Home

NHL 19 Features Real Player Motion, Outdoor Rinks, Legends & New Modes

This is a discussion on NHL 19 Features Real Player Motion, Outdoor Rinks, Legends & New Modes within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-25-2018, 05:29 PM   #65
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: NHL 19 Features Real Player Motion, Outdoor Rinks, Legends & New Modes

I think it also harkens back to when hockey games were at their most popular. Hockey games were great when they weren't authentic, but faster and more violent. While microtansactions are nice, I don't think it is the sole reason for a move to casual gameplay. I thin it also helps market the NHL.

I mean, everybody raved when EA added NHL 94 controls to the game.

I think they are just hitting there max as too what they can do to make the game realistic, without sacrificing fun. In fact, I think they had gone a little too far, which is why the new modes are coming.

NHL fans cannot support an NHL video game on their own, because the fan base is too small. ESPN doesn't refuse to air hockey games because they hate hockey, it's because no one watches the games when they air them.

Video game hockey grained in popularity when non-NHL fans began to enjoy the gameplay of the early games. NHL fans accepted in early on because games were more rudimentary, and it seemed to be the best we could expect.

Over the last decade, EA has taken over video game hockey with added realism and deeper strategic options. I was 100% a non-NHL fan when I began play 2K's hockey games. I transitioned over to EA when shift in quality happened, and I actually learned a lot about hockey and began following it more.

But as the series has gone on, I've gotten more bored with it. Not because of a lack of authenticity, but because it stopped being a visceral experience. A couple of years ago I deci8ded to try out playing on arcade, with hits and speed cranked up. It wasn't real, but it was real fun.

Threes was a perfect addition, even if I think they didn't nail the execution completely. I loved the addition of 3v3 OT in the NHL. The moment I saw it, I knew it had to be the format for the ASG, but I was still shocked to see that they did, in fact do that. While I don't thin the NHL should go to 3v3, for obvious reasons, I love it in a video game.

The real challenge is in getting the casual hockey fan of the 90's and 00's back to the game. That is where EA sees a profitable road forward, and it was a million times better at marketing the NHL than the more realistic gameplay. A game really does not have to be sim in order to be aq vehicle to draw more fans to a sport.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-25-2018, 08:01 PM   #66
MVP

jake19ny's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantsharks
There is a quote in this article that I found really odd.

The look is meant to pull in fans who aren't necessarily into the NHL, Ramjasingh says. "There are some players who don't relate to the league, but love hockey."

Maybe it's just me but is this kinda weird? They are trying to appeal to hockey fans that aren't into the NHL in an NHL game? Also, how big could the market for hockey fans that don't like the NHL be?
Rammer is fraud that’s a ridiculous comment. While there me be fans of other leagues rather than the NHL I can’t imagine there are people interested in te sport but not interested in following it at a league level....absurd. That’s Ranmer spinning it to sound good. What he’s really saying is they can’t create a good hockey game so we’re going to fill it full of gimmicks. I believe Ramner detests is true hockey sin guys
Old 06-25-2018, 10:37 PM   #67
Hall Of Fame

mkharsh33's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantsharks
There is a quote in this article that I found really odd.

The look is meant to pull in fans who aren't necessarily into the NHL, Ramjasingh says. "There are some players who don't relate to the league, but love hockey."

Maybe it's just me but is this kinda weird? They are trying to appeal to hockey fans that aren't into the NHL in an NHL game? Also, how big could the market for hockey fans that don't like the NHL be?
It's like saying, "there are people who don't understand or relate to football. so we're gonna add a 3 on 3 arcade mode where you get a qb (he's the guy who passes the ball), a rb (the guy who takes handoffs or occasionally catches a pass), and a wr (the guy out wide who you can throw to) and when they make plays you'll see balls of fire, explosions, and the ability run over guys with the press of a button! NFL THREES is the new wave of EA Sports!!!!!!!!!"

Yeah...
Old 06-26-2018, 01:36 PM   #68
Rookie

ChubbyD's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkerStL
The real challenge is in getting the casual hockey fan of the 90's and 00's back to the game. That is where EA sees a profitable road forward, and it was a million times better at marketing the NHL than the more realistic gameplay. A game really does not have to be sim in order to be aq vehicle to draw more fans to a sport.
You bring up some good points. My issue is this - it doesn't have to be an either/or type thing. The things this community has done in the past when given simple tools (roster share, custom music) to do them are nothing short of astounding. Give us roster share and custom music, and all of the sudden I gain a ton of suspension of disbelief. Even my 9-year-old notices a difference when I break out 15 on PS3 and the Wings skate out to KISS, as opposed to genericNBCsportsNetpresentation. It feels real. I want to feel like I'm in the building, not watching at home. I get to do that every damn night.

EA can bring in 3v3 and 1v1v1 to spice things up and these would have been, in my college days, eaten up as awesome alternatives to play with roommates to decide who gets stuck doing dishes. But when it's the only thing added, and sold as the main selling point, it goes from a really cool additional mode to "this is all we get this year? Really?"

TWITCH FEED: ShotgunFarmer
Old 06-26-2018, 02:43 PM   #69
Banned

Zeta Reticulan1's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChubbyD
You bring up some good points. My issue is this - it doesn't have to be an either/or type thing. The things this community has done in the past when given simple tools (roster share, custom music) to do them are nothing short of astounding. Give us roster share and custom music, and all of the sudden I gain a ton of suspension of disbelief. Even my 9-year-old notices a difference when I break out 15 on PS3 and the Wings skate out to KISS, as opposed to genericNBCsportsNetpresentation. It feels real. I want to feel like I'm in the building, not watching at home. I get to do that every damn night.

EA can bring in 3v3 and 1v1v1 to spice things up and these would have been, in my college days, eaten up as awesome alternatives to play with roommates to decide who gets stuck doing dishes. But when it's the only thing added, and sold as the main selling point, it goes from a really cool additional mode to "this is all we get this year? Really?"

You are severely misinformed if you believe this is the "only thing added".

And it's not the "main selling point" either. It's only ONE part of the overall World of Chel, meant to attract and funnel new people into the EASHL eventually. RPM tech, a complete scouting system overhaul, collision physics improvements, over 200 Legends available in ALL modes, etc. are the main selling points.

Noisy negativism such as this needs to be pointed out and corrected.
Old 06-26-2018, 03:15 PM   #70
Banned

I do wish they would let us add music, though. It's asinine that consoles have clamped down so much on adding our own music to games.
Old 06-26-2018, 03:40 PM   #71
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurenCarter
I just got paid 7000 dollar working off my laptop this month. And if you think that’s cool, my divorced friend has twin toddlers and made over 9k her first month. It feels so good making so much money when other people have to work for so much less. This is what I do... www.2Jobsday.com
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-26-2018, 05:09 PM   #72
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeta Reticulan1
You are severely misinformed if you believe this is the "only thing added".

And it's not the "main selling point" either. It's only ONE part of the overall World of Chel, meant to attract and funnel new people into the EASHL eventually. RPM tech, a complete scouting system overhaul, collision physics improvements, over 200 Legends available in ALL modes, etc. are the main selling points.

Noisy negativism such as this needs to be pointed out and corrected.
You're 100% right

Semi-long term lurker here, only made an account to talk with the devs on the UFC forums so that's why it's so new but I really hate how people are bashing the game blindly before we have even seen any of the new gameplay.

I understand having doubts about the game and you're perfectly in your rights to believe this years game won't be any better then the last but you guys really need to stop lying about features just because you want the game to look worse then it is.

I'm personally hyped to see what this new RPM system is like and how it fixes the very unreliable puck pickups and sloppy movement, I'm also hyped to see the new collision physics and how it changes up the game and hopefully makes the hits look more realistic instead of the body-check "shunt" that's normally the default way to hit someone which in my opinion looks dreadful.

Not to mention I'm glad they seem to be directing players more towards the EASHL, the game mode has loads of potential and in my opinion is one of the best online features of the game, improvements and even more players to play with has me excited too.

Hopefully we get some sort of beta soon so we can try it and decide for ourselves though and see if it's worth the money based off the small tease we get.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »