Home

FIFA 18 Nintendo Switch users

This is a discussion on FIFA 18 Nintendo Switch users within the EA Sports FIFA Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-07-2018, 06:40 AM   #33
Rookie

Switched_17's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: FIFA 18 Nintendo Switch users

I played Sporting KC vs NYCFC last night and ended up with 2-2 score last night, overall VERY HAPPY with these. I felt at times during the match it was a little harder than I thought but at the same time, I realized one, NYCFC is gotten a lot better and two, I realized I need to work on my formations and tactics, seems to be an area I struggle with.

I think tweaking anything now would take away from how good it is now.

But we will all have to keep playing and see what happens, I tried some adjustments of my own and quickly put them bavk because it took away from what I had via the sliders Bixer posted.
Old 03-07-2018, 07:10 AM   #34
Rookie

Yep, I'll be playing some more games later but I also think I'm finally on the verge of finding a set that I'm happy with. Line Height at 99 seems to be the way to go and despite that being an extreme, it allows you to keep everything else at or very near default which I think also makes a huge difference to everything working together as it should.

Toying with the idea of lowering Marking ever so slightly as I do still occasionally feel that my fullbacks stay unnecessarily narrow too often, which can then sometimes cause my wingers to drop back to cover their space and it ends up looking like you have something of a back 6 when you don't have the ball. Marking basically seems to affect how much a player will chase an opposition player until they stop and go back to their proper position. I don't think a big tweak will be needed, maybe only down to 47 or so, but then on the flipside if this starts causing too many wide open gaps in the defence for players to regularly exploit then I'll just leave it higher and accept marking in general as something that we'll never be able to perfect.
Old 03-07-2018, 07:23 AM   #35
Rookie

eagletal88's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bixer
Yep, I'll be playing some more games later but I also think I'm finally on the verge of finding a set that I'm happy with. Line Height at 99 seems to be the way to go and despite that being an extreme, it allows you to keep everything else at or very near default which I think also makes a huge difference to everything working together as it should.

Toying with the idea of lowering Marking ever so slightly as I do still occasionally feel that my fullbacks stay unnecessarily narrow too often, which can then sometimes cause my wingers to drop back to cover their space and it ends up looking like you have something of a back 6 when you don't have the ball. Marking basically seems to affect how much a player will chase an opposition player until they stop and go back to their proper position. I don't think a big tweak will be needed, maybe only down to 47 or so, but then on the flipside if this starts causing too many wide open gaps in the defence for players to regularly exploit then I'll just leave it higher and accept marking in general as something that we'll never be able to perfect.

That makes sense with the backs going too far forward. I have my FB positioning at 60 but I was annoyed to see my wingers essentially staying back and covering the gaps. I guess I will have to drop back down to 50.

Does man marking at all impact how aggressive the defender will go in for a tackle?? I know one of the faults of this engine is the lethargic defending at times... And I used to be able to fix that with Custom Team Tactics. But ever since I think Fifa 15 there was a glitch where if you adjusted a team tactic it would save to every team... Typical EA, 3 years and still no fix.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-07-2018, 01:24 PM   #36
Rookie

Switched_17's Arena

Bixer,

When marking was at 42, it was too easy, but at 50 it's not so much too hard as it feels like they are like instantly on you as far as when you cut up the wings, etc, it's harder to stump them. I like the challenge though and make it work. However, can't wait to test 47 marking setting. That may make the difference, love the challenge. It was a great game last night, frustrating a few times. I don't believe lowering it will hurt the difficulty and or make it too easy, I think it will allow for new creative plays.
Old 03-07-2018, 09:21 PM   #37
MVP

stlducks's Arena

OVR: 2

Does anyone else have the issue of players being offside often? Since switching to these sliders I'm seeing offside called 5-6 times a game per side. I like it, I'm just wondering what sliders affect this.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk
Old 03-07-2018, 10:45 PM   #38
Rookie

Switched_17's Arena

I've noticed it but it's not a bad thing for me.

Did have to turn the injury slider from 100-92 because all my players cramped almost instantly when starting to run!
Old 03-07-2018, 11:57 PM   #39
Rookie

eagletal88's Arena

OVR: 1

Sometimes I really love this game...

Had a cracking 1-1 games against Roma. Was down 1-0 late in the game and brought in Thomas Mueller. Robben draws a foul on outside of the box with some dazzling dribbling. Robben takes the free kick and finds Mueller for a sweet header. I tried for a late winner as Alaba found me(Ribery) on the back side wide open against the keeper but I kicked it right at the keeper...

I have Fifa 18 for the Xbox One but I honestly enjoy the Switch version more.

Keeping this on topic, a big reason I am enjoying the game so much if from the custom sliders that you guys have been working hard to achieve.
Old 03-08-2018, 03:54 AM   #40
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlducks
Does anyone else have the issue of players being offside often? Since switching to these sliders I'm seeing offside called 5-6 times a game per side. I like it, I'm just wondering what sliders affect this.
Yeah I was finding that too. In some ways it's good as it's more realistic to have more offsides in a game than you usually get in FIFA, but at the same time it's a bit annoying that the offsides aren't due to any particularly clever defending, it's due to your attackers just being stupid and not being aware of what's around them. It wasn't so much that only 1 player was offside, I was often finding 3 players in an offside position at a time which looked a bit off. It's definitely directly related to the Line Height Slider setting, so I figured I'd do a little bit of testing and just lower it 1 point at a time until the offsides subsided a little. Fortunately it looks like it's only taken until 97 for it to reduce from 6 or 7 offsides a game per team to more like 3 or 4, so I'm tempted to leave it there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switched_17
I've noticed it but it's not a bad thing for me.

Did have to turn the injury slider from 100-92 because all my players cramped almost instantly when starting to run!
Yep, I've experimented with that slider a lot, it's very sensitive between 99 and 100. At 100 there's literally an injury almost every 10 seconds, but then at 99 it seems to behave normally.

I was testing all sorts last night, I just set up a 20 minute per half game in kick-off mode so that I had plenty of time to tweak things here and there and see how they worked. I was initially testing lots of extremes to see the difference in ranges of each slider and just to better understand exactly what was increasing/decreasing with each one.

Firstly I actually tried lowering Pass Error back down to default to see if it made crosses more dangerous and both fortunately and unfortunately it does. Fortunately as with it at 50 I now actually feel more inclined to make crosses as I feel they'll actually reach their intended area, whereas unfortunately as of course this means slightly too perfect passing elsewhere. There might be a happy medium in between 50 and 57, or alternatively maybe increasing First Touch Control Error as a result is the happy medium, but I'll keep trying to see which works best.

I'm still playing around with Run Frequency and I'm tempted to increase it even moreso from 57. One thing I find I really don't like is after a corner of yours, if the CPU win the ball then the rest of the team will saunter up field and there's not really any danger of a counter attack. I want those CPU players absolutely busting a gut to take advantage of the extra space they've got. As it stands the two fullbacks you leave up the field are more than enough to completely stop the attack almost instantly. Maybe I'm being too picky and we'll just have to accept this is one of those things that FIFA can't get right, but for now I've got it at 59 and I'll see if that makes much difference over a few games. Run Frequency's a funny one as in some ways the game is perfectly playable with it at 99, but then again it's also perfectly playable with it at 1, so I'm still not even fully sure how it actually works.

Marking's also another headache for me. At the very least, I think lowering it a tiny bit to just 49 is acceptable as I agree with Switch_17, much lower and the CPU are just too easy to exploit, but then at 50 I find players are a bit too keen to press in numbers. I'm wondering if 50 is some kind of threshold, as admittedly I've only tried it in one game so far, but lowering it just to 49 seems to stop your defensive line running out of position quite as much.

I'm curious if we can do even better though. As I mentioned, this was one of the extremes I tried and in some ways I liked how the players reacted with it at 99. Defending seemed a lot more aggressive and there was a real sense that players wanted to win the ball back. In some ways it even improved positioning as as each player was marking someone so tightly, there wasn't any scope for anyone to be left caught out where they shouldn't be. Of course the flipside here is that if you look at the player HUD in the middle of the screen then it just looks ridiculous, but I'm curious if there's almost something of a second threshold when it comes to marking whereby once you get over a certain number again, players track their runner properly and once they've let someone go they don't just hang around wherever they were. This one definitely needs more testing, but I'll see what I can find! As I mentioned, worst case scenario I think 49 might just be acceptable for now.

Last edited by Bixer; 03-08-2018 at 03:57 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Sliders »