Home

What movies have you seen recently?

This is a discussion on What movies have you seen recently? within the Entertainment & Technology forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 07-20-2013, 11:46 AM   #7281
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53
Re: What movies have you seen recently?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint75
I have no interest either. Seems like a totally by-the-numbers, typically bland sports biopic. I already know a lot about the real story, I don't need to see a vanilla, fictionalized account of it. I know it is full of good intentions but the whole thing seems way too earnest for me. I can already hear the overdramatic music score swelling to tug my heart strings.

Who knows? Maybe I am missing out on a good movie.
As far as the music score goes it didn't seem all that saccharine or overly dramatic. Actually, a lot of the music of the movie were songs of the period.

I will agree with you on one thing though, the movie DOES take its sweet time getting into a groove as the first part was reciting information I already knew but once Jackie gets to spring training with the Dodgers/Royals the movie starts to build its own character.

__________________________________________________ ______

Godzilla/Kaiju Friday Review: Rodan (1956)

Well like I said earlier a couple of the movies in this series of posts are going to be non Godzilla flicks and this is the first one. This is actually the very first Japanese monster flick filmed in color as well.

Plot Summary

(slightly spoilerish in terms of plot)

Quote:
In the small town of Kitamatsu, strange things begin to happen when one of the shafts at the coal mine goes deeper than any other shaft they have there. First, a flood happens and when safety engineer Shigeru Kimura goes to investigate, he is horrified to find one miner dead and his friend Goro missing. Soon more bodies turn up and the main suspect is Goro. However, one night while Shigeru is visiting his fiancée Kiyo, Goro's sister, a giant caterpillar like monster crashes through her house. Immediately, the authorities realize that Goro is not to blame but the monsters are. Shigeru and the authorities then go back in the mine and track down the monster. While in the mine, they also find Goro's body and while they attempt to free Goro's body, a landslide occurs trapping Shigeru in an adjoining cavern. A few days later Shigeru is found but he is in a state of shock caused by the fact that he saw an even more terrible creature, a flying reptile called Rodan, hatch from its egg. Soon the world finds out about the creature and the world is now on alert as they await for this terrible monster to attack.
I got to say, this is a lot closer to what I expect out of a monster film though once again a little slow in starting it does set up a somewhat flimsy but believable story involving the investigation of the murder. The first part of the movie with the giant caterpillars isn't very interesting either but once they get into the story of Rodan the movie picks up the pace nicely. The SFX were quite good for the time period especially the scenes where Rodan is terrorizing and destroying a city. Hell, even a bit of a blooper is left intact as the man in the Rodan suit fell to the water in one scene when the pulley broke but it actually made the scene more believable.

Once again, i'm left amused at how Japan seems to be the center of attention when it comes to these monsters attacking the country. I wonder if in a future Godzilla movie if they reference the fact that Japan should at the very least have a monster containment plan! The acting as near as I can tell (considering i'm reading subtitles) is generally good and I liked the guy who plays the young professor talking about Rodan and what it is etc etc.

The movie moves along at a good pace though I found the climax at the volcano a little tedious what with all the shooting at the mountain range in order to kill Rodan(s) (yes there maybe more than one ) All in all this is a solid template of what the Japanese monster movie should be and it's above average to most of the ones that came out.

3 stars

Next week i'll be doing King Kong Vs. Godzilla from 1962 but before then I should be able to squeeze in an old Hollywood flick, one starring the great Richard Widmark.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-20-2013, 02:27 PM   #7282
Banned

daflyboys's Arena

OVR: 27

White Squall (probably for the 3rd time).

Such a great movie with meaning, heart and emotion. If this one slipped by you, see it.
Old 07-20-2013, 03:52 PM   #7283
Stayin Alive

GAMEC0CK2002's Arena

OVR: 23

Despicable Me 2. Loved it. Had plenty of funny moments.

Luckily the trailers didn't give them ALL away.
Old 07-20-2013, 04:05 PM   #7284
goh
Banned

OVR: 37

Only God Forgives

If the guys that made Hotline Miami were hired to make a Yakuza game the end result would probably be something like this. Kristin Scott Thomas was fantastic. The dinner scene was one of the best scenes ever. Overall I'm not sure what to think,it will require repeat viewings but I guess that means it wasn't awful. Visuals were very nice,seems like they were trying to do with the visuals here what they did with the sound in Drive.
Old 07-20-2013, 09:33 PM   #7285
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33
Pitch Perfect, probably 3 more times since I last posted.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-20-2013, 10:48 PM   #7286
$$$

Chrisksaint's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
Pitch Perfect, probably 3 more times since I last posted.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
Every time I look to see what's on HBO it's on
Old 07-21-2013, 12:06 AM   #7287
YNWA

~LiverpoolRed~'s Arena

OVR: 24

Grown Ups 2 - It had a few belly laughs but overall it was a terrible film. The first film was very good, they should have left it alone.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:58 AM   #7288
All Star

Lieutenant Dan's Arena

OVR: 31
Here Comes the Boom...very enjoyable and I laughed out loud. I would not want to piss off Kevin James either! Damn...Salma still looking fantastic.

On an Anna Kendrick note I tried to watch Rocket Science. Got thru 40 minutes and turned it off. Just toooo quirky for quirky sake to me. At the expense of a likable story with likable characters. Disappointed.

To refine that: it was trying so hard to be indie quirky-hip but it did not even have a story or characters that were worth watching.

OS Dibs: Anna Kendrick

Elite Dangerous on One X has become my life.

Proud PS5 and Xbox Series X Owner
"Best of Both Worlds"

Last edited by Lieutenant Dan; 07-22-2013 at 09:59 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology »