Home

FIFA has made me interested in soccer

This is a discussion on FIFA has made me interested in soccer within the EA Sports FIFA Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-20-2010, 11:00 AM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: FIFA has made me interested in soccer

Quote:
Originally Posted by osubeavs721
now im trolling soccernet on espn. (i want to find a better site for the EPL) but man i love this game and the sport now.
Here is another site worth looking at http://www.skysports.com/football/
Old 01-20-2010, 04:48 PM   #10
Banned

osubeavs721's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwilliams33
Here is another site worth looking at http://www.skysports.com/football/
nice thanks man. now i just need to watch a ton of games to figure who the good players are lol.
Old 01-20-2010, 05:36 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 3

I am also in the boat, my interest sparked when The Union were added to the MLS, and my own friend said this game is legit. I have had it for a week, and like what I see. I went with Roma(I love Rome) for my MM, but I dont know too much about the players and leagues, but I am very willing to find out. I was first struck with the World Cup in 06 and looking forward to this year.
UFC

Playing; NHL 13, MLB 2k13, WWE13, DMC, Tomb Raider
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-20-2010, 05:52 PM   #12
Banned

osubeavs721's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgameronny
I am also in the boat, my interest sparked when The Union were added to the MLS, and my own friend said this game is legit. I have had it for a week, and like what I see. I went with Roma(I love Rome) for my MM, but I dont know too much about the players and leagues, but I am very willing to find out. I was first struck with the World Cup in 06 and looking forward to this year.
i saw that Philly took some guy #1 overall from Oregon State! I will keep my tabs on him, though i dont know how good he is. I image pretty good if he went #1. But yeah the world cup cant get here soon enough
Old 01-21-2010, 03:18 PM   #13
Rookie

dmm0816's Arena

OVR: 8

im like everybody else in here never really got into soccer until the last world cup and to add to it my fiance is portugese so whenever i go to her familys there always watching porto or benfica lol...not really sure about a fav. team yet though.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:50 AM   #14
MVP

StormJH1's Arena

OVR: 13

I'm not embarassed at all to say that playing FIFA (first played FIFA 95, but really started getting into it around FIFA 2004) has made me into a soccer fan. I think there are two problems for American fans trying to get into the sport though.

The first is that there's no real social "community" for the average person to talk about the sport and enjoy it with their friends. If you're a huge football, hockey, baseball, etc. fan, you probably relate that to a communal love for a home team, or you can think of at least one family member or friend who shares that interest with you. I had a European roommate during college who knew about the sport and was happy to answer questions about it...having a "gateway" like that is a big help.

The second problem is that the sport is just so BIG to comprehend. You can be a fan of the NFL, memorize the names of 32 quarterbacks and you're pretty much set. Well, soccer is a worldwide sport. The "free agent market" (transfer window) doesn't belong a single league, but rather to dozens of FIFA leagues around the world. It's virtually impossible to familiarize yourself with all the great players and teams. So concepts like relegation, cup matches, Champions league, the Euro tournament and the World Cup can be pretty hard to grasp.
Old 01-22-2010, 03:10 PM   #15
Banned

osubeavs721's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormJH1
I'm not embarassed at all to say that playing FIFA (first played FIFA 95, but really started getting into it around FIFA 2004) has made me into a soccer fan. I think there are two problems for American fans trying to get into the sport though.

The first is that there's no real social "community" for the average person to talk about the sport and enjoy it with their friends. If you're a huge football, hockey, baseball, etc. fan, you probably relate that to a communal love for a home team, or you can think of at least one family member or friend who shares that interest with you. I had a European roommate during college who knew about the sport and was happy to answer questions about it...having a "gateway" like that is a big help.

The second problem is that the sport is just so BIG to comprehend. You can be a fan of the NFL, memorize the names of 32 quarterbacks and you're pretty much set. Well, soccer is a worldwide sport. The "free agent market" (transfer window) doesn't belong a single league, but rather to dozens of FIFA leagues around the world. It's virtually impossible to familiarize yourself with all the great players and teams. So concepts like relegation, cup matches, Champions league, the Euro tournament and the World Cup can be pretty hard to grasp.
those are the two problems i am having!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-22-2010, 06:39 PM   #16
Rookie

Slinky O's Arena

OVR: 2

Yeah, I really got into soccer this year in college. My RA is a huge soccer fan, he studied abroad in Scotland and is a big Rangers and Chelsea fan and he really got me hooked into the sport, in fact I'm going to the Fire opener as a result this year. Personally I'm a Manchester City fan because the first game of soccer I caught was Man City v Blackburn Rovers where Carlos Tevez had a hat trick and really suckered me into the game. I actually have a lot of German heritage so I'm trying to figure out where my roots would go as far as a Bundesliga team, but for now it's Man City.
Whoever you may be
'Cos we are the famous CFC

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen »