Home

eFootball PES 2020 Impressions

This is a discussion on eFootball PES 2020 Impressions within the eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-24-2019, 10:24 AM   #225
Chillin

RoyceDa59's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: eFootball PES 2020 Impressions

Played three matches after the patch the game feels a little more heavier and I am seeing more first touch and passing errors especially from the teams I played against (Mostly mid table LaLiga teams). Also the midfield is definitely more compact and noticed that they changed the way how teams set up to receive short goal kicks. Also, I still noticed some ball awareness issues so it doesn't seem fully fixed especially on the first game I played on Top Player on the last two matches in Super Star I didn't noticed it as much, should be noted these were Exhibition matches.

Last edited by RoyceDa59; 10-24-2019 at 10:29 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-24-2019, 10:30 AM   #226
MVP

Hunkerdown's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyceDa59
Played three matches after the patch the game feels a little more heavier and I am seeing more first touch and passing errors especially from the teams I played against (Mostly mid table LaLiga teams). Also the midfield is definitely more compact and noticed that they changed the way how teams set up to receive short goal kicks. Also, I still noticed some ball awareness issues so it doesn't seem fully fixed especially on the first game I played on Top Player on the last two matches in Super Star I didn't noticed it as much, should be noted these were Exhibition matches.
So overall positive? What level you playing on as well? Heard people saying superstar and below fine, but legend level has some issues?

PSN: ORLANDORUCKUS
Twitch: hunkerdown
YouTube: ORLANDORUCKUS
Old 10-24-2019, 11:06 AM   #227
Chillin

RoyceDa59's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunkerdown
So overall positive? What level you playing on as well? Heard people saying superstar and below fine, but legend level has some issues?

PSN: ORLANDORUCKUS
Twitch: hunkerdown
YouTube: ORLANDORUCKUS
I am about to play more but it feels better just from them improving the midfield issues alone as it seems more compact with the defenders stepping up to make more challenges on the ball. This has made my shots attempted go down so scoring seemed harder for me. Also the AI seems to attack a bit better and more unpredictable with their dribbling.
Old 10-24-2019, 11:31 AM   #228
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyceDa59
I am about to play more but it feels better just from them improving the midfield issues alone as it seems more compact with the defenders stepping up to make more challenges on the ball. This has made my shots attempted go down so scoring seemed harder for me. Also the AI seems to attack a bit better and more unpredictable with their dribbling.

Hit me up if you want to play a match Royce

kgx2thez

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-24-2019, 01:08 PM   #229
Rookie

Hustler79's Arena

OVR: 0

Patch was only 1.6 gb 🙄

- awareness towards loose balls seems fixed
- skill moves and finesse dribbling still hard
- pass speed seems faster
- referee still the same miss calls
- player movement still sluggish

The demo was a masterpiece too bad the final product isnt .
Old 10-24-2019, 11:46 PM   #230
Rookie

OVR: 2

I've played a bunch of games on top player and above. FIFA is unplayable to me this year so I've focused on PES. I really want to like this game but I'm not seeing the brilliance if I'm being honest. I can play on the top difficulties and win but don't get any enjoyment from the experience for the following reasons:

Konami forces you to play the way they want the game to play out, not the way soccer really plays. Without cheats, and they are everywhere, the AI just can't compete because Imho opinion Konami has just gotten really lazy. These are almost all legacy issues that have been in their game forever and they flat out refuse to fix them.

Some examples:

Overpowered shielding. If you pay attention the AI uses shielding far too often because they can shield virtually anyone regardless of ratings. On the flip side they can also blast through any of your players shielding attempts no matter what player is rated or toe punch the ball away at will when cheat kicks in.

Unrealistic number of fouls that don't get called by AI. Some of these are flat out laughable. One example that happens way too much are the slide tackles. Some aren't even slide tackles they are really cross body blocks that just wipe out your player. If the AI is losing they happen all over the field to the point of being ridiculous. There is absolutely no attempt to play the ball when these kick in. I've seen these everywhere but a prime example is when they get beat on the wing. These are red card fouls in real life every time but rarely are they even called a foul, almost never if the AI needs a goal. They also slide tackle from behind far too often without being penalized. It's crazy - some games I've seen more slide tackle wipe outs in one game than you would see in an entire season.

Some other problems I've noticed over the years are the clumsy controls. Again this has always been an issue yet they refuse to change their control scheme to make it more intuitive. I've played so long now that I know the scheme but the problem is that their scheme is really bad. Just look at Advanced shooting which I use btw. Does it really need to be that complicated? I know for a fact that it doesn't always trigger properly so why not scrap it for something more intuitive that actually is fun and works like it should consistently.

Imo the new right stick control is a perfect example of just how lost they are when it comes to their controls. Way too slow and cumbersome. I'm not even sure what they were trying to accomplish with that mess, not sure they even know if I'm being honest.

Animations, especially the skill moves take far to long to play out. I could almost forgive this with players with low ratings but even top players have issues pulling these off against lowly rated defenders. These are almost useless when you try to use them near or in the box.

That leads me to another pet peeve....play in or around the box. There is none. Players just get mauled by defenders so creativty is extremely nerfed.

Lastly individual skill and ratings really aren't as important as they should be. Even agile highly skilled ball handlers don't feel dangerous. I still feel like I'm driving an old truck, not a great handling sports car.

My feeling is that a lot of these issues have to do with Konami's refusal to make this a modern digital game with a 360 degree control scheme. The controls are all still analog and the coding is still straight line (on rails) based like when it was first developed 20 years ago. This is so obvious that I'm surprised it isn't talked about more often. Thus the reason you still have to use the ridiculously outdated "super cancel" so often to approach even a slight resemblance to realistic movement, but even using that results in just altered trajectory to straight lines.

I do really like the graphics. Fifa is an eyesore, at least to me, in comparison on a 4K TV. Unfortunately Konami just has a really nice coat of paint on a very, very old engine that hasn't really changed in forever.

I thought that they were starting on a better path with 2018. It was still on rails but it was camaflouged better because of how smooth it played. I also really liked how in 18 you could go up with an offensive player on a break or one on one air ball situation and gain control with your offensive player. For some reason unknown reason they totally scrapped those animations in 19 and again in 20. That's a huge part of the game that 18 definitely got right. If your player was highly skilled you could actually body up and come down with possession. There were some really great animations that played out. No idea why they would abandon these.

It's unfortunate that Kanomi doesn't devote their time trying to make the game better but instead takes short cuts with cheats and analog controls to make it artificially challenging.
Old 10-24-2019, 11:51 PM   #231

dubcity's Arena

OVR: 2

CPU defense shape seems the same. Still see the back4 backtrack into space for no reason. Still open space between the midfield and them. User team you can still tell your back4 not to move back with the dpad, so it is what it is.

Foul calls seem the same.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-25-2019, 02:53 AM   #232
Rookie

Hustler79's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjackets
I've played a bunch of games on top player and above. FIFA is unplayable to me this year so I've focused on PES. I really want to like this game but I'm not seeing the brilliance if I'm being honest. I can play on the top difficulties and win but don't get any enjoyment from the experience for the following reasons:

Konami forces you to play the way they want the game to play out, not the way soccer really plays. Without cheats, and they are everywhere, the AI just can't compete because Imho opinion Konami has just gotten really lazy. These are almost all legacy issues that have been in their game forever and they flat out refuse to fix them.

Some examples:

Overpowered shielding. If you pay attention the AI uses shielding far too often because they can shield virtually anyone regardless of ratings. On the flip side they can also blast through any of your players shielding attempts no matter what player is rated or toe punch the ball away at will when cheat kicks in.

Unrealistic number of fouls that don't get called by AI. Some of these are flat out laughable. One example that happens way too much are the slide tackles. Some aren't even slide tackles they are really cross body blocks that just wipe out your player. If the AI is losing they happen all over the field to the point of being ridiculous. There is absolutely no attempt to play the ball when these kick in. I've seen these everywhere but a prime example is when they get beat on the wing. These are red card fouls in real life every time but rarely are they even called a foul, almost never if the AI needs a goal. They also slide tackle from behind far too often without being penalized. It's crazy - some games I've seen more slide tackle wipe outs in one game than you would see in an entire season.

Some other problems I've noticed over the years are the clumsy controls. Again this has always been an issue yet they refuse to change their control scheme to make it more intuitive. I've played so long now that I know the scheme but the problem is that their scheme is really bad. Just look at Advanced shooting which I use btw. Does it really need to be that complicated? I know for a fact that it doesn't always trigger properly so why not scrap it for something more intuitive that actually is fun and works like it should consistently.

Imo the new right stick control is a perfect example of just how lost they are when it comes to their controls. Way too slow and cumbersome. I'm not even sure what they were trying to accomplish with that mess, not sure they even know if I'm being honest.

Animations, especially the skill moves take far to long to play out. I could almost forgive this with players with low ratings but even top players have issues pulling these off against lowly rated defenders. These are almost useless when you try to use them near or in the box.

That leads me to another pet peeve....play in or around the box. There is none. Players just get mauled by defenders so creativty is extremely nerfed.

Lastly individual skill and ratings really aren't as important as they should be. Even agile highly skilled ball handlers don't feel dangerous. I still feel like I'm driving an old truck, not a great handling sports car.

My feeling is that a lot of these issues have to do with Konami's refusal to make this a modern digital game with a 360 degree control scheme. The controls are all still analog and the coding is still straight line (on rails) based like when it was first developed 20 years ago. This is so obvious that I'm surprised it isn't talked about more often. Thus the reason you still have to use the ridiculously outdated "super cancel" so often to approach even a slight resemblance to realistic movement, but even using that results in just altered trajectory to straight lines.

I do really like the graphics. Fifa is an eyesore, at least to me, in comparison on a 4K TV. Unfortunately Konami just has a really nice coat of paint on a very, very old engine that hasn't really changed in forever.

I thought that they were starting on a better path with 2018. It was still on rails but it was camaflouged better because of how smooth it played. I also really liked how in 18 you could go up with an offensive player on a break or one on one air ball situation and gain control with your offensive player. For some reason unknown reason they totally scrapped those animations in 19 and again in 20. That's a huge part of the game that 18 definitely got right. If your player was highly skilled you could actually body up and come down with possession. There were some really great animations that played out. No idea why they would abandon these.

It's unfortunate that Kanomi doesn't devote their time trying to make the game better but instead takes short cuts with cheats and analog controls to make it artificially challenging.

Spot on analysis i agree on all points and especially the cpu shielding !!!! Ratings dont even matter !!
A small winger can shield off 2 big strong central backs and still dribble tbe ball and on the other side you cant even budge the cpu ball handler when he is on the ball especially from be backside like the cpu does poke away balls ...ridiculously annoying

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer »