Home

Ref Interactions: Amazing new feature that needs to be utilized more

This is a discussion on Ref Interactions: Amazing new feature that needs to be utilized more within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-06-2018, 08:23 PM   #25
Sassy

MacGowan's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Ref Interactions: Amazing new feature that needs to be utilized more

Both refs jump in at the second of the "KD". These are both in reality KO's with a follow up hammerfist (and have even been argued as "cheap shots"). And that's the problem. That these UFC 3 TKO's are often just KO's with 3 more follow up shots. If that happened IRL the ref would get reprimanded.

It looks horrible when they show it in the game replay:

This position isn't even the worst one. but you get to see DJ punch Dodson in the head like this for 3 solid times in slow motion. it looks really disturbing. Dodson is clearly out, and DJ is just turning his head into mush at this point. Not a good look for casuals. If UFC have talked to EA at some point about making the violence look representable for the sport, this would be the next thing I would work on.

what i want is THIS

and THIS

again: I'm not advocating cutting down the amount of strikes on a KD opponent. I'm advocating for a better animation of a semi conscious fighter curling up, defending. that happens more frequent. more realistic.

Now in closing, I love the ref interactions. I hear you guys are still working on them, which I think is important and I'm loving the direction the game is going. The AI fix made it super fun to play the game now. I'm lovin' it.

Last edited by MacGowan; 03-06-2018 at 08:30 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-06-2018, 11:48 PM   #26
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGowan
again: I'm not advocating cutting down the amount of strikes on a KD opponent. I'm advocating for a better animation of a semi conscious fighter curling up, defending. that happens more frequent. more realistic.
This would be cool to have ALONG SIDE strikes on KOed fighters. My point still stands, the "disturbing" and "brutal" strikes on fully 100% KOed stiff fighters still happens in real life. Hendo and Ngannou both did the super charged leaping H-bomb type thing so only got the one strike in, and thankfully refs did their job and stepped in. But there are countless examples of dudes getting starched and getting 2-3 hits on them before the ref could react (They are faster and more fluid than in-game obviously, but I'm sure as the series goes on this will look better and better). Its something that is just part of the sport. I'm not concerned if its "not a good look for casuals". I want a realistic portrayal of the sport in the game.

Ideally we would eventually get both the TKO type scenario you suggest and the KO follow up strikes I'm talking about. That would be the most realistic version of finishes to fights.

(See UD3 for an example of this. Had both TKO style finishes, AND follow up strikes on rag-dolled fighters. Made finishes feel really dynamic and unique.)

Last edited by Reinfarcements; 03-06-2018 at 11:59 PM.
Old 03-07-2018, 12:27 AM   #27
Sassy

MacGowan's Arena

You're kinda picking and choosing what i say here.

the example you used of Overeem vs Francis is a ONE follow up strike. which is what you're NOT advocating for.

I'm saying the animation of a 3 clean strikes to the head of an unconscious knocked out opponent is NOT a realistic portrayal of the sport. I can't think of a single time I've seen anything like that in post Pride era, and especially anything I would see in modern day UFC.

please show me a GIF of a fight ending sequence like that.
Old 03-07-2018, 01:40 AM   #28
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGowan
You're kinda picking and choosing what i say here.

the example you used of Overeem vs Francis is a ONE follow up strike. which is what you're NOT advocating for.

I'm saying the animation of a 3 clean strikes to the head of an unconscious knocked out opponent is NOT a realistic portrayal of the sport. I can't think of a single time I've seen anything like that in post Pride era, and especially anything I would see in modern day UFC.

please show me a GIF of a fight ending sequence like that.
I think I understand now.

Your issue is not with follow up shots on unconscious opponents, but rather the way they are animated in the game? (with weird pauses, not fluid, ect.)

Because if you are asking me to find you a gif that looks like EA UFC 3's Finish the Fight, thats like asking me to find a gif that looks like EA UFC 3's clinch game.....its not a thing. But I'd rather a feature that represents something that does happen in the sport be in the game, even if its not animated perfectly. I guess I don't share the same feeling that it looks too "brutal" in the game to the point we need to take it out. In fact if you ask me, the strikes have very little impact in these Finish the Fight animations (in real life heads would be bouncing off canvas if fighters were in these positions.)

Unless you are actually trying to deny that a completely unconscious fighter has never taken more than one follow up strike in the UFC.

By the way, I would definitely not be against a randomized system for KO finish the fight sequences that include a random chance of a single follow up strike, multiple follow ups (2-3), or a "half-conscious" type of state for the defeated fighter. That would be the ideal outcome here in my opinion.
Old 03-07-2018, 02:12 AM   #29
Rookie

Millhouse's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinfarcements
This would be cool to have ALONG SIDE strikes on KOed fighters. My point still stands, the "disturbing" and "brutal" strikes on fully 100% KOed stiff fighters still happens in real life. Hendo and Ngannou both did the super charged leaping H-bomb type thing so only got the one strike in, and thankfully refs did their job and stepped in. But there are countless examples of dudes getting starched and getting 2-3 hits on them before the ref could react (They are faster and more fluid than in-game obviously, but I'm sure as the series goes on this will look better and better). Its something that is just part of the sport. I'm not concerned if its "not a good look for casuals". I want a realistic portrayal of the sport in the game.

Ideally we would eventually get both the TKO type scenario you suggest and the KO follow up strikes I'm talking about. That would be the most realistic version of finishes to fights.

(See UD3 for an example of this. Had both TKO style finishes, AND follow up strikes on rag-dolled fighters. Made finishes feel really dynamic and unique.)
Absolutely agree. It would be awesome... I miss my time with UD3
Old 03-07-2018, 02:13 AM   #30
Dave

Dave_S's Arena

I just noticed. I'm like almost out of stuff to complain about. It's pretty awesome.
Old 03-07-2018, 11:04 AM   #31
Rookie

This is typically how fighters are finished by strikes irl. Gets dropped - gets followed to the ground - GNP - NOT fully unconscious, but rather; Covering up/unable to defend themselves/not fighting back and taking several unanswered punches - and the ref steps in.

Sometimes fighters also get rocked STARTING from ground and pound and then get TKO'd in the same manner.

We NEED these type of finishes for immersion. CLEAN knockouts should happen much rarer, but with a higher frequency at the higher weight classes. CLEAN knockouts are CONSTANT in EA UFC 3.

I don't at all understand the emphasis on "ragdolls" - I'm much more concerned with fights actually playing out at least somewhat "sim".

Give the hurt fighter the option of swaying on the ground to try and avoid further punishment and the possibility of being stopped. The more serious the knockdown, the less punches to the block it should take for the referee to step in.

I have no idea why such a massive part of MMA is missing in this game. There's been points made about the follow up strikes(after clean KOs) being missing because it's "too violent".

But that sounds like nonsense to me, seeing as CLEAN KOs with fighters going limp happen 98% of the time in this game - and that looks violent to me.

TKOs with fighters still partially blocking looks less violent and more realistic. Why do fighter go limp with every striking finish in this game?
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »