Home

NHL 19 Features Real Player Motion, Outdoor Rinks, Legends & New Modes

This is a discussion on NHL 19 Features Real Player Motion, Outdoor Rinks, Legends & New Modes within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-22-2018, 10:08 AM   #49
All Star

MizzouRah's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: NHL 19 Features Real Player Motion, Outdoor Rinks, Legends & New Modes

NHL 19 Hands-On: NHL May Suddenly be Poised to Become EA's Best Sports Sim

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/nhl-19-hands-on-review

A few things from this article..

Quote:
NHL 19 finally brings much-needed improvements to the skating via the Real Player Motion or "RPM" tech, making carves and crossovers feel more realistic and responsive. It also includes a physical overhaul that makes players feel bigger and nastier without being cartoony. Players will anticipate and follow through on their hits, giving them a satisfying punch.

It's already a nice step over last year, which felt dated at times. In NHL 18 players wouldn't so much skate as sort of float across the ice; hits were either too soft or ridiculously hard, and defensive AI was eminently exploitable. NHL has made several improvements to the gameplay over the years, but until now the locomotion has always been fundamentally the same. It's a relief to see some much-needed improvements to the foundational gameplay, and the difference is noticeable when playing.
Quote:
Some of the areas the team will be focusing on this year: puck pickups, shooting, passing, one-timers, goalies, offensive and defensive AI, and the Defensive Skill Stick. Hopefully NHL 19 will finally be able to nail puck pickups, which have been a sticking point for the series since forever.
Old 06-22-2018, 10:32 AM   #50
Twitch/YouTube: Fiddy14

Fiddy's Arena

OVR: 32

One thing I wanted to be added was playing in an offline franchise mode with my buddy. We can play 3's offline with an online bud, so why not franchise mode?

Nice to see earning things for eashl players in offline modes etc. Such a shame they missed the boat on bringing eashl over in 2015. Things went down hill because of that and it keeps getting worse.
http://www.youtube.com/@Fiddy14

Favorite Teams
Pittsburgh Penguins
New York Mets
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Browns
Notre Dame Fightin Irish
Liverpool FC
Old 06-22-2018, 10:58 AM   #51
MVP

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah

There's a quote in there about putting Wayne on the Minnesota North Stars, which either means the writer has no idea they're the Wild (possible!) or expansion mode is confirmed to return.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-22-2018, 11:12 AM   #52
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler289
There's a quote in there about putting Wayne on the Minnesota North Stars, which either means the writer has no idea they're the Wild (possible!) or expansion mode is confirmed to return.
They announced classic teams.

Also, why are people speculating that expansion mode would be taken out? Did people forget there was a 32nd team expansion in NHL 18?
Old 06-22-2018, 11:49 AM   #53
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah

Why's there never any mention of the god awful stick collision detection being fixed? Sticks through boards, sticks through players, sticks through nets, etc. There have been countless times where I've watched replays of my stick going right through the opposing player's skates and legs and puck and then of course they take a shot and score. Is this how EA works their script into the game, by deciding when your stick is going to make or not make contact with the puck or opposing player's body? How is it I'm able to magically control the puck along the boards even though my stick is through the boards?

It's one of the worst parts of the game in my opinion but never gets addressed for some reason, and at the moment appears it's going to be the exact same in NHL 19. Sorry EA, but the script is in your game. It's in your stick.
Old 06-22-2018, 02:35 PM   #54
All Star

MizzouRah's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by handheldpictures
Why's there never any mention of the god awful stick collision detection being fixed? Sticks through boards, sticks through players, sticks through nets, etc. There have been countless times where I've watched replays of my stick going right through the opposing player's skates and legs and puck and then of course they take a shot and score. Is this how EA works their script into the game, by deciding when your stick is going to make or not make contact with the puck or opposing player's body? How is it I'm able to magically control the puck along the boards even though my stick is through the boards?

It's one of the worst parts of the game in my opinion but never gets addressed for some reason, and at the moment appears it's going to be the exact same in NHL 19. Sorry EA, but the script is in your game. It's in your stick.
Stick on stick collisions were mentioned in the survey.. so I'm hoping that's addressed along with pucks going through the goalies pads.
Old 06-22-2018, 05:14 PM   #55
MVP

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnlarge

Also, why are people speculating that expansion mode would be taken out? Did people forget there was a 32nd team expansion in NHL 18?
Development teams, especially this one, recently have been cutting modes/features to put more effort into online modes/features. The Show cut season mode, but didn't tell anyone. This team has a real mixed history in terms of sticking with plans/ideas/features, so I'm just hoping they don't surprise us with a "well, we took it out so we could add in more colorful masks in the WORLD OF CHEL."

Offline players are not factors in decision-making, unfortunately, so I'm just hoping we're not all surprised on release day like The Show fans were.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-25-2018, 05:35 AM   #56
Pro

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnlarge

They did announce classic teams? Where did you hear that? I know legends are in the game , but I’ve yet to see them annouce classic rosters.If you have any links it would be greatly appreciated.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »