Home

FIFA 14 Impressions

This is a discussion on FIFA 14 Impressions within the EA Sports FIFA Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-14-2013, 05:41 PM   #417
MVP

drunkenferret's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: FIFA 14 Impressions

I know it's been discussed before, but in a close match it drives me crazy how the CPU never gets called for pulling on a player that is through on goal. Happened twice vs. Watford for me, and then once in the penalty box a defender knocked my guy down when on the ball...EA needs to really address this on the Next Gen...I'm willing to give a pass for now, but how do we get laser precision offsides, but can't get penalty calls right...ridiculous.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:53 PM   #418
MVP

BL8001's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonira
haha. you still playing it, you masochist!?
Haha yes and your typed words still ring true. Haven't grabbed the knife yet but so close.

I actually beat the FUT WC cheating CPU the last two games. I should take video of how fast the CPU runs this triangle offense down the wings either side of the pitch while my players trot around with cement boots. Every tackle of mine they dodge at the last possible second, every shot of mine they block flinging their CPU body parts in front of the kick with calculated abandon the likes my defenders have no clue about. The parting of the sea my defense does on all free kicks and corners allowing the CPU free looks at goal.

2 things help. A great GK and mashing the b and a button if you get near the QuickSilver CPU players.

Basically the only way to win is to bully them and have a wall in goal.

So much for the beautiful game...
Old 10-14-2013, 10:06 PM   #419
MVP

BL8001's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkenferret
I know it's been discussed before, but in a close match it drives me crazy how the CPU never gets called for pulling on a player that is through on goal. Happened twice vs. Watford for me, and then once in the penalty box a defender knocked my guy down when on the ball...EA needs to really address this on the Next Gen...I'm willing to give a pass for now, but how do we get laser precision offsides, but can't get penalty calls right...ridiculous.
And how wonderful would it feel to get pulled down and win the PK? I know I would dig it so much. It would be real.

This is what fifa 14 is to me. It's a c@ck tease.

So many times a millisecond before I execute something splendid, a delicate 6 yard lofted through ball, a beautiful flick turn, a great cross met with a side volley, a precise one two pass followed by a perfectly struck one timer, a wonderful side swapping ball, any soccer/football replication that is jaw dropping...the CPU sticks a boot, toe, shoulder, arm, head, chest, thigh, etc in the way and denies it.

Meanwhile the CPU is doing bicycle clearances by the bushel.

That is what fifa is to me. Glorious setups that lead to a wet blanket.

Sliders fix this yes. I am just saying whenever you chase this dragon on default modes it would rather tear out your heart and stomp on it than allow you even the briefest second of glory.

If you play this game on default semi pro you can create some amazing goal scoring simulations. But the CPU puts up no fight.

There just is no balance between you owning the CPU or the CPU owning you in default fifa gameplay.

Outside of these modes where I can use sliders you can have a very nice game that plays out fairly for both sides. I recommend Matt10's sliders.
Old 10-15-2013, 05:29 AM   #420
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BL8001
Had a situation last night in a game that made me wish I had a video capture program so I could post it for you to see. Playing Man United, I sent a cross from the right side even though none of my teammates were there. De Gea rushes out to intercept... and bicycle kicks it up the pitch to a teammate.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:45 AM   #421
MVP

BL8001's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeats
Had a situation last night in a game that made me wish I had a video capture program so I could post it for you to see. Playing Man United, I sent a cross from the right side even though none of my teammates were there. De Gea rushes out to intercept... and bicycle kicks it up the pitch to a teammate.

This has to be an EA mistake. The bicycle clearances. It must be that they were testing something and left it on?????

This wasn't in previous FIFA's.

If this was Madden it would be like all defensive players have spectacular catch at 100. You would try to throw a little 8 yard post in and the LB would fly in sideways superman style and pick it off with 1 hand. After Madden players saw that happen more than once there would be outrage.

And a patch.

My simple solution for fixing FIFA? and this can be done in patch. Tone down the over the top CPU nonsense and give the user a little more room to breathe on the pitch.

Again this is in regards to default gameplay. But some of the animations (bicycle clearances, that type of dribbling only the cpu can do) exist even with slider changes.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-15-2013, 11:04 AM   #422
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
This has to be an EA mistake. The bicycle clearances. It must be that they were testing something and left it on?????

This wasn't in previous FIFA's.
No it wasn't, and they no doubt tried to add more CPU tricks but just overdid the recoding. PES 2011 had the same issue, everyone was up in arms about that I remember. Funny thing for me is FIFA never seems to attract the same scrutiny for similar faults, either from reviewers or gamers. It's the same odd double standard 2K faced with their baseball game vs The Show.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:56 AM   #423
MVP

BL8001's Arena

In terms of EA fixing these issues...

What happened to the Tuner Updates? I remember an NHL version, 12? I think? That had tuner updates almost once a week.

And I remember Ian when he was with the Madden team saying Tuners were the future because it cost EA nothing to push out a tuner update as opposed to a full blown patch that costs after the first free one (I think that is how it works) plus the patch has to pass through Sony/MS certification.

I think the Tuner Update idea is fantastic. But what happened to them?

Because my next thought is, if a tuner was passed to the console and you could move it to a usb...hello world
Old 10-15-2013, 01:21 PM   #424
Rookie

Gnemi's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
And how wonderful would it feel to get pulled down and win the PK? I know I would dig it so much. It would be real.

This is what fifa 14 is to me. It's a c@ck tease.

So many times a millisecond before I execute something splendid, a delicate 6 yard lofted through ball, a beautiful flick turn, a great cross met with a side volley, a precise one two pass followed by a perfectly struck one timer, a wonderful side swapping ball, any soccer/football replication that is jaw dropping...the CPU sticks a boot, toe, shoulder, arm, head, chest, thigh, etc in the way and denies it.

That is what fifa is to me. Glorious setups that lead to a wet blanket.

Sliders fix this yes. I am just saying whenever you chase this dragon on default modes it would rather tear out your heart and stomp on it than allow you even the briefest second of glory.

If you play this game on default semi pro you can create some amazing goal scoring simulations. But the CPU puts up no fight.
I can't really disagree with you. The pullbacks are pretty egregious this year. I sometimes just let go of the controller to allow the CPU to fully mug me, but all that typically results in is a loss of possession. Last year, I could more often count on the foul it seems with pullbacks. Another area of frustration is the ref playing the advantage when there clear is none. That's gotta be a really difficult thing to program, but it's not great. Half of the missed fouls in the game are likely due to a ref stupidly playing a non-existent advantage.

In fact, I'm not sure an advantage is possible against Legendary AI! I could be clear on goal and the ninja keeper would block my shot.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen »