Home

Gamespot Editor fired over Kane and Lynch Review?

This is a discussion on Gamespot Editor fired over Kane and Lynch Review? within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-01-2007, 12:40 AM   #33
Probably Insane

Village Idiot's Arena

OVR: 30
Re: Gamespot Editor fired over Kane and Lynch Review?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggies7
I like my reviews from people here on OS anyways. I usually dont agree with the Gamespot and IGN reviews.
This is quite the fashionable thing to say, but can we get some honesty? The impression threads around here are all the same. They go like this, and you all know it:

DAY ONE: "My god, this the best game ever. PURE CRACK!"
DAY TWO: "I like everything, except ...."
DAY THREE: "Meh, I could do without it."
DAY FOUR: "This game is garbage."

Of course that's a simplification, but I don't think there's any question that reading impressions is just as much of a crapshoot as reading reviews. No it's not a good idea to base a purchase on one, two or even three reviews, but I'll put my money on a collection of professionals just as soon as I will on a collection of random dudes. I understand there's a great sense of community here, but let's be real.

Last edited by Village Idiot; 12-01-2007 at 12:43 AM.
Old 12-01-2007, 12:46 AM   #34
Older

luv_mist's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre
This is not surprising

I have always suspected that games with bigger marketing budgets get away with a lot when it comes to reviews. I think this effect has become even more prominent recently. I'll throw out Madden 06 at IGN as an example- that game was a steaming pile and it still got an 8.0 there. There are countless examples but the bottom line is that a lot of publishers have far too much say in what happens in game reviews.
The reason a lot of sites give Madden a high review score regardless of what it is personally is because of the sales of Madden and power that it has become as the only licensed NFL football title. It also leads to othe exclusive deals.

"You give this one game a nice 8.0, then we'll let you see a couple of things that we are working on."

Listening to the 1UP Yours podcast really has educated many gamers in sniffing out the sites that are in it with no love or respect for the industry. Messed up because Gamespot was one of the first gaming sites I've ever heard of when I started getting on the internet. I wonder if that's why Rich left? Just out of nowhere he up and leaves. Gamespot is going to take such a hit. Hopefully something good comes out of this and awakens the industry into being a little more legit. The the sites and reviewers definitely should tell on the producers, developers, and companies that try to buy reviews out of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnwood
Jeff is too smart to not know the fallout of this review. So there is much more going on here. There's a certain swagger to that review that seems like he was ready to go.

With that said, good job Jeff! Always enjoyed your work, in the podcasts every week and On the Spot! You'll return from the ashes.
He sounded like he was definitely pounding that game extremely hard. Of course, the quality of videos that he was showing wasn't helping at all. Not like Eidos is a heavy hitter anyway. Was a cool concept that didn't get to ripen properly. Glad he killed it. I wonder when a response about the whole situation hits.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undefeated
This is quite the fashionable thing to say, but can we get some honesty? The impression threads around here are all the same. They go like this, and you all know it:

Of course that's a simplification, but I don't think there's any question that reading impressions is just as much of a crapshoot as reading reviews. No it's not a good idea to base a purchase on one, two or even three reviews, but I'll put my money on a collection of professionals just as soon as I will on a collection of random dudes. I understand there's a great sense of community here, but let's be real.
Can't agree with that. Thing is that you view the posters who are posting on here and you align yourself up with the taste of those whom you knwo you might be most similar to in likes and dislikes. In dealing with certain topics and game concepts, I know that I can take the impressions from everyone, but the main people I focus on are Pared, WTF, GSW, Kruza, Dice, AltimusPrime, and a few others that job past my mind. You find those who you know have the most similar taste in style of gaming and you analyze what they say. Then you check out the game for yourself and see where it leads you. Only so many impressions you can take anyhow.

Last edited by luv_mist; 12-01-2007 at 01:00 AM.
Old 12-01-2007, 01:06 AM   #35
MVP

OVR: 14

Quote:
I cancelled mine too.

I'm aware that they are mainstream, but I regularly paid yearly because of the staff and production values of their gaming coverage. I still have some favorites there though--Brad Shoemaker, Justin Calvert, Brian Ekberg(I wonder if you post here), Ryan McDonald, Mario, etc... Yes I'm a Gamespot fanboy. lol
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-01-2007, 01:16 AM   #36
Banned

thelwig14's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:

QFT. The initial nuthugging here is out of control, so there are just a few posters here that you can trust with objective opinions. I remember immediately posted that NCAA was busted and ODogg acted like I impregnated his sister. Only a few people on this site will call a game out and admit they blew $60. The others, you have to wait about 3 weeks.

Like you stated, the simple solution is to take the biggest sample possible of opinions to formulate the consensus.
Old 12-01-2007, 01:21 AM   #37
RIP Brodie!!!

CaptainZombie's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:

I agree, there are just too many people on here that will bust a nut over games acting like they just played the best thing in the world. Then after a few weeks they stop playing or diss the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv_mist
Can't agree with that. Thing is that you view the posters who are posting on here and you align yourself up with the taste of those whom you knwo you might be most similar to in likes and dislikes. In dealing with certain topics and game concepts, I know that I can take the impressions from everyone, but the main people I focus on are Pared, WTF, GSW, Kruza, Dice, AltimusPrime, and a few others that job past my mind. You find those who you know have the most similar taste in style of gaming and you analyze what they say. Then you check out the game for yourself and see where it leads you. Only so many impressions you can take anyhow.
I've done that where I have listened to other posters on how good games are only to be burned. Impressions can only take you so far until you have tried the game yourself.

BTW, bro do you still want to cut my lawn?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelwig14
QFT. The initial nuthugging here is out of control, so there are just a few posters here that you can trust with objective opinions. I remember immediately posted that NCAA was busted and ODogg acted like I impregnated his sister. Only a few people on this site will call a game out and admit they blew $60. The others, you have to wait about 3 weeks.

Like you stated, the simple solution is to take the biggest sample possible of opinions to formulate the consensus.
I agree.
Old 12-01-2007, 01:28 AM   #38
Older

luv_mist's Arena

OVR: 33

Hey, I know it's cold but I'll have the lawn mower and scissors out in a jiffy Sunday morning. LOL!!
Old 12-01-2007, 01:34 AM   #39
RIP Brodie!!!

CaptainZombie's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv_mist
Hey, I know it's cold but I'll have the lawn mower and scissors out in a jiffy Sunday morning. LOL!!
LOL! Were supposed to get a lot of snow by Sunday......let's see how true the weather forecasters predictions are going to be.
Old 12-01-2007, 02:13 AM   #40
Go Wings!

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelwig14

I see what you mean, but honestly it takes 3 weeks sometimes to get a good feel for a game. Some issues don't appear right at first. I don't know, I personally have no investment in EA, 2k, any company, so I'm not afraid to call something out. At the same point, when I got NCAA my life didn't cease and let me play 50 games a day. I was lucky Mass Effect came out over Thanksgiving, and games like that are one a year max. I just don't have the time I did 5 years ago to really play some of these games.

Personally I'd question the validity of people going "ZOMG I wasted 60 bucks" the day after a game comes out (same as I question the nuthuggers)...Just gotta wait for things to normalize and that takes time.

Sports games are different than other games though, I have found I needed to have a more choice pool of people I read impressions of. I play for fun and a lot of people look way too far into these games. I like depth but I don't want to suck the enjoyment out of a sports game. If I could play and analyze like a real NFL QB then I'd be playing on Sundays. I want realism, but I don't count plays, I don't do all that stuff. I don't mess with sliders. I just know some people here who are more my "style" so I look for their impressions and can usually gage a game well.

Last edited by mgoblue; 12-01-2007 at 02:21 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »