Home

How Could Presentation Be Improved In NHL 18

This is a discussion on How Could Presentation Be Improved In NHL 18 within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-14-2017, 08:13 PM   #41
MVP

scitychamps87's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: How Could Presentation Be Improved In NHL 18

I think for as much as the game has some realistic strong points in presentation, like the NBC overlays, playoff atmospheres, and certain stat banners, I do believe they are not using Doc Emrick to his full potential. Then again, the guy is probably hard to get in studio with a limited budget and his very limited time. I just want to hear his trademark excitement become more prominent. Doc is part of what makes hockey in America as awesome as it is.
--5 Time Stanley Cup Champions--
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-15-2017, 05:00 PM   #42
Rookie

BigBadAss33's Arena

OVR: 0
Wow!! great ideas everyone..

Commentary - yup needs improving that goes without saying

Franchise and BAP... these are great but are missing like everyone said the little things.

Here is what i would love to see added to franchise Mode. -

1. Better/More Injuries
2. If a guy gets hurt during a game and is out, how come I know when he is coming back when the game is over and then check the injury report and it says pending evaluation. Is my doctor an psychic?
3. BLOOD - Im Sorry, its time.. Guys get cut all the time - its part of the game
4. Home team last change choice
5. Players holding out
6. Trade Demands
7. Coach firing
8. SCOUTING - Why can I only scout FW? Shouldn't i be able to scout EVERYONE playing in the games i see??
9. Growth potential system needs work.
10. More input from coaches in minor leagues. (Hot player, suggestions on call ups)
11. Better CPU Trade Logic -
12. NHL Today style show (league highlights ect)

Im sure there is a few im forgetting but its a start

thanks
Old 03-16-2017, 02:33 PM   #43
MVP

actionhank's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadAss33
Wow!! great ideas everyone..

Commentary - yup needs improving that goes without saying

Franchise and BAP... these are great but are missing like everyone said the little things.

Here is what i would love to see added to franchise Mode. -

1. Better/More Injuries
2. If a guy gets hurt during a game and is out, how come I know when he is coming back when the game is over and then check the injury report and it says pending evaluation. Is my doctor an psychic?
3. BLOOD - Im Sorry, its time.. Guys get cut all the time - its part of the game
4. Home team last change choice
5. Players holding out
6. Trade Demands
7. Coach firing
8. SCOUTING - Why can I only scout FW? Shouldn't i be able to scout EVERYONE playing in the games i see??
9. Growth potential system needs work.
10. More input from coaches in minor leagues. (Hot player, suggestions on call ups)
11. Better CPU Trade Logic -
12. NHL Today style show (league highlights ect)

Im sure there is a few im forgetting but its a start

thanks
As far as blood in a sports game goes, I don't imagine you'll ever see it. If I remember right it causes them to have to change the rating on the game.

That said, I do like all of the other ideas. There's just no real excitement in the Franchise mode. There aren't any players demanding trades, there aren't rumors of guys hitting free agency, hell, you don't even know who is actually likely to hit free agency until they do, and even then you're pretty much stuck making one offer and seeing which team they pick after that. There's no negotiating.

There's so much that could be added to make the game fun. Right now the offseason is just a chore for me.
Old 03-16-2017, 03:13 PM   #44
All Star

MizzouRah's Arena

OVR: 16

I agree that franchise mode needs a major overhaul. The CPU AI is horrible at signing players that can make a difference. They will have 2 top starting goalies and many other issues signing players that make no sense because they have youth at that position who should be in the NHL instead of the AHL.

The offseason should be about stories.. like in RL where will Shattenkirk go? We need bidding and some sort of team summary report to see who went where, etc.
Old 03-16-2017, 05:03 PM   #45
MVP

actionhank's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
I agree that franchise mode needs a major overhaul. The CPU AI is horrible at signing players that can make a difference. They will have 2 top starting goalies and many other issues signing players that make no sense because they have youth at that position who should be in the NHL instead of the AHL.

The offseason should be about stories.. like in RL where will Shattenkirk go? We need bidding and some sort of team summary report to see who went where, etc.
Agreed. While I don't know the demands of creating the complex AI it would take to get GM's to act like GM's (Saying to themselves "I have X number of good Centers, I don't have any RW. I need to trade/sign RW"). That said, I'm not paid to.

The current state of things just makes dealing with other teams so frustrating. Teams don't deal from surplus, they don't try to move UFA's, they don't try to stockpile draft picks and prospects when they're terrible...they just all seem to do whatever random thing it is that they want.

It would really be nice to see teams moving out forwards for picks, being able to offer contract bonuses to help lure players to your team (which would require AI players that tried to get what they wanted, be it money, term, location, a cup, etc).

Another thing that I think would be great (this is getting off topic, sorry) is the ability to force trades between all teams. That way I can decide to stop the trades in game and make my own moves, or if the AI is shutting down a realistic trade, I can force it. It's my game, let me ruin it if I want to.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-16-2017, 09:38 PM   #46
All Star

MizzouRah's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionhank
Agreed. While I don't know the demands of creating the complex AI it would take to get GM's to act like GM's (Saying to themselves "I have X number of good Centers, I don't have any RW. I need to trade/sign RW"). That said, I'm not paid to.

The current state of things just makes dealing with other teams so frustrating. Teams don't deal from surplus, they don't try to move UFA's, they don't try to stockpile draft picks and prospects when they're terrible...they just all seem to do whatever random thing it is that they want.

It would really be nice to see teams moving out forwards for picks, being able to offer contract bonuses to help lure players to your team (which would require AI players that tried to get what they wanted, be it money, term, location, a cup, etc).

Another thing that I think would be great (this is getting off topic, sorry) is the ability to force trades between all teams. That way I can decide to stop the trades in game and make my own moves, or if the AI is shutting down a realistic trade, I can force it. It's my game, let me ruin it if I want to.
Maybe they need to implement team focus - could be "win now", "neutral" and "rebuild" or something like that for each team, that way when the AI evaluates its team and goes into a particular focus, it would then have a set of AI rules to follow per the focus for that particular season. Each season it should re-evaluate and change/if necessary. If they are out of the playoff picture, they should go into a "rebuild" mode and try to trade older players and high cost players and ask for prospects/draft picks. Likewise, if they are top of the league, they should be trying to acquire that last piece, teams with neutral would most likely stand pat, but could look for the right deal or sell if looking towards next season.

In the offseason, the AI should evaluate its roster and depending on the focus, react accordingly.

Franchise mode needs legs... I don't think the AI has had much work for long term sims.
Old 03-27-2017, 02:47 AM   #47
Rookie

robinson's Arena

OVR: 0

Get the jerseys to look authentic. Use the face thing and make it more realistic, even if its less video game looking.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:06 AM   #48
MVP

actionhank's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
Maybe they need to implement team focus - could be "win now", "neutral" and "rebuild" or something like that for each team, that way when the AI evaluates its team and goes into a particular focus, it would then have a set of AI rules to follow per the focus for that particular season. Each season it should re-evaluate and change/if necessary. If they are out of the playoff picture, they should go into a "rebuild" mode and try to trade older players and high cost players and ask for prospects/draft picks. Likewise, if they are top of the league, they should be trying to acquire that last piece, teams with neutral would most likely stand pat, but could look for the right deal or sell if looking towards next season.

In the offseason, the AI should evaluate its roster and depending on the focus, react accordingly.

Franchise mode needs legs... I don't think the AI has had much work for long term sims.
I thought they had added something similar, but it still doesn't seem like it affects how the AI deals and trades.

I think that could be huge. If teams valued a player differently based on their needs long-term. A team at the deadline pushing for a playoff spot may want your depth defender more than a team that's 30 points out. Similarly, a team stockpiling rookies and picks is going to be less likely to take that defender, and also less likely to send picks back the other way.

Another huge thing would be the AI learning to move players up and down depending on their trade. I've seen so many trades blocked because of "too many skaters". I'm sure you love that 7th defender...but I'm sending back Jaden Schwartz...maybe you send him down?

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »