Home

What movies have you seen recently?

This is a discussion on What movies have you seen recently? within the Entertainment & Technology forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-11-2013, 05:28 PM   #7577
Once in a Lifetime Memory

Yeah...THAT Guy's Arena

OVR: 19
Re: What movies have you seen recently?

We're The Millers

Saw this as a double feature at a drive-in theater paired with The Conjuring. My girlfriend and I went because of The Conjuring, but We're The Millers had me laughing a decent amount, mainly just because of the main actor (name is slipping my memory right now). His sarcasm is just great IMO. Wasn't a great movie, and it's a ridiculous plot, but I wish I had seen it AFTER The Conjuring because...

The Conjuring

...I HAVE NEVER BEEN MORE SCARED OF ANYTHING IN MY LIFE. From the opening scene which didn't even really have anything to do with the plot of the movie at all, I was freaked out. It was a really cool movie. They did a nice job of building things up IMO, and while it got more and more intense as it went on, it was scary throughout.

Also, what added to the scariness was driving home afterwards. The drive-in theater is basically an empty, unlit field with dirt roads back to civilization. Not cool trying to find my way out.
NCAA: Syracuse
Soccer: USMNT/DC United

PSN: ButMyT-GunDont
Old 09-11-2013, 05:41 PM   #7578
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah...THAT Guy
We're The Millers

Saw this as a double feature at a drive-in theater paired with The Conjuring. My girlfriend and I went because of The Conjuring, but We're The Millers had me laughing a decent amount, mainly just because of the main actor (name is slipping my memory right now). His sarcasm is just great IMO. Wasn't a great movie, and it's a ridiculous plot, but I wish I had seen it AFTER The Conjuring because...

The Conjuring

...I HAVE NEVER BEEN MORE SCARED OF ANYTHING IN MY LIFE. From the opening scene which didn't even really have anything to do with the plot of the movie at all, I was freaked out. It was a really cool movie. They did a nice job of building things up IMO, and while it got more and more intense as it went on, it was scary throughout.

Also, what added to the scariness was driving home afterwards. The drive-in theater is basically an empty, unlit field with dirt roads back to civilization. Not cool trying to find my way out.
I really miss drive-ins. I remember seeing a ton of movies in the 80's at them. Sure, not ideal compared with today's technology, but I think it's still a fun experience.
EA Sports PGA Tour (PS5)
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch)
Old 09-11-2013, 06:07 PM   #7579
Once in a Lifetime Memory

Yeah...THAT Guy's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ
I really miss drive-ins. I remember seeing a ton of movies in the 80's at them. Sure, not ideal compared with today's technology, but I think it's still a fun experience.
First time I've ever been to one (I'm only 21), but it was great. Good food, comfortable seating (I'll take laying down in the car over sitting in those upright seats most theaters have any day), and a different experience (ex: My girlfriend and I like to talk about what's going on and stuff, and so this allowed us to do that without annoying everyone else).

Moreover, only $8 to see two new movies...can't beat that.
NCAA: Syracuse
Soccer: USMNT/DC United

PSN: ButMyT-GunDont
Old 09-12-2013, 08:41 AM   #7580
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Star Trek Into Darkness (2013)

EXCELLENT MOVIE!

The synthesis of the more action oriented philosophy of J.J. Abrams and the mythos of Star Trek was done a lot better the 2nd time around. Although familiar ground was trod upon and certain details were swapped around I thought it was executed well. Weller and Cumberbatch were excellent as the main foils against Kirk and Co. and while using real life situations as a means to push your story across is now pretty cliche I thought it was handled with care.

The one thing that made this one far better than the first film was that they focused on the characters and there was CHARACTER SPECIFIC humor. I also liked that this was more of Spock's film than Kirk's though truth be told it's probably a bit of both as the first half is definitely focused on Kirk but if you pay attention a lot of what happens flows back to the Spock character.

Highly recommended ****

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 09-12-2013, 06:26 PM   #7581
Banned

daflyboys's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPTO
The one thing that made this one far better than the first film was that they focused on the characters and there was CHARACTER SPECIFIC humor.
I missed it the first time around, but a great example of this was when Dr. McCoy was first offering to assist the female science officer.

Star Trek TOS really had a good deal of character specific humor....often tongue-in-cheek. Probably the best one was, I believe in The Trouble with Tribbles when someone was making a point and another character was highly doubting him, to which Spock dryly replies "He simply could not believe his ears."

And I'm 100% on board with you regarding this flick.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-12-2013, 06:26 PM   #7582
Stayin Alive

GAMEC0CK2002's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPTO
Star Trek Into Darkness (2013)

EXCELLENT MOVIE!

The synthesis of the more action oriented philosophy of J.J. Abrams and the mythos of Star Trek was done a lot better the 2nd time around. Although familiar ground was trod upon and certain details were swapped around I thought it was executed well. Weller and Cumberbatch were excellent as the main foils against Kirk and Co. and while using real life situations as a means to push your story across is now pretty cliche I thought it was handled with care.

The one thing that made this one far better than the first film was that they focused on the characters and there was CHARACTER SPECIFIC humor. I also liked that this was more of Spock's film than Kirk's though truth be told it's probably a bit of both as the first half is definitely focused on Kirk but if you pay attention a lot of what happens flows back to the Spock character.

Highly recommended ****
Just rented it for 32 cents at Redbox. Tried to PM for the 3D version at Best Buy last night. will probably just wait for it to go cheap at black friday or used at gohastings (or familyvideo)
Old 09-14-2013, 02:18 AM   #7583
Everyday is Faceurary!

dickey1331's Arena

OVR: 31

I Spit On Your Grave - this was a disturbing movie . Went a little too far graphics wise. I normally like disturbing movies like the Human Centipede but this movie just went too far.

Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark - movie was alright. Nothing special. I thought it would be more scary based in the previews I have seen before.
NFL: Dallas Cowboys
NHL: Dallas Stars
NBA: Dallas Mavericks

I own a band check it out
Old 09-14-2013, 05:37 AM   #7584
Greatness Personified

J_Posse's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickey1331
I Spit On Your Grave - this was a disturbing movie . Went a little too far graphics wise. I normally like disturbing movies like the Human Centipede but this movie just went too far.
I loved the I Spit on Your Grave remake, but still haven't seen the original cult classic. Just an awesome, graphic and disturbing revenge flick. I highly recommend it to any horror fans on OS. I absolutely hated the first Human Centipede and found it completely repugnant. Terribly acted, no real point to the plot and pathetic excuse for an ending. The sequel starts just as badly as the first one ended, yet I haven't finished watching it completely. The horrible director of the series shouldn't even waste people's time with another film.

from Spurs Nation/Bills Backer HQ

Official OS Bills Backers Club Member

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology »