Home

What concerts have you been to lately?

This is a discussion on What concerts have you been to lately? within the Entertainment & Technology forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-27-2014, 11:40 AM   #89
Strike Hard and Fade Away

Fresh Tendrils's Arena

OVR: 51
Re: What concerts have you been to lately?

Friday night I saw Lee Bains III & The Glory Fires "open" up for Diarrhea Planet. I say open because while they were the opening act they actually played every bit as long as Diarrhea Plant.

Lee was great. He has the lyric ability and insight of the Drive-By Truckers, but romps and hollers like a real rock n roller. He was jumping around on stage like a punk Chuck Berry and running around through the front of the crowd whenever he could. He certainly channeled that classic punk feel. Just a kid with a guitar who has a fairly good grasp on the world and has a hell of a way saying it. I felt like he could be any neighborhood kid with a guitar coming out on stage with a dark navy hat with Alabama stamped on the back and sweat stains that formed a band around the lower half. It spent half of the night on the floor of the stage. Stump fingers hammered out chords and riffs with finger nails worn down to the numb. A short neck veined with every word of the lyric as the guitars and drums competed to drown him out.

Here's a taste for you guys:
Spoiler

Diarrhea Planet was a fun show, but its not something I would necessarily feel a need to listen to outside of a music venue since their music and energy feeds off the crowd and the crowd feeds off the band. I've never been one to find the appeal of mosh pitting. Headbanging imaginary nails I understand. Jumping up and down I understand. Jumping into and grinding against other smelly, sweat-sticky males is not really appealing to me. Truth be told there were only about 10 people attempting to pit, but apparently that's what this band creates in its audience. Unlike most mosh pits its not aggressive or really driven by any queue from the music that is really just straight up rock (pop punk if I want to be a dick), but "fun ." Sweaty, smelly fun. So, essentially they were a frat mosh pit band.

I enjoyed them a lot, but mainly because the show was fun and not necessarily because their music was fantastic. They had fun on stage and that found its way into the crowd. At one point towards the end of the show they started playing a cover of Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit." The crowd got excited and started their mindless jumping and I just hung my head and tried to slip between the crack in the floor. At the end of the second chorus the lead singer stopped the song and told the crowd "this song is too hard for us." Like a dog discovering something new, my ears perk up and my head tilts to one side. They proceed to play Third Eye Blind's "Semi-Charmed Life." That was easily one of the best sequences of a concert I've been to. I'd see them again, but I'm not going to run to the store for their albums.

Old 10-28-2014, 08:06 PM   #90
MVP

jasontoddwhitt's Arena

OVR: 10

Going to see Garth Brooks Friday night in Lexington. I'm pretty stoked
Old 10-28-2014, 08:23 PM   #91
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Just went to Alter Bridge this past Saturday. They are equally as impressive live as they are on their album. Not a single damn note missed on any solo, anywhere! Myles' voice was angelic.

I have some recordings I might upload.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-28-2014, 09:01 PM   #92
MVP

Cutter15's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
Just went to Alter Bridge this past Saturday. They are equally as impressive live as they are on their album. Not a single damn note missed on any solo, anywhere! Myles' voice was angelic.

I have some recordings I might upload.

Right?
10 char
Kyle Busch #18
Atlanta Braves
Southern Miss Golden Eagles

Twitter
Old 11-02-2014, 01:23 AM   #93
MVP

jasontoddwhitt's Arena

Saw Garth Brooks last night in Lexington. What can I say, such an amazing show. Not much into the country scene anymore, but he was my guy when I was kid, and last night was totally worth it.

And Rupp Arena was rocking.

Last edited by jasontoddwhitt; 11-02-2014 at 01:29 AM.
Old 11-02-2014, 10:08 AM   #94
Everyday is Faceurary!

dickey1331's Arena

OVR: 31

Damn he's old now
NFL: Dallas Cowboys
NHL: Dallas Stars
NBA: Dallas Mavericks

I own a band check it out
Old 11-02-2014, 10:33 AM   #95
MVP

jasontoddwhitt's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickey1331
Damn he's old now
Yeah, but he still puts on a very entertaining show
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-02-2014, 10:46 AM   #96
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

The Rolling Stones are in their 70's and they still put on a heckuva show. Mick dances around the stage like he was in his 20's.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology »