Home

For the record people.

This is a discussion on For the record people. within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-16-2005, 10:57 AM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: For the record people.

EA certainly wasn't wrong for buying the rights, heck, it's business plain and simple. And the reason they were willing to spend the money was because the 2K games were offering strong competition to their own football product. They were in danger of losing money, so they spend the big bucks now in order to secure higher profits in the long term. A good business decision, and one that would not have been made had the 2K series been terrible and offered no challenge to Madden.

However, just because it's good business doesn't mean I have to like it, and consumers are free to react any way they want to EA's decision. I liked Madden back in the day, but now I prefer the 2K series. An NFL exclusive is not going to make me buy what I feel is a sub-par game compared to the 2K one (this is all subjective by the way, everyone is different.) And I also feel that by making this business decision, instead of stepping up to the plate and creating a better game, they have hurt the industry. In an industry where creativity is held in high regard, EA took the easy way out. Thats why they aren't getting any more of my money. I admit it, I helped create the monster by buying their products for years; but it's time to beat it back into it's cage. There are alternatives, and better ones at that.
Old 02-16-2005, 11:36 AM   #18
Sweettouch

Dame's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by coogrfan
Perhaps you feel EA should have simply sat by and watched while the NFL reached an exclusive deal with someone else?

The NFL made the decision that it was going to go with one video game company. EA had two choices, either be the high bidder or allow 15 years of building the Madden franchise to go up in smoke. How any rational person can say that what EA did was somehow wrong just boggles my mind.
I agree with u
Old 02-16-2005, 11:40 AM   #19
Banned

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreBly
ECW went under well before WWE purchased its rights.
WWF did a lot for ECW compared to other peeps like WCW who were content with blowing it out of the water.
How WWF stealing ECWs storylines and hardcore style has anything to do with putting them under I have no idea. Its like saying there isnt a difference between Madden copying ESPN's play mechanices and scooping up the Exclusive NFL license.
If I'm EA I tell my programmers to get off their *** and make a game better then the one the guys at VC are coming out with...but no, a few of you believe you should just buy the other guy out and have everyone keep their mouths shut....shame on some of you. Say VC doesn't make another football game, some people therefore will out of jobs because of this. But i guess you guys know what its like in the real world so who cares? Right
Come on you cannot be that dense. What made ECW succesful was becausei t was unique. You take away that and they had nothing. You do know that WWE brought out ECW before WCW right? Trying to compare digital football and wrestling is a very wide stretch. You are seriously reaching on that one.

Last edited by 1fortheroad; 02-16-2005 at 11:42 AM.
Old 02-16-2005, 11:47 AM   #20
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurantsu
EA certainly wasn't wrong for buying the rights, heck, it's business plain and simple. And the reason they were willing to spend the money was because the 2K games were offering strong competition to their own football product. They were in danger of losing money, so they spend the big bucks now in order to secure higher profits in the long term. A good business decision, and one that would not have been made had the 2K series been terrible and offered no challenge to Madden.

However, just because it's good business doesn't mean I have to like it, and consumers are free to react any way they want to EA's decision. I liked Madden back in the day, but now I prefer the 2K series. An NFL exclusive is not going to make me buy what I feel is a sub-par game compared to the 2K one (this is all subjective by the way, everyone is different.) And I also feel that by making this business decision, instead of stepping up to the plate and creating a better game, they have hurt the industry. In an industry where creativity is held in high regard, EA took the easy way out. Thats why they aren't getting any more of my money. I admit it, I helped create the monster by buying their products for years; but it's time to beat it back into it's cage. There are alternatives, and better ones at that.

Man this is just sad. You seem to be misisng the part where the NFL only wanted one game on the market.
Old 02-16-2005, 12:13 PM   #21
#HTownTakeover #YWCF

coogrfan's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurantsu
Apparently, there are some folks on this board who feel that if enough people believe something, that makes it true. This "EA was afraid of VC" talk is a good example of that. There isn't a single shred of real evidence to support it, but a certain segment of the 2k crowd accepts it as gospel.

The presence of VC and the 2k series had absolutely nothing to do with EA's decision making process in this instance. If the only other bidder had been 989 Sports, EA would still have acted as they did. The reason should be obvious:because if they don't win the NFL's bidding war, EA would be out of the NFL video game business. When you consider how important the Madden series is to EA's bottom line, the logic of this is unassailable.

It's time to put the paranoid conspiracy talk to bed, kids.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-16-2005, 12:15 PM   #22
Pro

greedyness-will get you hurt!!!!

wait n see
Old 02-16-2005, 12:16 PM   #23
#HTownTakeover #YWCF

coogrfan's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by solja
greedyness-will get you hurt!!!!

wait n see
Whose greed-the NFL's or EA's?
Old 02-16-2005, 12:36 PM   #24
#HTownTakeover #YWCF

coogrfan's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreBly
Say VC doesn't make another football game, some people therefore will out of jobs because of this. But i guess you guys know what its like in the real world so who cares? Right
You do seem to understand that putting people out of work is a bad thing, but apparently you didn't take the next step with this line of reasoning. If EA doesn't secure the NFL license, the people out of work would be their own employee's. Given that EA has far more people working on Madden than VC ever had working on the 2k series, EA's decision to secure the license means that fewer people are out of work than if VC had won the bidding. If you're truly concerned with the welfare of video game company employees, you should applaud EA (and condemn the NFL for causing this workforce reduction in the first place).

Last edited by coogrfan; 02-16-2005 at 12:43 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »