Home

Five Features We Would Love to See in NHL 19

This is a discussion on Five Features We Would Love to See in NHL 19 within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-22-2017, 09:53 AM   #33
Rookie

lunch pale gang's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Five Features We Would Love to See in NHL 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake19ny
This is a good article but so much of what is listed in it and in posts are things we have wanted since the series was ported to next gen. Definitely things we've asked for since the game changers events inception. Yet year after year it's all ignored. I'm not holding my breath for anything because it's always "maybe next year".....hope I'm wrong and if I am here's my list and it's more than 5 but I put my top 5 in bold

1) Roster share
2) Commentary that actually follows what's going on during the season or at least accurately reflects the game your currently playing
3) More play by play names. This list has not changed in a decade
4) better goalie AI
5) better defensive AI
6) better breakout AI
7) 5 man celebration

8) line matching by CPU
9) proper timeout usage and goalie pull by CPU
10) make a big game feel like one...(commentary and presentation)

On a side note regarding AI, if they just addressed some legacy issues that we have complained about for YEARS that would go a long way to improving AI alone. (EXAMPLES: your CPU teammate abandoning a guy in front of the net, players flocking together, your AI teammates skating into you, wandering AI players, Goalies going down before the shot is taken, having a player who was knocked down still get up and maintain control of the puck over your still skating player.)
Great list. I agree with everyone's concern about overall gameplay, so I won't repeat them.

Form me, an offline player who plays 20 minute periods, #9 is crucial. I can never understand why EA hasn't figured out how to get the cpu to use its timeout.

Two things I would add:
1. Let the home team choose to shoot first or last in an overtime shootout. Its a pretty basic NHL rule thats been around for a while now. 2K had this option years ago.

2. Allow for players to be kicked out of the face-off circle for jumping too early. Again, 2K had this years ago. It would also be nice if a team received a delay of game penalty if two players in a row are thrown out of the circle.
Old 10-22-2017, 11:26 AM   #34
MVP

bad_philanthropy's Arena

OVR: 24

A lot of great suggestions in here. A lot of the stuff we've been asking for for a long time too.

One small thing I want is the ability to edit any player once inside franchise so I can update guys around the league as I see fit. And also it would also be great if they'd allow player movement and cpu roster editing as well so i could update rosters on the fly or fix any nonsense that might occur.

I'd want that option to be available alongside the regular ai driven trade and signing features and not disable one for the others. I want to have the ability to intervene in some way if I see fit (not to cheat and build a super team which seems to be an issue for EA for whatever reason). EA needs to let us curate our experience however we want.

And yes, for the love of everything do something about goal celebrations. The score and then pause, and then two man celebration while everyone else glides about soullessly raising their arms looks awful.
Old 10-22-2017, 05:56 PM   #35
MVP

OVR: 0

1. Roster share
2. Ability to edit player names to create classic rosters
3. Classic goalie masks
4. Team rebranding as in NBA 2k
5. Ability to play without helmet
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-23-2017, 03:34 PM   #36
MVP

actionhank's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_philanthropy
A lot of great suggestions in here. A lot of the stuff we've been asking for for a long time too.

One small thing I want is the ability to edit any player once inside franchise so I can update guys around the league as I see fit. And also it would also be great if they'd allow player movement and cpu roster editing as well so i could update rosters on the fly or fix any nonsense that might occur.

I'd want that option to be available alongside the regular ai driven trade and signing features and not disable one for the others. I want to have the ability to intervene in some way if I see fit (not to cheat and build a super team which seems to be an issue for EA for whatever reason). EA needs to let us curate our experience however we want.

And yes, for the love of everything do something about goal celebrations. The score and then pause, and then two man celebration while everyone else glides about soullessly raising their arms looks awful.
Ignoring AI, which will always be my biggest gripe, I think customization is the next biggest problem. Every other sports title is miles ahead of the NHL team in terms of player likeness. The majority of teams in NHL still look nothing like the real players. Even games like Madden, where a mask hides the majority of their faces has more accurate looking players. If the team can't do it, that's fine. I would rather they work on the game itself.

But, give the fans some control. Let me edit in-game players. Let me import logos and jersey designs and share them online. The game looks good, but the players and custom jerseys look so cookie-cutter and dated.
Old 10-24-2017, 04:31 PM   #37
Just started!

Easy fix.....anyone but EA....could take a little from 2K or the show.....game is so stale....used to love this franchise in mid 90s and early 2000s....been same game since 2012
Old 10-25-2017, 02:20 PM   #38
MVP

Madwolf's Arena

OVR: 9

Better passing would be great, because as Elliot states in the article, it can be infuriatungly eratic at times. I'm so sick of icing the puck for no good reason.
Old 10-28-2017, 05:21 PM   #39
Rookie

shpankey's Arena

OVR: 5

PC version
Lighter, faster menu's
Roster Share
Slider Share
Frostbite
AI improvements
Better player and facial likenesses
Crowd Meter levels and record setting (anyone remember this from WAY WAY back??)
Better situational crown noise (game 7 stanley cup tieing the game w/ 2 minutes should have crown going insane and literally drown out the announcers even)
Team celebrations
Special nights, like player specific nights, bobblehead, etc, where that player gets a boost in rating for the game.

Turn off dumbing down of teammate CPU players in order to make games closer.

Turn off magnetic pickup of puck by opponent CPU players and total inability of teammate players.

Turn off unrealistic CPU speed bursts (solvable now w/ sliders, but still)

The game as is basically cheats to be competitive, which just shows its complete and utter stupid AI and lack of ability to create on its own. It makes games really stupid, you have the puck 90% of the game and out-shoot them 10 to 1 and still the games are close. If you turn all of this down/off, you win in a complete BLOWOUT.
26 What good will it be for a man if he gains the whole world, yet forfeits his soul? Or what can a man give in exchange for his soul?<BR><BR>Matthew 16:26 NIV

Last edited by shpankey; 10-28-2017 at 05:30 PM.
Old 10-30-2017, 12:26 AM   #40
Pro

sportomatic75's Arena

I want to see coaches appear on the benches and play more of a role in the games. I'd like to see a lot of cutscenes during games pointing at the bench and during timeouts. Ice girls/mascots involved as well. It just really is an odd experience compared to the other sports games out there

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »