Home

PlayStation CEO Thinks Nintendo Makes "Babysitting Tools"

This is a discussion on PlayStation CEO Thinks Nintendo Makes "Babysitting Tools" within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-11-2011, 09:46 AM   #17
Animal Liberation

EnigmaNemesis's Arena

OVR: 55
The eyetoy had games that tracked movement of the body years ago.

Not to the extent of the Kinect, but that is how technology grows.

Just as the Move is far superior to the Wii remote due to tracking in a 3D space, and perfect 1:1 precision.

Advancement in technology. Also the Move was in development even before the Wii came out. They wanted it on the PS2 with the eyetoy, but the tech was not mature enough then.

"Copying" comments are such corny arguments. Bottom line, tech industry always adopts from one another and then builds with advancements.

Everyone copied the Magnavox Odyssey with that logic. . And Coleco and PCs had analog long before consoles, and a thing called a mouse that pretty much does the same thing as a Move or WiiMote with a cursor on the screen.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:16 AM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: PlayStation CEO Thinks Nintendo Makes "Babysitting Tools"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket21
I'm a self-respecting 35-year-old man who just sat on an airplane for several hours playing my 3DS. Then again, he only mentioned the 20-year-olds........
Haaaaaaaaaa! I was a little put off by that comment as well. He must not ever go to Japan. Grandmothers, Grandfathers, and everyone else is playing a DS. Not just children who need to be occupied.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:46 PM   #19
Everyday is Faceurary!

dickey1331's Arena

OVR: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globular_Fresh
Haaaaaaaaaa! I was a little put off by that comment as well. He must not ever go to Japan. Grandmothers, Grandfathers, and everyone else is playing a DS. Not just children who need to be occupied.
The same can be said with Sony in Japan also.

Do you really care where I sent this from?
NFL: Dallas Cowboys
NHL: Dallas Stars
NBA: Dallas Mavericks

I own a band check it out
Old 04-11-2011, 09:17 PM   #20
Animal Liberation

EnigmaNemesis's Arena

OVR: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globular_Fresh
He is the American Sony Boss. So his comment does make sense for America.

It is not widely popular among adults here to be rocking your hand held in public. It is more of a smart phone country. And the Nintendo hand helds are seen much much more in kids hands here.

Last edited by EnigmaNemesis; 04-14-2011 at 06:26 PM.
Old 04-14-2011, 06:13 PM   #21
Banned

RememberMe12's Arena

OVR: 3

Why play handhelds when there are perfectly free emulators of consoles to play on your android device? I was playing Mortal Kombat Trilogy on mine the other day.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-24-2011, 10:50 PM   #22
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHooe
Completely unfair example.

There is no comparison, technically speaking, between the EyeToy and the Kinect. From a hardware standpoint the Kinect blows the EyeToy out of the water.

The EyeToy was a camera, and only a camera. It was used as such in the games that supported it, either via using photographs in games (such as created character faces in the later Tony Hawk games) or visual playback of movements the user does (such as a few of the Dance Dance Revolution games). One or two of the games could, via software, intersect what the camera sees with a 2D representation of objects in-game to emulate hitting targets on the screen, such as the EyeToy-brand party games.

By contrast, the Kinect actually builds a virtual skeletal representation of the user it sees, and also can fully track movement and distance of each joint from the sensor to do something useful with this information. Using this capability, the Kinect, unlike the EyeToy, is capable of gesture recognition and facial expression recognition. Dance Central, for example, would under no circumstances be technically possible with the EyeToy; it has no concept of skeletons, gestures, or anything else, it just watches the user and transmits video to its receiver. The Kinect can also listen to a user's voice and interpret that as a command; primarily I've only seen this used with the XBOX Dashboard to this point.

The point is that the Kinect is not just a camera. It has a camera in it, but it goes far beyond what the EyeToy ever hoped to do and to call the Kinect a ripoff of the EyeToy is extremely misguided.

I dont see this arguement at all. If what you're saying is true then where are the games that take advantage??? Please show me. Maybe its just me but all I see from kinect is stupid (i know its my opinion) little dance/jump/driving games with no substance!

Big difference from what the move can bring to a system, just look at the games already out and you can actually SEE/PLAY the possible things that can be done in the future and I really dont see anything from kinect (like i said, please show me something that shows differently)

-things like mlb the show swinging a bat (could be used as glove/arm in fielding?!?)

-sports pack already great games for multiplayer especially

the greatest ones of them all so far...

SOCOM! and the sharpshooter! woowwwwww after playing for a few days i dont think i can go back to the sticks!

Old 04-25-2011, 02:44 AM   #23
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyMoss84
I dont see this arguement at all. If what you're saying is true then where are the games that take advantage??? Please show me. Maybe its just me but all I see from kinect is stupid (i know its my opinion) little dance/jump/driving games with no substance!

Big difference from what the move can bring to a system, just look at the games already out and you can actually SEE/PLAY the possible things that can be done in the future and I really dont see anything from kinect (like i said, please show me something that shows differently)

-things like mlb the show swinging a bat (could be used as glove/arm in fielding?!?)

-sports pack already great games for multiplayer especially

the greatest ones of them all so far...

SOCOM! and the sharpshooter! woowwwwww after playing for a few days i dont think i can go back to the sticks!
I was comparing the Kinect and the EyeToy in terms of how they work technically, and there isn't a comparison as the Kinect is technologically superior. My argument had nothing to do with the Move, which is essentially a Wii clone.

The appeal of the Kinect over the Move and the Wii is that the Kinect watches what the player does and interprets it without the need of a controller, wand, or any other handheld device which actively sends input to the console. "You are the controller", the tagline says, and it's true. It's a fundamentally different experience than the Move or Wii, as it's far more visceral, thus the flooding of more active games such as all the dance and exercise titles for the platform. Its sports minigame package is no different than Wii Sports or whatever the Move's version is.

To "what games take advantage" of the Kinect's technological superiority, any Kinect game that implements motion tracking (all of them) does. Whether it be the obligatory bowling game, Kinectimals, Yoostar, or Dance Central. That's what the Kinect does. In particular, Yoostar, a game where the user is asked to recreate a part in a famous movie scene, is absolutely not possible with the Move or the Wii.

Speaking of Dance Central, it's Harmonix' top-selling game right now (having outsold the highly-praised Rock Band 3), so I think it'd be a bit shortsighted to poke fun of it. Yoostar is also an emerging hit, and Forza Motorsport 4 will support the Kinect and still be an orders-of-magnitude deeper game than any Gran Turismo "game" will ever be, just as Forza 3 was.

The group of gamers that the Kinect targets (as well as the Wii) has a fundamentally different opinion of what games should be than you or I do, and as such the Kinect games target what they want. It's not a shameless tack-on like any game implementing Move controls ever. That Sony continues to target their main base of gamers with the Move's advertising, rather than reach out to the all-popular casual gamer, is confusing to me. I don't buy that all Sony's first-party Move-compatible games are appreciably better with the Move, when in fact every opinion I trust about the quality of games has turned off both Move and 3D TV support almost immediately after trying it out.

Frankly, I think motion control gaming in the vain of the Wii, the Kinect, and the Move is, as far as you and I are concerned with regard to gaming, a dead end. It's not shocking to me that Nintendo is already moving away from the gimmick with both their new releases such as Kirby's Epik Yarn (I know that's misspelled, OS has a stupid word filter on the correct spelling) and also their newest console developments.

For the record, I have thrown exactly one frame of bowling on the Kinect before losing interest personally and I have also played and been pretty disappointed by several games on the Wii; I don't see how the Move is fundamentally any different from the Wii's control gimmick, and neither interest me. I'm solely an XBOX360 owner because it allows me a function that the PS3 does not, that being full-fledged independent games development support.

Last edited by CM Hooe; 04-25-2011 at 02:53 AM.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:05 PM   #24

OVR: 34

If Nintendo is making the babysitter, what was the PS2? That original PS and PS2 burped a lot of babies.

His comments show very little leadership, and the "we're hitting our stride" comments just aren't true. Nothing the PS3 has done, is doing and will do shows us it's just not going to be a big performer for Sony this generation. The PS3 simply did not boom like its predecessor, and it's almost like Sony wants to blame the Wii for that. The Wii did what Nintendo wanted it to do, sell.

What exactly can Sony do next to make it competitive in this generation? Home, Move even BluRay? It's just not working for them and its no ones fault but their own. They were the ones boasting that the PS3 will replace the home computer when the system was first released. Yes, well right now I'm typing this message from my laptop.

I have nothing against Sony, MS or Nintendo. I went with the 360 because of their work with Xbox live. For Nintendo it was motion, for the Xbox it has been Xbox live. You really can't identify anything for Sony (other than BluRay, which is outside of gaming) that really makes the PS3 console a significant high performing competitor.

His comments remind me of a boxer that gets caught with a hard hook to the chin and then smiles to try and make everyone think he's ok. Sony isn't ok this generation. It just hasn't been a solid overall run for the PS3.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »