Home

Unbelievable

This is a discussion on Unbelievable within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-13-2007, 05:12 PM   #57

OVR: 34
Re: Unbelievable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methlab
I like football. I will play the best game out. It just so happens that Madden is not it anymore to me. If it was, I would play it all day.

I remember when I bought Madden 05 with a buddy. We had the typical madden game where you drop back 100 yards and throw.. then 2k5 came out, and I bought it. He got his copy soonafter and I have not looked back. It wasn't even close for us, or our friends. I can't wait for All Pro..it will be better then Madden..

Whats even better is that all the little kids who play madden will stay with blind loyalty and play it that so the quality of online games will go up for us!
I had a very similiar situation, except I had a Dreamcast and gave NFL 2K a shot after a few years of playing Madden on the PC. I loved Madden on the PC, and when I heard EA wouldn't be on the Dreamcast, I was a bit upset, so I held out for the Xbox and got Madden when I purchased my launch Xbox system.

I was selected to be a beta tester, but what was neat about it was NFL 2K was online there too. That's what did it for me. after playing that game and comparing it to the version of Madden I owned, I had to put Madden down. since then, Madden hasn't done a single thing to make me feel I should continue playing it, and that's even after putting down 60 bucks on Madden 07 360.
Old 02-13-2007, 05:23 PM   #58
MVP

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
now I understand.

Other than presentation, what does/did NFL2K5 have that Madden and NCAA don't have today?
  • True gang tackling
  • Intuitive commentary
  • Playoffs actually feel like playoffs
  • Superbowl celebration
  • Co-op play
  • Presentation as you said
  • Much more attention to detail (such as having the playoff logo on the field, realistic reactions and celebrations after big plays, The Super introduction, the altered endzones in the playoffs, the team specific stadium sounds, etc.)
  • Refs on the field
  • 1st down markers/ chain gang measuring
  • And more
The fact is I shouldn't be able to come up with even ONE thing that a 3 year old current gen game has, that a next gen game doesn't. Yet I came up with all that right off the top of my head, and theres probably more.
Old 02-13-2007, 05:32 PM   #59
All Star

Sinner's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
now I understand.

Other than presentation, what does/did NFL2K5 have that Madden and NCAA don't have today?

1)Well gang tackling was a big step, it was in 2k5, when did Madden and NCAA get it?

2)Animations are better like when a running back is running through a hole and its kinda tight he will move his body to the side a little to squeeze through, thats attention to detail.

3)Commentary was better in 2k5, it flowed better with the game, yeah there was some problems but it was a lot better. This is my opinion.

4)Weekly practice and the way it worked was really nice and realistic, yeah some people may not have liked it or even hated it altogether but it was mostly because they couldn't find that nice mix to get your players the boost in stats you wanted, added a little something to the game.

5)Custom music for stadium and game situations, it was so nice to sack a quarter back and hear "Another one Bites the Dust, Moma said knock you out!" or whatever you wanted. Guess this may go with presentation but it was really nice.

these are just a few, some may like I said go under presentation, but its still a shame that a game back in 2005 had so much compared to what a game today has. Maximum passing has been in 2k for a long time, how long has Madden had their version of it?
Old 02-13-2007, 05:37 PM   #60
MVP

drae2's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
Dem's fightin' words, as the saying goes.

The existence of a generic 2K football speaks to every area where EA/Tiburon has failed with Madden. There's just no way this game should exist - and it wouldn't, given the steps EA took to corner the football market. It's debateable as to how "decent/playable" Madden currently is - but one thing that's undeniable is it's a disappointment. And I'd say a pretty big disappointment, if VC feels confident enough to undertake bringing out a generic title to compete in the same genre. I don't think the difficulty of what they're trying to do can be understated, especially given the NFL's dominance. I think there's no way this game exists if Madden is what it should be. Or perhaps it's better to say anywhere close to what it should be
You my friend have hit the nail on the head.
Old 02-13-2007, 05:49 PM   #61
MVP

drae2's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahawk76
Madden definitely has been underwhelming so far on the next gen consoles, but APF still has to deliver the goods. People are assuming that it will be a great game right off the bat and vastly superior to Madden, but I'm not so sure. I wouldn't be surprised if there are plenty of teething problems in its first year of release.
I agree with you, it may have those year 1 problems, but I still bet you will still find a couple things in the game that make you stand back and say, "Wow." Can you say you ever had that feeling with Madden next gen, because I know I can't.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-13-2007, 05:58 PM   #62
Rookie

squaremarker's Arena

OVR: 4

i'll buy the game from the company who makes the best sports title. Madden 04 was solid but ever since then, it's pretty much the same game with the same bugs. The next-gen titles are stripped down versions of their current-gen counterparts and have some of the crappiest gameplay to date. Just run a bunch of fades and the computer watches you catch them all. Not to mention that when the game came out, they forgot to include fatigue.... doh!

Madden seen they were going to be killed in 2005 with the release of 2k6 so they took the cheap way out. Can't someone fight this and claim EA is trying to monopolize the system of NFL football gaming?
Old 02-13-2007, 06:07 PM   #63
R**k**

Diesel3649's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
now I understand.

The ability to make me feel like what I am playing on my TV screen, is representative of what I am seeing every Sunday when I watch NFL Football.
In my opinion 2K5 looked, and felt like what I was see when I watch an NFL game.
When I play Madden, I don't see the same thing I see on Sundays. I don't see NFL running backs get stuck on their blockers backs and run in place for what seems like an eternity. I don't see NFL backs and receivers have their shoulder brushed by a defender and drop like you clubbed them with a baseball bat. I could go on and on, but the point is, to me, and I think a lot of video game football fans, Madden is not even a close representation of NFL football.
They keep telling me it is, (If it's in the game it's in the game) but I don't see it, and until I do, my motto will be If it's in my wallet, thats where it's gonna stay.
Old 02-13-2007, 06:49 PM   #64
D* W*rk!

Rocky's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrivera34
I see nothing wrong with this article and I consider myself a big time 2K fan. I even bought the NHL game and I don't know a thing about hockey.

There are many 2K fans who don't even give Madden a chance and just blast it like the EA fans blast 2K. I bought the game, didn't like it and sold it. But I did give it a few months on the 360. I remember reading several thread where people bought the game and returned it or solid it within a week. You can't get a true feel for a game within a week.

All that being said, now that 2K football is back, I will now longer try Madden because after trying next gen versions 1 and 2, I know what to expect for the next few years. Unless 2K8 is mess that is, but I highly doubt that.

You know.....alot of people don't give credit to those of us who just really wanted to play the best football game period. Whether it was Madden or 2K. I loved Madden 2000 for the PS2, NFL2K1 for the DC, both Madden and 2K2 were strong that year, Madden 2003 was excellent, and NFL2K4 and 2K5 really beat up on Madden those years(M05 was a good game tho).

Sure we loved the 2K series, but we moved on. We accepted the deal and we convinced ourselves we will try to love Madden. And we did try and we're dissapointed. Why? Because of the simple football things that are missing from this game.

Why is the player interaction so poor, the players just look like zombies out there. Why is no gang tackling, poor juke animations and poor catching animations? Why can I scramble 10 ft outside the pocket every time and throw with pinpoint accuracy? C'mon now. This game was a piss poor effort.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »