Home

NHL 17 Impressions

This is a discussion on NHL 17 Impressions within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-13-2016, 08:58 PM   #233
Pro

Josam27o7's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: NHL 17 Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyDeicide
If someone doesnt touch sliders i can see how they feel its the same as 16 after these patches but before the patch totally different game .

You definitely need sliders now to get a good game, so online we are at EAs mercy. online is not much fun at the moment goalies are terrible and defense has a the glide back not as bad as 16 but no where near the beta.

Frustrates me. way to many changes and never a reason why.
Its like they cater to every gripe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drog1602
I totally agree. The patch ruined this game. It was so good right out of the box and then they go and ruin it. Offline I use ver 1.0. Online... Well...it's a lag fest and EA tuner...so...
Jimmy and Drog,

What are you guys seeing that the patch ruined? I am not seeing anything that was ruined. The sliders seem to work fine to tune the game.

Last edited by Josam27o7; 09-13-2016 at 09:00 PM.
Old 09-13-2016, 09:10 PM   #234
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josam27o7
Jimmy and Drog,

What are you guys seeing that the patch ruined? I am not seeing anything that was ruined. The sliders seem to work fine to tune the game.
The goalies are worse now, have much poorer positioning. I went from close 2-1 games to 9-7 type games, the only thing that changed was the patch. Also since the patch the game has crashed twice.
Old 09-13-2016, 09:12 PM   #235
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
MLB the show is, well, baseball -- which is a bore.
Blasphemer! Baseball rules!!!

Discovered that it doesn't appear to matter where the relocating team is situated in terms of prospective cities.
San Fransicso was more than happy to take the Sens. Seattle and San Diego declined though.
I haven't tried a different team yet, but I bet if it were the Hawks, Pens or Kings, every city would be clamoring to accommodate them.

I'm really noticing a lot of subtle player differences.
Trying to sneak around, or threading a pass thru top dmen is tough. Even with very good offensive players.
Tyler Johnson was a beast in that regard. It seemed he could pass around or thru a lot of the Wings dmen (I know, I know, my 3YO daughter probably could too).
But other guys like TJ Brown, Boyle or Callahan had to play a very simple game.
Meanwhile, Drouin was like a freakin' water bug on the ice. Despite being an offensive player like Stamkos, he and Stammer 'felt' different controlling. I couldn't wait to shoot with Stamkos while I loved skating and dishing with Drouin.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-13-2016, 09:37 PM   #236
Pro

JimmyDeicide's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Jimmy and Drog,

pardon me lol but werent you the one crying about the patch and how it ruined the game for you?
Im not saying im not enjoying it i did tweak sliders and find a good game .
Re read what i said .

The skating is glidier or has less friction now and the games went from tight checking gritty affairs to 6-5 shootouts .
Its hard to explain it but it just feels different and not as good.
All out of the box im saying without touching a slider default full sim.
Totally different feel from now to when i first played before patch.
Old 09-14-2016, 01:09 AM   #237
Member of Rush Nation

CujoMatty's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vmascarello
I personally have enjoyed the whole relocation process and think EA did a good job on it as a whole. The only thing they missed was realignment in the divisions. Which should come next year based on what they have said in some of the Q & A's Ive seen.

Once youre in your new city, there are no annoying differences between a regular NHL team and the team you create. The arena looks great and the announcers make it seem like its a pretty seemless transition. I was concerned that there wouldnt be enough nicknames or the play by play wouldnt say the new city or nickname. But its all very much on point.

It even highlighted in the broadcast that is was the 1st home game since relocation which was cool. The fans have signs stating things that have to do with having a new team in town and some authentic comments. I just hope those arent still there in like Year 4.

Theres enough variety and customization where I have to stop myself from wanting to go back through the whole process again. I moved the Blue Jackets to Hartford and re-created the Whalers, and you really feel like thats the Whalers of old if you customize it correctly.

I also think the colors are much more vibrant this year and make a big difference in the beauty of the game.

And I cant say enough about FINALLY having season goal totals displayed when a player scores in Franchise mode. A small thing in the grand scheme but absolutely enormous for immersion.
I agree I love the relocation feature but I have one gripe. There's really no way on testing out all the things you've made before you finalize and what looks good when you're making them doesn't necessarily look good in game. As far as I could find there's no real way of changing anything once you've committed which I do understand but kinda sucks. Uniforms I thought looked good didn't end up so well when actually in game so I restarted 3 times. Each time I've had to sim the first season which is slow.

What I finally figured out was it was a better idea to just create a team first then swap teams out when you create a franchise and there's no difference than doing it through the relocation feature.

Either way though it's a cool feature and I'm enjoying using it.
Old 09-14-2016, 03:19 AM   #238
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Remember I said I didn't have any powerplays in my first game? Well...then this happened. Same settings - Full Sim default, except for penalty time scaling to minimum.

Variety with the same settings. Sample size folks.
Old 09-14-2016, 08:18 AM   #239
MVP

jake19ny's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerg04
I've never felt like I've been on a roller coaster in regards to the way a game plays more than this game.

There's literally been 4 different versions of this game since (including) the beta.

-Beta
-EA Access release
-EA Access release + patch
-Day 1 patch

And each build has played differently. Beta was great, tons of tweaks, really separated itself for 16'. Then EA Access came, totally different game like they started from scratch. 1st patch brought back some of the tweaks and the game played good again. Day 1 patch, boom, changes out the window. Its like I'm playing 16' again with the exploits of 15'.

Disclosure, I'm 90% an online vs player, 10% EASHL, so if CPU play with sliders is good more power to you guys who strictly play offline, and I HOPE it is good! But online is back to the same glitchy mess it used to be.

I'm sorely disappointed. The AI is SO putrid its disgusting. Not only defensively, but offensively! I've never played an EA NHL game where my offensive AI skates either into the puck carrier or completely away from the logical spot. 17' it happens on a game by game basis. And when the AI just watches loose pucks....I can't describe the frustration.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Ah. I'm a strictly 90% offline gamer so that would explain a lot of the different things were seeing. That said though I still see a lot of posts by people saying the game is just like NHL 16 and a lot of posts saying it's totally different. I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder. I suspect as in past releases there will be several updates that make the game better for some and worse for others. EA added a bunch of things people asked for but wish they would have separate tuners for online and offline. I found last year when on liners complained about legit issues a tuner would come out and jack up offline play. Offliners would complain and get a tuner that jacked up online. I think it's impossible to perfectly tune the game for both types players in one single tuner because online is a totally different experience than offline.
Old 09-14-2016, 08:58 AM   #240
Pro

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedef407
For someone who hasn't played a NHL game in 5 or 6 years and is in his 30s, how is the learning curve?
I'd like to know too

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »