Home

Thinking of getting a PS3

This is a discussion on Thinking of getting a PS3 within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-30-2007, 05:10 PM   #1
stewaat

OVR:
Thinking of getting a PS3

Well my 360 hasn't died or anything, but I have gotten the lights. I turn it back on and it works fine. The lights have been on the machine twice in the 2 or 3 weeks I've had this new one after trading my 1st one in (lasted a year).

Here's what I like to do:

+ 99% of the time I'm gonna be playing games on it
+ On-line isn't that huge of a deal to me
+ I do love Halo, but it's probably better not to get it because it is very time consuming and those little kids who are amazing at it tick me off
+ I mainly play sports game (Halo would be missed but MLB The Show would be a nice addition --- I just finished my college baseball career)
+ Having the rosters transfer easily would be awesome. I always get NCAA and the college basketball game

In the long run will the PS3 have an edge? I'm a jock, I don't like fantasy games. Halo is all about competition, why I play it.

I would trade in my 360 for a PS3 if I did do this. It just seems like the 360 is so full of problems it drives me crazy. I'm afraid to turn the thing on. Obviously I would have to give up some things I really enjoy, but I would get some great things in return.

Is the difference between NCAA on the systems that big? I'm sure it's a little slower but is it going to kill the game for me? Is EASportsworld.com working for people? Are the vids and pics uploading correctly?

Thanks for any input, about to go make some dinner and then I'll be back to check this out. Hopefully there are some good points by people.

You can tell me if I'm stupid too

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-30-2007, 05:27 PM   #2
MVP

Gary Armida's Arena

OVR: 37
Re: Thinking of getting a PS3

You sound like my type of gamer. I am sports only too. I had both systems for a while but I am down to the PS3 (after the 360 died 5 times).

If online isn't a big deal, then you can't go wrong with a PS3, especially if you are a sports gamer. The Show is possibly the best game I have ever played, period (I'm 32 years old and gaming since before the commodore 64). That, alone, made my PS3 a no-brainer.

Rosters are so easy to transfer--no kits or anything. The PS3 gets many system updates (although certain things like accessing the system main menu in the middle of a game is still not available) so it is constantly improving.

Framerates for EA games are at 30 on the PS3 and 60 on the 360, as you well know. I am not hugely bothered by it, but I am not that picky.

You probably will get alot of responses saying there are no good games for the PS3, but all of the sports games are available, so that's not really an issue.

I'm sure you'll get more responses, but I am happy having just one console. I think the PS3 will evolve into more of a complete system (online etc.), but I am satisfied. I like both machines, but to a sports only, not alot of online gamer, the PS3 more than suits my needs.

BTW--congrats on finishing your career. After playing, I went into coaching HS baseball. Keep in the game; it's different not playing, but it's still great to be around it and teaching it.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:34 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewaat
+ I do love Halo, but it's probably better not to get it because it is very time consuming and those little kids who are amazing at it tick me off

and favre said pretty much everything

and if you're interested in action games, there are some nice ones coming out for the ps3, like Lair and Heavenly Sword

Last edited by Munkey; 07-30-2007 at 05:36 PM.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:35 PM   #4
stewaat

OVR:

Great response.

Just one quick question: Can you upload the stuff to EAsportsworld? I really like that feature.

Okay maybe a couple more questions:

Where can I trade in the 360 and what deals are best?
What PS3 could I get if I'm the described gamer above?

I'm definitely not gonna say 30fps vs 60fps will kill the game for me.

Old 07-30-2007, 05:36 PM   #5
stewaat

OVR:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munkey

and favre said pretty much everything
I was really good at Halo and then all those little kids modding and whatnot. Drove me nuts, made me lose when I shouldn't. I probably spent much more time in my life devoted to Halo than I need to. I played it nonstop for one summer, I was such a loser.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-30-2007, 05:40 PM   #6
*n H**t*s..R*b**ld*ng..

SLAYER's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
In the long run will the PS3 have an edge? I'm a jock, I don't like fantasy games. Halo is all about competition, why I play it.
Don't ask that here. Most open and closet 360 supporters can't look beyond 2007, and even then, it will be "too late". No one can predict how the console market share will turn out by 2010. "Who knows" is my official response.

Halo is much more competitive, but less realistic than the Metal Gear series--in regards to the fantasy comment. Space marines and aliens or super soldiers with occasionally heady dialogue and a dizzying number of subplots. Just a thought.

The PS3 will probably have the better adventure (God of War, Heavenly Sword, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, etc.) games, but the 360 will probably retain the FPS & third-person shooter crown (Gears of War, Halo, Bioshock, etc.).

Quote:

I would trade in my 360 for a PS3 if I did do this. It just seems like the 360 is so full of problems it drives me crazy. I'm afraid to turn the thing on. Obviously I would have to give up some things I really enjoy, but I would get some great things in return.
Keep in mind, most of your 360 problems are being worked on, and more than likely solved (if you buy another 360) by this Fall.

Quote:

Is the difference between NCAA on the systems that big? I'm sure it's a little slower but is it going to kill the game for me? Is EASportsworld.com working for people? Are the vids and pics uploading correctly?
No, it's not "that big", but it is noticeable. To some, enough so to make the 360 the only version to buy. But if you have no choice, it's very playable. EA & 2K are still in the business of developing & selling games. I have the PS3 versions of APF2K8 and NCAA 08, and both are playable. I didn't play the 360 version of APF 2K8, but did play NCAA 08 on both.

Quote:
Thanks for any input, about to go make some dinner and then I'll be back to check this out. Hopefully there are some good points by people.

You can tell me if I'm stupid too
Also, you say you'll play games 99% of the time, but the blu-ray movie playback is a nice side bonus if you take the plunge. Kind of like the XBL movie marketplace. You may not use it immediately or very much, but there may come a time when it comes in handy.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:52 PM   #7
stewaat

OVR:

Where should I trade in my 360?

I can also trade in my XBOX, I haven't unpacked it yet.

Old 07-30-2007, 06:28 PM   #8
Aka."Footballforever"

RoyalBoyle78's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Where should I trade in my 360?

I can also trade in my XBOX, I haven't unpacked it yet.
from experience, if you really love the 360, you will miss it. I know this first hand, The PS3 is a great system, but I rarely played it let alone watched Blu-ray movies because I still watch my regular DVD's. The 360 was just the better gaming system all around IMO. Thats why I'm back with a 360, and now since the elite is 1080p, I'm even more happy this time around. Just becareful, thats all I'm saying.
N.Y Islanders
Miami Hurricanes

Twitter - @RoyalBoyle78
XBOX LIVE - Royalboyle78
PSN - RoyalBoyle78

Last edited by RoyalBoyle78; 07-30-2007 at 06:49 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »