Home

Summer Storms: The NCAA Release Story

This is a discussion on Summer Storms: The NCAA Release Story within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-24-2008, 06:20 PM   #17
BOOM!

AuburnAlumni's Arena

OVR: 43
Re: Summer Storms: The NCAA Release Story

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabin
Im so sick of hearing "despite the problems NCAA 09 is still a lot of fun".

The game is still fun because the majority of us are huge CFB fans and its pretty hard not to have some fun with the game when you can play with your favorite team.

Is this game a total disaster? No, but stop shoving "this game is a lot of fun" down our throats when people that enjoy the defensive side of the game are pulling their hair out because of the unrealistic QB & OL play.
I agree. I'm sick of folks acting like we are "whiners" or don't know what we are talking about.

"The game is FUN, quit complaining."

Well guess what?

Not being able to play sound defense IS NOT FUN for me.

Having CPU controlled teammates take horrid angles, never get off a block, and do that STUPID "greased pig" animation anytime a player makes a juke move, stumbling around like the 3 stooges....That is not fun for me.

It's not fun for Bill Harris. It's not fun for Bill Abner. It's not fun for Rhombic. It's not fun for LBzrule.

It's frustrating, it's annoying, and it's damn near infuriating, especially considering the game played so well in NCAA 08 on defense.

"Then why do you keep playing it?"

Because I love College Football. Because I have no alternative. Because I WANT THEM TO FIX IT. How do games get better? Folks suggest improvements and they are made.

Unfortunately, for many on here, anyone who think the game is broken in certain AI departments are just "whiners, complainers" and "don't know how to play the game."

Like I said, look who is being the most vocal and unforgiving.

It's not the "9 post wonders".

It's well estabilished, 30+ year old grown men who love this game and this sport and want it to be the best it can be.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:22 PM   #18
MVP

ASB37's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAlumni
Every bit of negativity has been warranted in my opinion.

Why? Well, regardless of what you think about the actual gameplay, Almost every major feature upon release was flat out broken.

1. Editing Rosters made your game freeze. Can't do that.
2. Stadium Sounds were causing issues for folks. Can't do that.
3. Online Dynasty was disappearing, being hijacked, etc. Can't do that.

That covers every major "new feature" in the game.

Gameplay is an opinion. But in all honesty, the folks that are really tearing NCAA a new one in the AI department are not "9 post wonders". These aren't 12 year old Timmy.

Bill Abner, Bill Harris, Rhombic, etc. These are ESTABLISHED WELL RESPECTED COMMUNITY MEMBERS . And it's not like they think the game "is a bit easy on offense", etc. These folks, like myself, are saying there are MAJOR issues.

Again, it's everyone's individual tastes on gameplay, etc. But there is a very vocal..and IMO...very KNOWLEDGEABLE section of the NCAA community that is highly disappointed with what this game looks like right now . I agree, obviously, with Rhombic and Co. and I think that...pre patch..this game is an arcadish score-fest with horrendous Defensive AI.

Could Defensive AI be adjusted? Could the ridiculous speed cheat for offenses be toned down? Could a Defensive line actually play to their abilities instead of getting pancaked and stonewalled by All Pro Offensive lines at Akron and Ball State?

Sure they could. Will they? Who knows.

But it would be very reasonable to suggest that this launch has been one of the messiest, bug filled, AI deficient in memory.

Just my .02.
Completely agree AA....i don't care how many articles come out that say a few members are having fun....great that's really good for them....this doesn't change the fact that this game has extreme issues all around. It really blows that this is the first year i have been absolutely disgusted with NCAA's offering. I might have been unhappy in years past with too many dropped passes or something like that but this game is broke on so many levels it is just wearing me down. I got through 2 seasons of dynasty and never once did i feel like this game has been playing up to par. I will never ever buy another EA game before or around release. I have learned my lesson finally after a decade of EA bs. So i guess in that regard NCAA was a success.

"You play to win the game."
Old 07-24-2008, 06:22 PM   #19
It is now the SW Era

muggins's Arena

OVR: 25

Honestly, this looks like something PastaPadre and the EA sports defense force would write.

BAD BOYS BAD BOYS
Old 07-24-2008, 06:27 PM   #20
Rookie

GoVols1985's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAlumni
I agree. I'm sick of folks acting like we are "whiners" or don't know what we are talking about.

"The game is FUN, quit complaining."

Well guess what?

Not being able to play sound defense IS NOT FUN for me.

Having CPU controlled teammates take horrid angles, never get off a block, and do that STUPID "greased pig" animation anytime a player makes a juke move, stumbling around like the 3 stooges....That is not fun for me.

It's not fun for Bill Harris. It's not fun for Bill Abner. It's not fun for Rhombic. It's not fun for LBzrule.

It's frustrating, it's annoying, and it's damn near infuriating, especially considering the game played so well in NCAA 08 on defense.

"Then why do you keep playing it?"

Because I love College Football. Because I have no alternative. Because I WANT THEM TO FIX IT. How do games get better? Folks suggest improvements and they are made.

Unfortunately, for many on here, anyone who think the game is broken in certain AI departments are just "whiners, complainers" and "don't know how to play the game."

Like I said, look who is being the most vocal and unforgiving.

It's not the "9 post wonders".

It's well estabilished, 30+ year old grown men who love this game and this sport and want it to be the best it can be.
And I'm sick of people saying to me "if you enjoy this game, you don't know anything about real football." God forbid I can enjoy something without it being perfect in every respect. (not directed at you personally, but what you said gave me a good opportunity to get my point across).
Old 07-24-2008, 06:27 PM   #21
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40

So you're mad more about the general coverage around the Web and OS rather than just this article?

I'm just trying to figure this all out because I'm trying to get back in the loop as it relates to this NCAA release. The only other thing I've posted was in the glitches thread, since I was curious how this one writer who I generally respect wrote about NCAA's issues, and if it was a main thing affecting the experience many of you were having.

I'm all about having an open dialogue about this since the staff/writers is broken up somewhat to cover the various games. I don't tend to cover the sim football games for example (minus events like E3 where I was the only one there) but I still like to try and follow almost every game to at least have knowledge of all series.

Last edited by ChaseB; 07-24-2008 at 06:32 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-24-2008, 06:32 PM   #22
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB
During editing should I have switched care out for like? Would that have cleared it up more? Otherwise I once again have to plead ignorance because he's talking about pre-release, and in the article doesn't really say everything is rosy now etc.
With all due respect, why would you write about "the release story" if you don't have a clear picture of the all the events that have played out over the last couple of weeks?

Your article is making it sound like this year is the "same ole". It isn't the "same ole'". This game has several key broken elements, and community members are speaking up in frustration with it, and our comments are being filtered and downplayed because an EA developer is here. Your article further perpetuates the frustration.

Last edited by PlyrzNumber1; 07-24-2008 at 06:35 PM.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:33 PM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoVols1985
And I'm sick of people saying to me "if you enjoy this game, you don't know anything about real football." God forbid I can enjoy something without it being perfect in every respect. (not directed at you personally, but what you said gave me a good opportunity to get my point across).
Problem is to bring in this wide open gameplay the defence basically had their balls chopped off.

The people that dislike the game cant convince people that enjoy the game to hate it, but anyone that wants a realistic defensive game has NO chance that right now. Sure you can have the odd defensive game, but eventually the CPU QB is going to go off on you and their is no way to counter it realistically.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:34 PM   #24
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlyrzNumber1
With all due respect, why would you write about "the release story" if you don't have a clear picture of the all the events that have played out over the last couple of weeks?

Your article is making it sound like business as usual. It isn't business as usual. This game has several key broken elements, and community members are speaking up in frustration with it, and our comments are being filtered and downplayed because an EA developer is here. Your article further perpetuates the frustration.
I didn't write it, just edited it for grammar and all that. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

If you feel you guys are being misrepresented by the writers that's totally alright to say though, that's why I'm talking with you guys right now -- I'm trying to find out what's up.

The article is more about business as usual in a sense just because he's speaking in a general sense at the beginning about how football releases tend to go every year. Since I've been apart of a few of these releases when I was more into football I do tend to agree with how the release window breaks down.

Last edited by ChaseB; 07-24-2008 at 06:38 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »