn't have a 100-yard rusher. We really did dominate them.

*- not an actual mop bucket, but we did have a WR playing CB for most of the second half (a second half, btw, that UCF didn't get a first down in until I think halfway through the 4th quarter).
Old 01-03-2019, 12:04 AM   #355
All Star

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
Just to get some numbers to back me up, 247's team composite fro m2016 has numbers pretty close to what I was saying. Like I said, the team may have been young, but a lack of talent was not an issue at all when Kirby took over.

https://247sports.com/Season/2016-Fo...lentComposite/
That seems to be the issue. You were referring to simple star ratings for the opening day roster without context. There are two problems with the composite recruiting ranking. First, a guy like Brice Ramsey who was a 4* QB in 2013 still contributes a 4* rating 3 years later despite being converted to a punter after a few years failing to even secure the backup QB spot. Another 4* QB in Greyson lambert was was their raising the team ratings (A backup QB who had lost his starting job the year prior at the University of Virginia to the great Kurt Benkert before transferring to UGA). Second, the way the calculation works incoming 5* freshmen Jacob Eason, Isaac Nauta, and Mecole Hardman all count more than a rising sophomore like Roquan Smith (4*).

One additional problem is that it doesn't account for stacking players at a particular position. Like RB where Chubb and Michel (both 5*) and Elijah Holyfield (4*) all shared a single position. They all count the same towards the rankings yet the team was praying that a transfer from Rhode Island would be able to come in and anchor the offensive line because Richt had no idea how to recruit/develop O-linemen.

So yeah, if your argument is simply that in terms of unrefined talent and potential they were at or at least near top 10 then I don't disagree. Again though, my point has always been that the actual team Georgia fielded in 2016 was not very good because so much of the talent had yet to mature and that depth was a massive issue because there were entire position groups that at most had a single standout starter (4/5 of the Offensive line, the entire WR corp, 3/4 of the secondary + the backups for each of those units). The 2017 team that made it to the NC game had 8 starters brought in by Kirby and the first 2 guys off the bench at almost every single position offense and defense were also from Kirby's classes. Hence why I can say Kirby had to basically rebuild the team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
Not you in particular, just people in general.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
To an extent I kind of understand the argument. Within the first 10 minutes of the game Georgia had shot themselves the foot like a half dozen times by their own unforced errors. However, Texas was clearly the team more ready and more motivated to play from the opening kickoff. Even after half time when Georgia had the opportunity to reset and start fresh with the score still close enough to make a game of it, Texas didn't let them. Even with all the miscues early on Georgia had time to rebound and they never did. Credit to Texas for controlling the line of scrimmage and not letting their opponent creep back into the game.

Last edited by KSUowls; 01-03-2019 at 12:29 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-03-2019, 12:14 AM   #356
Hall Of Fame

l3ulvl's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleCrown9
Well after we were forced to sub in a mop bucket on defense*, they got a garbage time score. And if it wasn't for the BS pick-6 that should've been called back, the final would've been 40-18.

We held them (the quarterback) to fewer than 100 yards, they didn't have a 100-yard rusher. We really did dominate them.

*- not an actual mop bucket, but we did have a WR playing CB for most of the second half (a second half, btw, that UCF didn't get a first down in until I think halfway through the 4th quarter).
If the UCF receivers had caught all the passes they dropped and took them for TDs it would've been 195-40
Old 01-03-2019, 01:54 AM   #357
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr.
Washington made the Rose Bowl interesting at the end today. Apparently the Iowa/MSU and Penn State/Kentucky games were decent today, but I didn't watch either of them.

I can't think of any others
Yeah u watched all those. It just seems the same thing is happening. One teams gets up big. The other team coming back when it doesn't matter. Game over. I guess I'm greedy for some back and forth games. Not these games where literally one team shows up. And then the other wakes up in the fourth when it's garbage time.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Old 01-03-2019, 12:35 PM   #358
MVP

saintrules's Arena

OVR: 0

Thought this bowl season (including playoffs) was incredibly disappointing...

For the first time in a longtime, I found myself watching only a handful of games this time around and when I think back on them, none really hit a five/five level of excitement.

The playoffs have definitely tainted the importance of winning some of the NY6 Bowls, especially for teams who were in the true hunt of the CFP (Georgia, Ohio State, Michigan). Sure, winning Urban's last game, especially at the Rose Bowl, was probably super important for the Buckeyes, but had it not been his last, Rose Bowl, etc, I feel like it would have just been a "meh, Bucks won, okay", kind of thing.

I'm not going to lay out what I want to see changed, just wanted to convey I thought this season was a bit of a letdown...anyone else?
Old 01-03-2019, 12:41 PM   #359
Hall Of Fame

superjames1992's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintrules
The playoffs have definitely tainted the importance of winning some of the NY6 Bowls, especially for teams who were in the true hunt of the CFP (Georgia, Ohio State, Michigan). Sure, winning Urban's last game, especially at the Rose Bowl, was probably super important for the Buckeyes, but had it not been his last, Rose Bowl, etc, I feel like it would have just been a "meh, Bucks won, okay", kind of thing.
I do agree with this. I definitely don’t get excited for the old BCS bowls like I used to since the playoffs were introduced and we have players skipping them now. It seems like most of the teams in them are disappointed to be there, especially those teams on the cusp of the playoffs. I think it’s a worthy tradeoff as I like the four-team playoff over what we had before, but it is kind of unfortunate. Oh, well.
Old 01-05-2019, 01:18 AM   #360
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUowls
To me it was always a dumb argument for anyone to put UGA at #4, and I say that as a fan of the school. They had their shot on the field, and they lost. I do hope we get to a day where the committee discounts any team completely who isn't a conference champion.
I would actually say do a 10 team playoff, every FBS conference champion gets in, then do it NBA playoffs style, where it's 1 vs 10, 2 vs. 9, 3 vs 8, etc. That would be a novel concept and one that me and most other fans would accept.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football »