Home

PlayStation CEO Thinks Nintendo Makes "Babysitting Tools"

This is a discussion on PlayStation CEO Thinks Nintendo Makes "Babysitting Tools" within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-08-2011, 11:09 PM   #1
MVP

Tiko7523's Arena

OVR: 14
PlayStation CEO Thinks Nintendo Makes "Babysitting Tools"

Quote:
CNN Money recently sat down with Sony PlayStation CEO Jack Tretton to discuss the success of Sony's PlayStation 3, its struggles with pricing, and being in third place behind the Xbox 360 and Nintendo Wii. It would seem the console wars are very much alive, not only with heated fanboy debates but with the guys at the very top of the organizations as Tretton talked some trash about his competitors' consoles.

"They're (Xbox 360 and Wii) starting to run out of steam now in terms of continuing to be relevant in 2011 and beyond," Tretton told CNN Money. "I mean, you've gotta be kidding me. Why would I buy a gaming system without a hard drive in it? How does this thing scale? Motion gaming is cute, but if I can only wave my arms six inches, how does this really feel like I'm doing true accurate motion gaming?"

This is an odd statement since Sony PlayStation launched their own motion gaming controls with the PlayStation Move last year. As far as technology, Tretton repeated his mantra that the PlayStation "just hitting its stride." Sony has, indeed, been closing the gap with Microsoft's Xbox 360, though it's still only sold less than half the number of Wiis Nintendo has moved.

Speaking of Nintendo, Tretton had some very choice words when speaking about the Nintendo DS, the portable console that has always dominated Sony's PSP.

"Our view of the 'Game Boy experience' is that it's a great babysitting tool, something young kids do on airplanes, but no self-respecting twenty-something is going to be sitting on an airplane with one of those," he says. "He's too old for that."

What do you think? Is Tretton stepping over the line or does he have the facts and the sales to back up his bold claims? Is there such a thing as too old to play the Nintendo DS?

Source: CNN Money
http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2011/04/...ting-tools’/

shots fired

PSN gamertag Tiko7523
Xbox Live Tag: Tiko7523
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-08-2011, 11:13 PM   #2
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55
Re: PlayStation CEO Thinks Nintendo Makes "Babysitting Tools"

Well I definitely think Wii is a piggybacking system for mature audiences. I'll have to find the thread again, but there was one on what systems we owned. There was not a single individual on that poll who owned a Wii but didn't own a 360/PS3. The system may hold value, but for most people it's not enough.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 04-08-2011, 11:28 PM   #3
All Star

DickDalewood's Arena

OVR: 36

I love my Sony products, but I see tons of people in their twenties, and beyond, with a Nintendo handheld.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:36 PM   #4
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49

Pretty much the same argument that has been said for the past 20 years about Nintendo products, that it is kiddie. In reality, videogame systems as a whole has always been a babysitting tool.
Old 04-09-2011, 12:14 AM   #5
Everyday is Faceurary!

dickey1331's Arena

OVR: 31
I can see why the 3DS is for kids and the PSP is not.

Do you really care where I sent this from?
NFL: Dallas Cowboys
NHL: Dallas Stars
NBA: Dallas Mavericks

I own a band check it out
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-09-2011, 04:39 PM   #6
All Star

bkfount's Arena

OVR: 21

Sony being Sony. I wonder how many people will laugh at their NGP pricing.

Nintendo isn't kiddie, they just never moved away from making true mass market games for everyone. Mario appeals to many types of people and ages, but I suppose is kiddie in comparison to all of the gritty dark space shooters out.
Old 04-09-2011, 04:43 PM   #7
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49

Nintendo has been called kiddie ever since the Sega Genesis & Nintendo wars of the 80s and 1st half of the 90s. Replace Sega with Sony and you still have the same ad wars going on.

Same crap different decade.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:50 PM   #8
Greatness Has Arrived

Burns11's Arena

OVR: 16

I was 12-13-14 back then, I'm not now and have little interest in Nintendo games anymore. Every Nintendo device purchase since then, N64, GBC, GBA, DS, Wii, I have regretted every single one.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »