Home

eFootball PES 2020 Impressions

This is a discussion on eFootball PES 2020 Impressions within the eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-25-2019, 05:49 AM   #233
MVP

lareka's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: eFootball PES 2020 Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubcity
CPU defense shape seems the same. Still see the back4 backtrack into space for no reason. Still open space between the midfield and them. User team you can still tell your back4 not to move back with the dpad, so it is what it is.

Foul calls seem the same.
I didn't notice a significant change in that regard as you pointed out nor in the foul calls but i found one change - you can get past your opponent with less clipping by them - right to left, left to right dribbling, you can go past them much more easily. I played 3 full games and I tried it a lot of times, it worked nearly everytime, they were getting the ball most of the time before the patch.
Old 10-25-2019, 05:52 AM   #234
MVP

lareka's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjackets
I've played a bunch of games on top player and above. FIFA is unplayable to me this year so I've focused on PES. I really want to like this game but I'm not seeing the brilliance if I'm being honest. I can play on the top difficulties and win but don't get any enjoyment from the experience for the following reasons:

Konami forces you to play the way they want the game to play out, not the way soccer really plays. Without cheats, and they are everywhere, the AI just can't compete because Imho opinion Konami has just gotten really lazy. These are almost all legacy issues that have been in their game forever and they flat out refuse to fix them.

Some examples:

Overpowered shielding. If you pay attention the AI uses shielding far too often because they can shield virtually anyone regardless of ratings. On the flip side they can also blast through any of your players shielding attempts no matter what player is rated or toe punch the ball away at will when cheat kicks in.

Unrealistic number of fouls that don't get called by AI. Some of these are flat out laughable. One example that happens way too much are the slide tackles. Some aren't even slide tackles they are really cross body blocks that just wipe out your player. If the AI is losing they happen all over the field to the point of being ridiculous. There is absolutely no attempt to play the ball when these kick in. I've seen these everywhere but a prime example is when they get beat on the wing. These are red card fouls in real life every time but rarely are they even called a foul, almost never if the AI needs a goal. They also slide tackle from behind far too often without being penalized. It's crazy - some games I've seen more slide tackle wipe outs in one game than you would see in an entire season.

Some other problems I've noticed over the years are the clumsy controls. Again this has always been an issue yet they refuse to change their control scheme to make it more intuitive. I've played so long now that I know the scheme but the problem is that their scheme is really bad. Just look at Advanced shooting which I use btw. Does it really need to be that complicated? I know for a fact that it doesn't always trigger properly so why not scrap it for something more intuitive that actually is fun and works like it should consistently.

Imo the new right stick control is a perfect example of just how lost they are when it comes to their controls. Way too slow and cumbersome. I'm not even sure what they were trying to accomplish with that mess, not sure they even know if I'm being honest.

Animations, especially the skill moves take far to long to play out. I could almost forgive this with players with low ratings but even top players have issues pulling these off against lowly rated defenders. These are almost useless when you try to use them near or in the box.

That leads me to another pet peeve....play in or around the box. There is none. Players just get mauled by defenders so creativty is extremely nerfed.

Lastly individual skill and ratings really aren't as important as they should be. Even agile highly skilled ball handlers don't feel dangerous. I still feel like I'm driving an old truck, not a great handling sports car.

My feeling is that a lot of these issues have to do with Konami's refusal to make this a modern digital game with a 360 degree control scheme. The controls are all still analog and the coding is still straight line (on rails) based like when it was first developed 20 years ago. This is so obvious that I'm surprised it isn't talked about more often. Thus the reason you still have to use the ridiculously outdated "super cancel" so often to approach even a slight resemblance to realistic movement, but even using that results in just altered trajectory to straight lines.

I do really like the graphics. Fifa is an eyesore, at least to me, in comparison on a 4K TV. Unfortunately Konami just has a really nice coat of paint on a very, very old engine that hasn't really changed in forever.

I thought that they were starting on a better path with 2018. It was still on rails but it was camaflouged better because of how smooth it played. I also really liked how in 18 you could go up with an offensive player on a break or one on one air ball situation and gain control with your offensive player. For some reason unknown reason they totally scrapped those animations in 19 and again in 20. That's a huge part of the game that 18 definitely got right. If your player was highly skilled you could actually body up and come down with possession. There were some really great animations that played out. No idea why they would abandon these.

It's unfortunate that Kanomi doesn't devote their time trying to make the game better but instead takes short cuts with cheats and analog controls to make it artificially challenging.
I agre with some of the problems that you put out but shielding seems to better with this patch, you can try and see if you like it. But it was as you put out before the patch, no objections. Also for sliding tackles, yes it's too often but you are wrong about them being red cards in real football most of the time, NO because CPU in this game CHEATS and perfectly, i repeat PERFECTLY plays the ball with sliding tackle which is normally not the case with sliding tackles, you usually get a part of your opponent and the ball but since you hit the opponent even a little bit that's a foul in real life. In this game , CPU cleanly gets it in many occasions which is absurd. But it's not rightfully called foul in the game because they are not. CPU is just cheating on those sliding tackles. Whenever I make sliding tackle clean, no foul, i go on, but 50 % of the sliding tackles i make, i get called foul because I can't make it 100 % right on the timing unlike the CPU
Old 10-25-2019, 06:02 AM   #235
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjackets
I've played a bunch of games on top player and above. FIFA is unplayable to me this year so I've focused on PES. I really want to like this game but I'm not seeing the brilliance if I'm being honest. I can play on the top difficulties and win but don't get any enjoyment from the experience for the following reasons:

Konami forces you to play the way they want the game to play out, not the way soccer really plays. Without cheats, and they are everywhere, the AI just can't compete because Imho opinion Konami has just gotten really lazy. These are almost all legacy issues that have been in their game forever and they flat out refuse to fix them.

Some examples:

Overpowered shielding. If you pay attention the AI uses shielding far too often because they can shield virtually anyone regardless of ratings. On the flip side they can also blast through any of your players shielding attempts no matter what player is rated or toe punch the ball away at will when cheat kicks in.

Unrealistic number of fouls that don't get called by AI. Some of these are flat out laughable. One example that happens way too much are the slide tackles. Some aren't even slide tackles they are really cross body blocks that just wipe out your player. If the AI is losing they happen all over the field to the point of being ridiculous. There is absolutely no attempt to play the ball when these kick in. I've seen these everywhere but a prime example is when they get beat on the wing. These are red card fouls in real life every time but rarely are they even called a foul, almost never if the AI needs a goal. They also slide tackle from behind far too often without being penalized. It's crazy - some games I've seen more slide tackle wipe outs in one game than you would see in an entire season.

Some other problems I've noticed over the years are the clumsy controls. Again this has always been an issue yet they refuse to change their control scheme to make it more intuitive. I've played so long now that I know the scheme but the problem is that their scheme is really bad. Just look at Advanced shooting which I use btw. Does it really need to be that complicated? I know for a fact that it doesn't always trigger properly so why not scrap it for something more intuitive that actually is fun and works like it should consistently.

Imo the new right stick control is a perfect example of just how lost they are when it comes to their controls. Way too slow and cumbersome. I'm not even sure what they were trying to accomplish with that mess, not sure they even know if I'm being honest.

Animations, especially the skill moves take far to long to play out. I could almost forgive this with players with low ratings but even top players have issues pulling these off against lowly rated defenders. These are almost useless when you try to use them near or in the box.

That leads me to another pet peeve....play in or around the box. There is none. Players just get mauled by defenders so creativty is extremely nerfed.

Lastly individual skill and ratings really aren't as important as they should be. Even agile highly skilled ball handlers don't feel dangerous. I still feel like I'm driving an old truck, not a great handling sports car.

My feeling is that a lot of these issues have to do with Konami's refusal to make this a modern digital game with a 360 degree control scheme. The controls are all still analog and the coding is still straight line (on rails) based like when it was first developed 20 years ago. This is so obvious that I'm surprised it isn't talked about more often. Thus the reason you still have to use the ridiculously outdated "super cancel" so often to approach even a slight resemblance to realistic movement, but even using that results in just altered trajectory to straight lines.

I do really like the graphics. Fifa is an eyesore, at least to me, in comparison on a 4K TV. Unfortunately Konami just has a really nice coat of paint on a very, very old engine that hasn't really changed in forever.

I thought that they were starting on a better path with 2018. It was still on rails but it was camaflouged better because of how smooth it played. I also really liked how in 18 you could go up with an offensive player on a break or one on one air ball situation and gain control with your offensive player. For some reason unknown reason they totally scrapped those animations in 19 and again in 20. That's a huge part of the game that 18 definitely got right. If your player was highly skilled you could actually body up and come down with possession. There were some really great animations that played out. No idea why they would abandon these.

It's unfortunate that Kanomi doesn't devote their time trying to make the game better but instead takes short cuts with cheats and analog controls to make it artificially challenging.
This is 100% how I feel about PES 2020. When I win on superstar level, it feels more like I just aced one of those concentration skill games that are always rigged that you play at the local fair, rather than outsmarting the opposition. None of the star players have that special flair and character that makes them star players, rather, they may be a tad faster and a tiny bit less clunkier than the average player. FIFA 20 does dribbling, speed and highlights star players allot better than pes this year. The ball physics as well are so overrated....keeps rolling and moving forward gathering speed more like and ice hockey puck than a football. Don't see any real improvement with the new patch either....my biggest gripe was that defensive lines are way too deep, and the field just felt so huge compared to the action that it was exhausting putting together plays. Players seem miles away from each other and quick combination plays in short spaces are just not it's forte. Anyway, I don't get all the proclaimed love PES players give to Konami....it gives them a false sense of superiority in the football game stakes....which results in Konami making sleight improvements each year rather than making strides. Say it like it is, very average....I expected better
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-25-2019, 07:21 AM   #236
MVP

lareka's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumbonote
This is 100% how I feel about PES 2020. When I win on superstar level, it feels more like I just aced one of those concentration skill games that are always rigged that you play at the local fair, rather than outsmarting the opposition. None of the star players have that special flair and character that makes them star players, rather, they may be a tad faster and a tiny bit less clunkier than the average player. FIFA 20 does dribbling, speed and highlights star players allot better than pes this year. The ball physics as well are so overrated....keeps rolling and moving forward gathering speed more like and ice hockey puck than a football. Don't see any real improvement with the new patch either....my biggest gripe was that defensive lines are way too deep, and the field just felt so huge compared to the action that it was exhausting putting together plays. Players seem miles away from each other and quick combination plays in short spaces are just not it's forte. Anyway, I don't get all the proclaimed love PES players give to Konami....it gives them a false sense of superiority in the football game stakes....which results in Konami making sleight improvements each year rather than making strides. Say it like it is, very average....I expected better
KG wrote a few weeks ago here that he got the info from the inside (KONAMI) to not to play the game at superstar level as the cpu cheats in different ways to win the game. So you should switch to top player and try the game like that because in superstar in previous PES games as well it's not a football game, it's a different game where you need to do specific things to win, not fun at all.
Old 10-25-2019, 09:57 AM   #237
MVP

Hunkerdown's Arena

OVR: 16

I dont know what game you guys are playing? This game is fun and way more sim than that FIFA arcade trash. None of the sports games are Perfect with these yearly releases. All I know is I am having fun and seeing all kind of variety in games and cpu. I also play pro and top player in master league. So don't see upper level cheese. I know fouls are not perfect or not called at times, but hardly ever seem fouls in fifa, so I will take it. I have never been a abuser of skills guy against cpu teams in either game, as I believe it puts cpu at disadvantage if they do not use much. I cannot wait to start new ML coach career to see if I can work my way up coach ranks from lower level or league team.

PSN: ORLANDORUCKUS
Twitch: hunkerdown
YouTube: ORLANDORUCKUS
Old 10-25-2019, 08:31 PM   #238
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunkerdown
I dont know what game you guys are playing? This game is fun and way more sim than that FIFA arcade trash. None of the sports games are Perfect with these yearly releases. All I know is I am having fun and seeing all kind of variety in games and cpu. I also play pro and top player in master league. So don't see upper level cheese. I know fouls are not perfect or not called at times, but hardly ever seem fouls in fifa, so I will take it. I have never been a abuser of skills guy against cpu teams in either game, as I believe it puts cpu at disadvantage if they do not use much. I cannot wait to start new ML coach career to see if I can work my way up coach ranks from lower level or league team.

I'm a career mode, master league offline player looking for the best sim each year. Searching for the holy grail of football sims, and i support both Ea and Konami.....and wish there was a third franchise in the mix to push the competition. I buy both fifa and pes every year. Now that fifa has ironed out its major bugs with the recent patch.... i would recomend you give it a go. Use realistic sliders from Matt10 and play on Broadcast Camera....the game now plays brilliantly and in my opinion is far superior to PES this year. Unpopular opinion, even the ball physics in fifa are superior to pes. Pes on the surface is fantastic, however, I still feel it is rather an old school football game compared to fifa in 2020.
Old 10-25-2019, 09:09 PM   #239
MVP

Hunkerdown's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumbonote
I'm a career mode, master league offline player looking for the best sim each year. Searching for the holy grail of football sims, and i support both Ea and Konami.....and wish there was a third franchise in the mix to push the competition. I buy both fifa and pes every year. Now that fifa has ironed out its major bugs with the recent patch.... i would recomend you give it a go. Use realistic sliders from Matt10 and play on Broadcast Camera....the game now plays brilliantly and in my opinion is far superior to PES this year. Unpopular opinion, even the ball physics in fifa are superior to pes. Pes on the surface is fantastic, however, I still feel it is rather an old school football game compared to fifa in 2020.
I will wait, do not see need as there will many more patches for fifa that could ruin all the progress made. I still play FIFA 19 with matts personal set. Just really enjoying PES this year so far. Sorry if that is unpopular opinion here on OS.

Old 10-26-2019, 03:08 AM   #240
MVP

lareka's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunkerdown

I am enjoying the hell out of it too !

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer »