Home

NHL 16 Early News Tracker

This is a discussion on NHL 16 Early News Tracker within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-11-2015, 03:30 PM   #41
MVP

canucksss's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: NHL 16 Early News Tracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiggy33
I really wish Littman was the lead producer of this game still. I just remember back in 07-09 he would break down all of the new additions in the game. It wasn't always scripted videos with game journalists asking the same questions. SR is notorious for this and maybe that isn't his call but the higher ups at EA. Nonetheless this started happening when he became producer. Littman would show off new controls as well as the tuning they did to the AI by comparing versions side by side. They actually showed off the game and seemed proud to do it. The game just seemed like it was headed in such a great direction. Then SR was put as lead producer and it's gone downhill every year since it seems. They used to do so many things right with less technology and reaching out to the community, and now everything they do seems wrong and they have better technology. I would never ever want someone to lose their job, but I'm just saying I really think Littman had a great impact on this series. In fact I think the only reason this game isn't worse, is because of the base Littman started when was the lead producer. Sure it wasn't perfect but it was headed in the right direction when he left the NHL team to work on NBA Live and whatever else.

From what the game changers have said, it means very little at this point. Until SR and the rest of the team actually start releasing videos showing what they've done, I cannot believe any of the issues with the game have been fully addressed. This is especially the case when we all see the game a little bit differently. One person may think goalies are different, while in fact they may be, but they are still not properly fixed. This is just one example where changes have been made through the past 5 years, but those changes have never been done correctly. We all hope that things have changed but until we actually see evidence of it there's really no saying it has.
Littman did a great job bringing EA's NHL back to the market when he was at the helm. From 2007-09, he helped EA regain the lead over 2k in terms of NHL video game. My last 2k was 2k8, in 2007-08 that was the eyar I bought both products and in 09 made my complete shift to EA.

I will understand the move of EA of Littman from NHL to NBA, because Live was really being blasted out by 2K, IMO. Likewise, having NBA as a greater market over NHL, that was understandable move. The one I cant understand is why SR the man who replaced Littman. Basically, IMHO, SR destroyed EA NHL. I dont know if he's a "yes sir" to EA top-men or he does not completely understand what is Hockey in general. Again, IMHO, as long as SR is leading, I will not see much improvements, such those we are heavily clamoring for, will be implemented.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-11-2015, 03:41 PM   #42
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmilkman24
Being a eashl player we too know what the AI is like. Just because we play online doesn't mean we have no computers ever. In club it's very often to have a computer. I think AI effects eashl more than Gm mode and so on..
The EASHL AI players have overall ratings in the 60s. You can see these ratings by pausing the game and looking at the stats screen whenever a human player on your EASHL team quits out of a match and is replaced at his position by an AI player.

The NHL level AI players in the offline modes are mostly rated in the 80s.

So unless you believe that there's no difference between an 80 overall player and a 60 overall player in EA's hockey games (some people do believe that), then I wouldn't say that the EASHL AI and offline modes AI are an even comparison.

EASHL AI players -- ratings wise -- are the equivalent of a bad minor league player in EA's ratings system.

Last edited by jyoung; 05-11-2015 at 03:45 PM.
Old 05-11-2015, 11:40 PM   #43
Rookie

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoung
So unless you believe that there's no difference between an 80 overall player and a 60 overall player in EA's hockey games (some people do believe that), then I wouldn't say that the EASHL AI and offline modes AI are an even comparison.
There's no real difference imo, plus I don't think you can look at EASHL AI's ovr. When you have a winger with 90 SPD/ACC/AGI and you can't out skate a 60 ovr Dman that tells you something. Or when AI Dmen go for ridiculous checks with no momentum, checks you can only dream of even if you play with a Leg3 goon build. Or the way AI snipes goals so accurately that some people intentionally play with an AI winger.

Just my ,02$
Old 05-12-2015, 12:10 AM   #44
Canadian eh?

SinisterAlex's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiggy33
I really wish Littman was the lead producer of this game still. I just remember back in 07-09 he would break down all of the new additions in the game. It wasn't always scripted videos with game journalists asking the same questions. SR is notorious for this and maybe that isn't his call but the higher ups at EA. Nonetheless this started happening when he became producer. Littman would show off new controls as well as the tuning they did to the AI by comparing versions side by side. They actually showed off the game and seemed proud to do it. The game just seemed like it was headed in such a great direction. Then SR was put as lead producer and it's gone downhill every year since it seems. They used to do so many things right with less technology and reaching out to the community, and now everything they do seems wrong and they have better technology. I would never ever want someone to lose their job, but I'm just saying I really think Littman had a great impact on this series. In fact I think the only reason this game isn't worse, is because of the base Littman started when was the lead producer. Sure it wasn't perfect but it was headed in the right direction when he left the NHL team to work on NBA Live and whatever else.

From what the game changers have said, it means very little at this point. Until SR and the rest of the team actually start releasing videos showing what they've done, I cannot believe any of the issues with the game have been fully addressed. This is especially the case when we all see the game a little bit differently. One person may think goalies are different, while in fact they may be, but they are still not properly fixed. This is just one example where changes have been made through the past 5 years, but those changes have never been done correctly. We all hope that things have changed but until we actually see evidence of it there's really no saying it has.

Good times, good times indeed.

Old 05-12-2015, 05:04 PM   #45
MVP

canucksss's Arena

OVR: 13

Thanks for posting that video. I wonder what kind of management style does Littman and SR in general. I'll bet that Littman is far freaking better than SR, just look at the result.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-12-2015, 05:24 PM   #46
Banned

OVR: 0

So NHL 16 going to be more focused on EASHL and all online stuff?
Old 05-12-2015, 05:32 PM   #47
#AyJay

AdamJones113's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus10
So NHL 16 going to be more focused on EASHL and all online stuff?
I am almost sure of it. EASHL will make its grand, all-improved return, and EA's favourite game mode, HUT, will no doubt get plenty of attention. Offline GM mode may get a new face, but I'd say 99% NHL 16 will be focused on online.
Old 05-12-2015, 06:12 PM   #48
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJones113
I am almost sure of it. EASHL will make its grand, all-improved return, and EA's favourite game mode, HUT, will no doubt get plenty of attention. Offline GM mode may get a new face, but I'd say 99% NHL 16 will be focused on online.
Early indications from those with hands-on time seems to be that GM mode underwent some serious change.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »