Home

Ducks are overpowered

This is a discussion on Ducks are overpowered within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-21-2018, 08:11 PM   #17
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: Ducks are overpowered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S
Only thing I complained about in this thread was hard combos, other than that just noting things.
I'll co-sign on this point. It makes no sense to me. Maybe I'm missing something, but I otherwise don't get why a game leaning toward behind movement and reaction based, suddenly has combos like this. Reminds me of Mortal Combat or something.

Sorry, a bit of topic... So, yeah, I duck every once in a while
Old 02-21-2018, 08:25 PM   #18
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameplayDevUFC
So are you complaining about how the ducks look, or are complaining that ducks avoid hooks?
Im complaining because ducks shouldnt avoid hooks everytime

It’s all about timing and angles. It should require strict timing to avoid a hook with a duck(assuming the guy throwing has good accuracy)

This is what can happen irl if you time a hook into someone ducking
https://www.reddit.com/r/Boxing/comm...PD&sh=3340cdd0

Cant do that in the game because your guy will swing at air if your opponent ducks

Last edited by Phillyboi207; 02-21-2018 at 08:34 PM.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:26 PM   #19
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillyboi207

It’s all about timing and angles. It should require strict timing to avoid a hook with a duck(assuming the guy throwing have good accuracy)

Cant do that in the game because your guy will swing at air if your opponent ducks
and I really think this is the crux of my issue with the games defensive options. Head movement shouldn't be giving I-frames, it should be reducing your hitbox on the same movement line as your actual character model.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:35 PM   #20
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Hooks will hit if you stay ducked down for too long ahead of time. It's a generous timing window though (and probably is intertwined with stats somehow).

You can argue that the window for a slipped hook due to a duck is too large, but it's not complete immunity. I can see that easily in practice mode with strike recording.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:36 PM   #21
MVP

Serengeti1's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillyboi207

It’s all about timing and angles. It should require strict timing to avoid a hook with a duck(assuming the guy throwing have good accuracy)

Definitely agree. I wonder if it's like this because we don't have reactive head movement. If we did... There'd be no need for the extra evasion frames on the head movement. If you take away evasion frames from the head movement it'd be a lot harder to use. I actually think head movement would be harder to use than it currently is if you could do it reactively but the evasion frames were shorter.

I feel like a great solution is to give us reactive head movement to create real balance. It would balance things very well. It should be hard to use reactively and it should depend on your stats but it'd do amazing things for the game. It would eliminate the dice roll feeling.

It's also realistic. Irl you know which punches are coming at certain ranges so you know where/how to move your head. When you see your opponent about to throw... You move your head in the correct way to avoid the punch. It's not fool proof but this is how head movement works irl (as you know yourself).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-21-2018, 08:51 PM   #22
Nogueira connoisseur

Find_the_Door's Arena

OVR: 5

I dunno what you guys are talking about - I get caught mid duck all the time by hooks.

Ultimately if my opponent is spamming the ducking uppercut I lead my next combo with the lead naked uppercut (usually rear hook to follow). Or if they lean sway spam I start with a lead hook and follow with a rear uppercut.

All depends on the pattern my opponent exhibits ultimately.

If it were to be that once in awhile you'd get caught by a hook when ducking oh boy the striking system would completely crumble. Spammers would then benefit from you trying to counter them. There'd be less strategy involved.

I do agree that the ducking uppercut is far too effective as is though. That thing along with the side sway uppercut seems to find it's way underneath nearly any strike I throw. With the evasion built-in to both kinds of strikes it makes it especially difficult against an opponent that's aware of the different types of evasion frames.

In my opinion uppercuts shouldn't have an evasion frame at all. They should be high risk - high reward style of strike. Just my two cents.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:52 PM   #23
Former EA Sports UFC Gameplay Developer

GameplayDevUFC's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serengeti95
Definitely agree. I wonder if it's like this because we don't have reactive head movement. If we did... There'd be no need for the extra evasion frames on the head movement. If you take away evasion frames from the head movement it'd be a lot harder to use. I actually think head movement would be harder to use than it currently is if you could do it reactively but the evasion frames were shorter.

I feel like a great solution is to give us reactive head movement to create real balance. It would balance things very well. It should be hard to use reactively and it should depend on your stats but it'd do amazing things for the game. It would eliminate the dice roll feeling.

It's also realistic. Irl you know which punches are coming at certain ranges so you know where/how to move your head. When you see your opponent about to throw... You move your head in the correct way to avoid the punch. It's not fool proof but this is how head movement works irl (as you know yourself).
You have reactive head movement with the right stat gap. Online latency messes with it big time though so I certainly wouldn't want to pin the entire defensive meta on it.

Sent from my Pixel using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 02-21-2018, 09:02 PM   #24
MVP

Serengeti1's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Find_the_Door
I dunno what you guys are talking about - I get caught mid duck all the time by hooks.
There are a ton of evasion frames on stationary head movement mate. So you end up with very odd looking exchanges occasionally where a guy is sitting in the ducking position and you throw the punch after he's ducked but it still doesn't land.

It's not the same with head movement while moving.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »