Home

EA Locker Rumor

This is a discussion on EA Locker Rumor within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-02-2010, 02:58 PM   #41
MVP

prowler's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: EA Locker Rumor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
They don't receive any payment of sort? Wow, so it's free for anyone to just go to any college now? I didn't know that. And here I was laboring under the impression it cost thousands of dollars to go to some of the best schools in the country. Silly me!!
I made that same argument and was informed the issue (at least with Keller) is not the scholarship and subsequent free education but if the NCAA has the right to market a players likeness and not pay them.

As for EA Locker, I agree it's not going anywhere and I also agree at worst EA would have to completely randomize rosters (and that's a long shot). What it all boils down to is a slow news day for NCAA11 info so threads like this are bound to pop up.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-02-2010, 03:06 PM   #42
Rookie

OVR: 4

Make these college kids sign a waiver to allow their likeness. For the players that don't sign just give them s random number and height and leave it at that.

I'm so tired of this argument that EA is profiting off these kids when their respective universities are profiting 1000X more than EA. These kids are getting a free education, spending allowances, room and board, books, private tutors, as wel as notoriety.
Old 06-02-2010, 03:21 PM   #43
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

prowler - but that is the point, the scholarship and other perks are compensation. Compensation is a form of payment. It may not be cold, hard cash in hand but then services are rendered every day in the world for other services. That's effectively what's happening here. The universities are providing their teachers and classrooms free of charge to the student-athletes who will in turn make money from their degree and the student-athletes are providing their skills on the field free of charge for the university who will in turn make money on the use of their likeness.
Old 06-02-2010, 03:27 PM   #44
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

And one more thing, everyone tends to think of the Tim Tebows and Troy Smiths of the world in regards to how it's "unfair" to the student-athlete that the university is "only" giving them a tuition which amounts to less than those players would make if they were playing professional football....but what people forget is that those players are the rarity.

How about all of the backups that never even play a down in college football? Are they ripping off the university? They're getting the full scholarship and related perks but they aren't even on the field on Saturdays.

Or better yet, how about the student-athletes who are on full scholarship who play sports that don't even break even? How about all the female swimmers who swim on full scholarship when hardly anyone comes to the swim matches? Or how about the small school lacrosse team backup player?

People should realize that the scholarships thing may appear a bit skewed in regards to football because it's the most popular sport and there are huge stars but the universities have this program set up all across the board for both men and woman covering multiple sports. And not all schools even have successful football programs either.

Think about that next time you hear the argument of "Tim Tebow should have gotten paid when he was at UF"....does that mean the backup QB at Duke should be playing for free? Or for the way Duke football is, perhaps the players there should be paying the university??
Old 06-02-2010, 03:32 PM   #45
Banned

OVR: 0

I cant link or I would (less than 5 posts) but anyone that really cares about this

Google "METRO-GOLDWYN-MAYER STUDIOS INC. V.GROKSTER, LTD. (04-480) 545 U.S. 913 (2005)"

Read the 1st result.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-02-2010, 03:38 PM   #46
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8artist
Why make a thread about a rumor????
Hi, welcome to the internet.

LOL that statement just makes me laugh when it comes to the internet.
http://twitter.com/AndyWestond < Its amazing how boring I am..
Old 06-02-2010, 04:00 PM   #47
Rookie

Cubs017's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
And one more thing, everyone tends to think of the Tim Tebows and Troy Smiths of the world in regards to how it's "unfair" to the student-athlete that the university is "only" giving them a tuition which amounts to less than those players would make if they were playing professional football....but what people forget is that those players are the rarity.

How about all of the backups that never even play a down in college football? Are they ripping off the university? They're getting the full scholarship and related perks but they aren't even on the field on Saturdays.

Or better yet, how about the student-athletes who are on full scholarship who play sports that don't even break even? How about all the female swimmers who swim on full scholarship when hardly anyone comes to the swim matches? Or how about the small school lacrosse team backup player?

People should realize that the scholarships thing may appear a bit skewed in regards to football because it's the most popular sport and there are huge stars but the universities have this program set up all across the board for both men and woman covering multiple sports. And not all schools even have successful football programs either.

Think about that next time you hear the argument of "Tim Tebow should have gotten paid when he was at UF"....does that mean the backup QB at Duke should be playing for free? Or for the way Duke football is, perhaps the players there should be paying the university??
That's a good way to put it. Even guys who just show up to practice are getting what probably amounts to $25,000+ in free stuff (room, board, tuition, etc.) every single year. And it's not like they're being forced to do it...
Old 06-02-2010, 04:05 PM   #48
MVP

prowler's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:

Also consider the networking opportunities afforded to student athletes. That backup QB and the girl on the swim team are not only going to school for free, but if they have even the slightest bit of ambition they can take advantage of all the access they have to alumni while they're still a big deal athlete on campus.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »