Home

PlayStation CEO Thinks Nintendo Makes "Babysitting Tools"

This is a discussion on PlayStation CEO Thinks Nintendo Makes "Babysitting Tools" within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-25-2011, 02:20 PM   #25
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53
Re: PlayStation CEO Thinks Nintendo Makes "Babysitting Tools"

Well all video game consoles are babysitting tools to one extent or another. I think the CEO complaining about all this is looking at the situation from the wrong point of view. Nintendo's successes have come from the philosophy of making games that appeal to a larger spectrum. Like it or not the PS3/X360 crowd is a lot different from the Wii/DS/what have you crowd for that very reason. Sony and MS are catering to the hardcore and they'll always be there in one capacity or another. Nintendo on the other hand has always been about making games and such that can be played by anyone from age 5 and up.

That's basically how we all got into gaming in the first place as Nintendo throughout its history has been about cultivating a base that will be there in droves even if the original buyers grow tired of what Nintendo offers and enters the world of Sony and MS. Nintendo will always have new buyers because of the children of each generation.

Now I think you can make the (valid) criticism that Nintendo has done this at the expense of prestige among the truly hardcore gamers out there and I think it's key that no matter how broad a fanbase Nintendo hopes to gain with their new console they're going to have to start offering games that will appeal to an older crowd and more mature games. It's a delicate balance but I think Nintendo can do it.

To simply say Nintendo only makes babysitting tools shows two things

1) Sony is not taking Nintendo seriously enough which is a grave error as Nintendo has been doing very well over the last few years. I don't think this guy would be saying this if the PS3 was generating sales and buzz the way their competitors have.

2) A lack of foresight in seeing that there are some things that Nintendo does that Sony and MS can learn from. Let's be honest here, both companies have geared themselves so much to the hardcore gamer that they squeeze out a potential source of revenue in very casual gamers or gamers who are younger/older than the demographic they target. If Sony and MS would make even a token attempt (which I think MS is trying to do with Kinnect) at capturing the general populace they would be looking at an even bigger prestige similar but nowhere near as strong as Nintendo had in the '80s when EVERYONE played a Nintendo product at LEAST once in their life. I mean, my mother played Nintendo games with me fer cryin' out loud! Can you imagine a housewife playing a PS3/X360 with their kids today?

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-26-2011, 10:28 AM   #26
MVP

ComfortablyLomb's Arena

OVR: 27

Sony has been making arrogant comments very loosely based on reality throughout this entire generation despite lagging behind both MS and Nintendo. Sony has also been trying to pretend it isn't lagging behind. I'm not sure why it's even news at this point. Anyway...

Does the Wii often target a younger, more casual gaming demographic than the PS3? Sure. Is it still a kick-*** system with different positives and negatives than the PS3? I think so but that's a little subjective! Should Sony be nervous that the Nintendo is going to try to position itself to cut into a more mature game market now that it has gained a huge following of young kids who are going to want a more mature system in a few years? I'm guessing it's on their mind.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:28 PM   #27
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComfortablyLomb
Sony has been making arrogant comments very loosely based on reality throughout this entire generation despite lagging behind both MS and Nintendo. Sony has also been trying to pretend it isn't lagging behind. I'm not sure why it's even news at this point. Anyway...

Does the Wii often target a younger, more casual gaming demographic than the PS3? Sure. Is it still a kick-*** system with different positives and negatives than the PS3? I think so but that's a little subjective! Should Sony be nervous that the Nintendo is going to try to position itself to cut into a more mature game market now that it has gained a huge following of young kids who are going to want a more mature system in a few years? I'm guessing it's on their mind.
Totally agree with you as far as the arrogance statements. Instead of focusing on their company they worry to much about what they can put out there to downplay thier competitions lead.
They've done it since the beginning. Vibration is "Last gen" we are moving on.... then they add vibration back when the end user basically had to complain.
Last gen they talk about the XBOX hdd and how it's a PC wannabe... This gen they add a HDD.
They used to have the *** to cash the checks they would write with their mouths.. they don't any longer. Now they just look like jealous ex boyfriends in a sense...

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
PSN: Skyboxeros
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
XBOX Skyboxer OS
Old 04-26-2011, 05:16 PM   #28
Animal Liberation

EnigmaNemesis's Arena

I am sure they worry about what they do as well, and not just say things that all companies do for the competition.

They admitted that they used the wrong PR to the vibration not being there. It wasn't there because of a licensing issue and that was admitted... not a design issue.

And the Xbox was basically a "poor mans PC" when they mentioned it, because of the off the shelf parts. Not because of the HDD, because Sony even had an HDD for a few games with the PS2 and it had an HDD slot from the beginning in it. I personally do not recall them saying that about the Xbox, but who knows with the internet.

All companies are arrogant, just Sony gets the headlines because they were a top dog. Nintendo got the same headlines years ago after the SNES, and MSFT will soon be getting these headlines, and have done so already in other avenues.

I don't read too much into what a company says anyhow. Just as much as one guy for a sports team or whatever have doesn't speak for everyone. Just buy games, and enjoy them. Save the drama for the reality show hunters.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:48 PM   #29
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

I don't know EG. Sony's always been known to spout off regularly about the competition. Yes it wasn't a 'big deal' when they were the top dog, but now it makes then look stupid when they do it. Yes all companies try to downplay the competition but Sony just doesn't know when to shut up and mind thier own back yard. Especially when they turn right around and do what earlier they deemed not important just because the competition made it work.
It is what it is and I like both systems but there's no denying Sony brash attitude doesn't fit the reality this gen.
I also don't really care about what they say as long as they bring the games

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
PSN: Skyboxeros
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
XBOX Skyboxer OS

Last edited by Skyboxer; 04-26-2011 at 05:51 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »