Home

Man, I am depressed...

This is a discussion on Man, I am depressed... within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-24-2005, 09:48 PM   #33
Rookie

OVR: 8
Re: Man, I am depressed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravensfan52
I have to admit, I was a huge EA only fan until last year. I couldn't say no to a $20 football game that was looking like a $50 game so I tried it and it was different but I soon became hooked. The game truely was FUN to play. I would have bought a 2k6 this year and the new versions years after that. It sucks that a quality football game isn't getting its usual yearly update. All because of money and contracts. come on EA, competition is a good thing.
First let me start off by saying I am a huge fan of the 2k series and I am very disappointed in the fact that there is no 2k6 this year.

Having said that, I don't feel like you should continue to blame EA for the exclusivity deal. I mean, the NFL is just as responsible. Both sides saw this as a great opportunity and they jumped on it. And from what I hear, Take-Two put a bid in as well.

I personally am more upset at the guys at VC/Take-Two for not going ahead and releasing a generic football game. They know guys here and other forums will correctly name the rosters like the college games, and other non-licensed sports games (i.e. WE8), have been successful, so I think that they should have given it a shot. Ah well, maybe EA or Take-Two will step up and really blow us away on the next-generation consoles.
Old 07-24-2005, 10:18 PM   #34
Banned

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by laforr77
I personally am more upset at the guys at VC/Take-Two for not going ahead and releasing a generic football game.
1. Didn't put out a game (although that’s a business decision).
2. Didn't patch or provide a patch disk for 2K5.
3. Didn't issue any statements identifying and/or addressing 2K5's many broken features. (Do you know how many hundreds of gamers asked the very same “How do I fix…?” questions over and over – and that’s just on the Sega/2K site alone – without ONE PEEP and without one SHRED of help or assistance from anyone at Sega/2K?)
4. Didn’t issue any statements regarding their decision not to release a game this year. (So much for honoring and respecting for your loyal customer base.)

“You are what you do; You are what you do; Everybody, everybody; You are WHAT you do.”
Old 07-25-2005, 03:23 AM   #35
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by baa7
1. Didn't put out a game (although that’s a business decision).
2. Didn't patch or provide a patch disk for 2K5.
3. Didn't issue any statements identifying and/or addressing 2K5's many broken features. (Do you know how many hundreds of gamers asked the very same “How do I fix…?” questions over and over – and that’s just on the Sega/2K site alone – without ONE PEEP and without one SHRED of help or assistance from anyone at Sega/2K?)
4. Didn’t issue any statements regarding their decision not to release a game this year. (So much for honoring and respecting for your loyal customer base.)

“You are what you do; You are what you do; Everybody, everybody; You are WHAT you do.”
I agree with all of those points except the last one... I can't really fault Take-Two for not issuing a statement regarding the state of their current football franchise, especially if their wasn't going to be a new game to be released. They want to avoid a lot of negative press. I don't believe EA has released a statement regarding the MVP Baseball series, so that kind of approach is not uncommon. But damn, VC could have told us (admitted) that the Qb spy feature didn't work...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-25-2005, 07:52 AM   #36
Banned

OVR: 26

Quote:
I agree with all of those points except the last one... I can't really fault Take-Two for not issuing a statement regarding the state of their current football franchise, especially if their wasn't going to be a new game to be released. They want to avoid a lot of negative press. I don't believe EA has released a statement regarding the MVP Baseball series, so that kind of approach is not uncommon. But damn, VC could have told us (admitted) that the Qb spy feature didn't work...
I’ve heard the argument, and I personally feel it’s a bogus excuse. Plus as some have pointed out, the makers of Fever and other games apparently have and do issue those types of statements prior to their game’s demise.

And if you look at the bigger picture, it starts to become mind-numbingly puzzling. They release 2K5 (and 2K4 actually) with major programming issues. Not a word, not a patch, not a peep from them. Then 2K5 falls by the wayside with – what? – 2 million-plus football gamers wondering what’s up. Not a word or peep.

Then, on top of and in the midst of all that, they release MLB 2K5 in all it’s three-times-as-many-glitches glory. I mean that game is SEVERELY broken. And 3-4 months later: no patches, and not a single word or statement addressing any of the many issues in this horrible mess of a game.

These people have a serious case of ‘couldn’t care less’ IMO. Or, like many other businesses these days, if they fail and eventually fold – and they’re certainly headed in the right direction there – it becomes a tax write-off, nothing more.

As far as I’m concerned, they had a clear plan for the 2K series: imitate big bro Madden. Look at the useless Crib, the big-booby cheerleaders, the macho muscles-popping players, the arcade passing game in 2K5… And they’re continuing with the ‘we wanna be just like EA’ mentality with MLB 2K5: that game is jam-packed with the sort of juvenile modes and features EA always sticks in their games. At this point, their games might still only be cheap imitations of EA’s arcade products, but they’re sure matching EA in the screw-the-consumer business practice department.
Old 07-25-2005, 05:30 PM   #37
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by baa7
I’ve heard the argument, and I personally feel it’s a bogus excuse. Plus as some have pointed out, the makers of Fever and other games apparently have and do issue those types of statements prior to their game’s demise.

And if you look at the bigger picture, it starts to become mind-numbingly puzzling. They release 2K5 (and 2K4 actually) with major programming issues. Not a word, not a patch, not a peep from them. Then 2K5 falls by the wayside with – what? – 2 million-plus football gamers wondering what’s up. Not a word or peep.

Then, on top of and in the midst of all that, they release MLB 2K5 in all it’s three-times-as-many-glitches glory. I mean that game is SEVERELY broken. And 3-4 months later: no patches, and not a single word or statement addressing any of the many issues in this horrible mess of a game.

These people have a serious case of ‘couldn’t care less’ IMO. Or, like many other businesses these days, if they fail and eventually fold – and they’re certainly headed in the right direction there – it becomes a tax write-off, nothing more.

As far as I’m concerned, they had a clear plan for the 2K series: imitate big bro Madden. Look at the useless Crib, the big-booby cheerleaders, the macho muscles-popping players, the arcade passing game in 2K5… And they’re continuing with the ‘we wanna be just like EA’ mentality with MLB 2K5: that game is jam-packed with the sort of juvenile modes and features EA always sticks in their games. At this point, their games might still only be cheap imitations of EA’s arcade products, but they’re sure matching EA in the screw-the-consumer business practice department.

True. I didn't even think about all that. I can't believe they couldn't patch the qb spy feature (biggest game killer of online games was definately the scrambling qb), yet they patched NBA 2k5 when the cpu didn't call timeouts and actually improved the foul calling, giving the game a better flow. Maybe its just the individual teams that are working on these games.

To be honest, I'm really paying close attention to NBA Live and Madden, to see if I might want to just make the move to EA Sports for all my major sports games. It took them awhile, but both games are really starting to come around now, and at least I know that both series will be around for some time to come.
Old 07-25-2005, 11:28 PM   #38
All Star

HMcCoy's Arena

OVR: 35

Fired up the game.

Chargers vs. Chiefs @ Arrowhead.

KC ball...4th and inches heading into the half.

Priest gets a handoff up the gut.

I'm controlling a safety(Kiel), I recognize the run, and charge in to support.

Holmes is heading for a wide open hole...I mean wide open.

Jamal Williams spins off his block and fills the gap at the last second.

Holmes does a sweet, sweet, cutback animation and tries the other gap.

Edwards fills the hole and gets his mits on Holmes.

Holmes' puts his head down, keeps his feet moving and damn...his momentum is still going to have him fall forward for the first.

At the last second...just as he's about to get the ball across...

KIEL COMES IN AND PLASTERS BOTH HOLMES AND EDWARDS!!!...

Bring out the chains....(commentary is turned off)...did he get it? Did he get it?

First Down....but for who?.....

CHARGERS!

See the sideline erupt. I knew it was close though, so I try to hurry up and take a snap...no dice, booth calls for a replay. Yay, still Chargers ball.

Now...I'm holding out hope for Madden 360. I refuse to believe the guys at Tiburon will remain 2 or 3 development years behind with all this new technology....but dammit I will miss this series dearly. Madden's flagship was DOMINATED in this generation. Who cares about QB spy when the competition can't even get tackling right? None of these events in that story were even possible in EA's offering. Oh well, heres to hope.
Old 07-26-2005, 10:22 AM   #39
Pr*s*n*r#70460649

Graphik's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMcCoy
Fired up the game.

Chargers vs. Chiefs @ Arrowhead.

KC ball...4th and inches heading into the half.

Priest gets a handoff up the gut.

I'm controlling a safety(Kiel), I recognize the run, and charge in to support.

Holmes is heading for a wide open hole...I mean wide open.

Jamal Williams spins off his block and fills the gap at the last second.

Holmes does a sweet, sweet, cutback animation and tries the other gap.

Edwards fills the hole and gets his mits on Holmes.

Holmes' puts his head down, keeps his feet moving and damn...his momentum is still going to have him fall forward for the first.

At the last second...just as he's about to get the ball across...

KIEL COMES IN AND PLASTERS BOTH HOLMES AND EDWARDS!!!...

Bring out the chains....(commentary is turned off)...did he get it? Did he get it?

First Down....but for who?.....

CHARGERS!

See the sideline erupt. I knew it was close though, so I try to hurry up and take a snap...no dice, booth calls for a replay. Yay, still Chargers ball.

Now...I'm holding out hope for Madden 360. I refuse to believe the guys at Tiburon will remain 2 or 3 development years behind with all this new technology....but dammit I will miss this series dearly. Madden's flagship was DOMINATED in this generation. Who cares about QB spy when the competition can't even get tackling right? None of these events in that story were even possible in EA's offering. Oh well, heres to hope.

Thanks for the recap man. Its little stories like these that make me fiend to play this game.
Old 07-26-2005, 03:43 PM   #40
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
True. I didn't even think about all that. I can't believe they couldn't patch the qb spy feature (biggest game killer of online games was definately the scrambling qb), yet they patched NBA 2k5 when the cpu didn't call timeouts and actually improved the foul calling, giving the game a better flow. Maybe its just the individual teams that are working on these games.

To be honest, I'm really paying close attention to NBA Live and Madden, to see if I might want to just make the move to EA Sports for all my major sports games. It took them awhile, but both games are really starting to come around now, and at least I know that both series will be around for some time to come.

I believe they patched the bugs in NBA 2k because that specific game has always been the bread and butter of their sports line.

Yes, the NFL series always got good reviews, but it was much more common to see people with the NBA 2k franchise in their game collection, than it was to see the NFL 2k games.
“Nobody in the history of the game tried what I just tried. We’re talking about on the biggest stage, in New York, playing out of position and asked to hit fourth for the New York Yankees. I mean, that’s never been done.” - Sheffield on Sheffield

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »