Home

INCREDIBLE!

This is a discussion on INCREDIBLE! within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 03:53 PM   #25
Banned

OVR: 1
Re: INCREDIBLE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaStar
No, it would mean that enough gamers simply like a better playing game with or without a brand attached to it.
1. First, the game would have to be better. Right now, it isn't.
2. It's just not going to happen. Winning Eleven is the best example of a game without a license that plays better (arguably, as of FIFA 2005) than the licensed counterpart. Soccer's consumer base is very different than it is in America, the WE crowd are purists. And WE STILL does not have the marketshare that FIFA has.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-18-2005, 03:59 PM   #26
Banned

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braylon
1. First, the game would have to be better. Right now, it isn't.
2. It's just not going to happen. Winning Eleven is the best example of a game without a license that plays better (arguably, as of FIFA 2005) than the licensed counterpart. Soccer's consumer base is very different than it is in America, the WE crowd are purists. And WE STILL does not have the marketshare that FIFA has.
1. Some people think ESPN NFL is better than Madden......like Operation Sports gave it football game of the year and Gamespot gave it Sport Game of the year. I also think ESPN is better and I have Madden for the XBOX. If you have XBOX live maybe we can play.

2. I dont see why it cant happen. Gameplay has more of an impact than most people think. I like NCAA 2004 football because the gameplay felt so good but I just cant get into Madden this year. Just me.

Peace
Old 01-18-2005, 04:12 PM   #27
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunt
1. Some people think ESPN NFL is better than Madden...
Some people like Apple as well. But Apple will never challenge Microsoft in the OS arena. Apple is a niche brand. If Take Two wants to be Apple to EA's Microsoft, fine. And if you want to use an Apple, more power to you.

But look at how Apples are priced and that will give you some idea as to how well a niche product is priced. You're going to end up paying more for a game that fewer people like.
Old 01-18-2005, 04:14 PM   #28
Pro

Erratic's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Some people like Apple as well. But Apple will never challenge Microsoft in the OS arena. Apple is a niche brand. If Take Two wants to be Apple to EA's Microsoft, fine. And if you want to use an Apple, more power to you.

But look at how Apples are priced and that will give you some idea as to how well a niche product is priced. You're going to end up paying more for a game that fewer people like.
Now your making things up... EA will and can price their game higher, because it is the only game with a license. Furthermore Sega’s lack of a license means they can afford to lower their price again. Once again, just like this year, a lower price will attract fans, and Sega should do just fine...
Old 01-18-2005, 04:17 PM   #29
Banned

OVR: 18

Quote:
Come on...try to keep up with me here...

I understand your point. But the NFL is the biggest league in America. And EA is the biggest video game company in America.

It takes more than a "better game" to gain market share. Look at Papyrus' NASCAR game for a great example. Without the license, they stopped making the game. It was unanimously agreed to have been better than anything EA had done or has done since. It ceased to exist when the licensing deal did, because the license is everything.

For VC to do what Toyota did in the video game market, they would have to do more than just make a better car. The automotive market and the video game market are different in that licenses mean everything.

Can VC build a better game than EA? If EA's biggest concern were to make the best game possible, no, VC couldn't touch them. Given that it is not EA's biggest concern, yes, it's possible that VC could make a better game than EA.

Is building a better game enough to gain market share away from EA? No. Not without licenses.

Braylon, you seem to be ignoring one fact, VC/Sega got the market share that you speak of, that is why we are currently having this discussion. How did they get the market share? They lowered the price to get what they thought was a superior product to the masses. It worked!! To the point that ea is now playing dirty pool. You are praising questionable business tactics in the name of profit margin.

Looks go back in time a minute, to the presidential election of 2000. You play the the political game, people vote, you win or you lose. Well, if we take the facts most favorable to Bush, then if I have to call my brother who is the governor of Florida to insure that I win Florida to gain the presidency, well using your model of thinking its o.k. good move. Additionally, if I am lockheed and I benefit economically through the stock market because of the war, well good deal. The question is whether the war is justified or were there weapons of mass destruction to initiate the war. Don't kid yourself, ea was going to eventually lose that market share that you speak of (this is quite clear based upon their recent moves, they actually have replaced VC in regards to espn because espn is a stronger marketing name that madden) what they did was dirty pool, they couldn't win the game fair and square, fair and square being making a superior product so they cheated. Is that good business? Who knows, but it would seem nowadays what is good or bad is result based rather than means based.

Your argument is an after the fact one. What you are really saying is can VC compete now that ea has cut both their legs off. I give ea no respect for that. But the reality is VC is running with a great handicap, that I do recognize.
Old 01-18-2005, 04:26 PM   #30
Hall Of Fame

RubenDouglas's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickster101
I like your thinking and logic on this just look at how oil and other stocks just rise and fall everyday and as we all or most of us know stocks are a very risky buisness with no real guarantees as to their gains or profits until the closing bell,so investing at this time would not be in your best interest due to unknown factors in the buisness world,ea is no exception to the rule and as such are subject to change as are any other company when thinking long term projections,we'll have to wait and see.

As for the company moves they've implimented just brilliant strategy and timing on their suits part which makes them "Sharks" when it comes to being the big fish in the pond.

Holla Back ya'll

EA is under INTENSE pressure. who knows how the programmers are gonna react in the coming months or years. There may be a fallout.

Like Braylon said, that 400 mill theyve made today is just paper talk. In the longrun it may have helped them or it could be a curse.

Way too much money circling around and through the EA doors to even consider a heavy, longterm, shortterm, or any type of investment. Way too risky. unless you like giving your money away and not being able to sleep at night.
Old 01-18-2005, 04:54 PM   #31
MVP

Rickster101's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erratic
Now your making things up... EA will and can price their game higher, because it is the only game with a license. Furthermore Sega’s lack of a license means they can afford to lower their price again. Once again, just like this year, a lower price will attract fans, and Sega should do just fine...

Do you really believe that with all the "Corparate Lawyers/Attorneys" that have most likely gone over every probable contention as to make a profit that they (Electronics Arts) would have even concived such a brillant and calculated plan to not only level the playing field but to almost totally erraticate the compitetion in a move that only the character (Gecko) from "Wall Street" would have realished in,this my fellow gamers and gentlemen is what is know as a "Corparate" neigotiation among "Partys" of "Interest"...it is "Buisness" and its about "Profit".

At first news of all this I was so totally shocked and grived that I let my emotions take over for awhile...then after a period of time and some thought regression it happened...."Reality"...as I've stated before and will again..."The Handwriting is on the wall"...or as the generation of today says ...."Get Real".

But still in the back of my mind I keep thinking about that "Fight"...you know the fight thats in the dawg,remember that and possibly just possibly that dawg will find a way to win but for what it is, its just that...

It is what it is...I'm a person of reason and rational sense and I see now that this is "Hugh News" as has been stated before.

Most younger people and gamers don't realize this and its sad that this new world of buisness has crept up and caught all gamers by surprise with this news,someone has crossed that line I feared years ago and now the "Real" world has crossed and is every so slowly moving over to the world of our dreams, imaginations and fantasys..."Football" is just the start unless the masses reject and rebute this its gonna be..."Buisness" as usual in the "Corparate" world.
Old 01-19-2005, 02:06 AM   #32
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erratic
EA will and can price their game higher,
No, they won't. It will cost the same.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »