Home

Madden would be getting "LIVED"!!!

This is a discussion on Madden would be getting "LIVED"!!! within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-20-2007, 10:01 PM   #9
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64
Re: Madden would be getting "LIVED"!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeDogg
i agree with that, but with the lisence beein fair game. the stakes would definatly be up for grabs IMO, keep in mind the timing of the new hardware, people are always ready to try new games that show off and wow factor their new machines. the satge would have been set!
I don't think you are taking name brand recognition in to account nearly enough for Joe Consumer. We are the exception not the rule when it comes to football game sales.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:06 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 5

I assume he meant if TT still had the NFL license and was able to compete on a level playing field. It’s a new Game on the Next Gen systems. True Madden has the name recognition but they will have to prove themselves on the Next Gen systems. The future isn’t about PS2 or XBOX anymore. I'm sure we would have much better games because of the competition between the 2 companies.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:09 PM   #11
CEO - BSG Network

Behindshadows's Arena

OVR: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
Problem is, even in 2k's best year, and in the year where I thought they were significiantly better than Madden, Madden sold more units on the PS2 alone than 2k sold on all platforms's combined. That would have been an unbelievable hurdle to climb.

When talking with 2k people, they knew they were never going to own the market. Their goal was to sell enough copies of 2k, to make it profitable, and to make enough money to justify continuing making it.

Reason being, most Madden fans are Sheep...as someone stated in another thread, it could be packaged with a turd, and people will still say it smells like roses..

Also 2k doesn't have a 2ksports logo on everything you see, like EA does...not to mention massive advertising and logos of EA and Madden everywhere.....

2ksports did something a while back that I thought was a nice feature, and they need to return it to their games....

When playing NBA 2k8, I want to see scores from games I played on All-Pro Football 2k8, and College Hoops 2k8...from my game saves....so it links and advertises the other games......they could do in game advertising to let people know these games are coming out...etc...

2ksports score bar....similar to an ESPN one....showing highlighted scores and point percentages..etc...and latest news on upcoming games...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-20-2007, 10:10 PM   #12
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Problem is, even in 2k's best year, and in the year where I thought they were significiantly better than Madden, Madden sold more units on the PS2 alone than 2k sold on all platforms's combined. That would have been an unbelievable hurdle to climb.

When talking with 2k people, they knew they were never going to own the market. Their goal was to sell enough copies of 2k, to make it profitable, and to make enough money to justify continuing making it.
I agree, the diffrence is things were more neck and neck that back then. IMHO in 03 and 04 it was more so a toss up depending on taste. in 05 the bar was raised by VC, and EA has not met that bar yet. Using VC's other efforts as a gage and EAs titles sinse then....in my mind leaves a quality void thats pretty wide. I think if the gap was wider than say, the NBA gap..............................i dunno?
Old 02-20-2007, 10:13 PM   #13
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
I don't think you are taking name brand recognition in to account nearly enough for Joe Consumer. We are the exception not the rule when it comes to football game sales.
Although I agree with you I will say that one thing I think you may be forgetting in this analysis is that just about universally Madden has been a disappointment on the next-gen systems. I have yet to meet one person who say they were wowed by the next-gen Madden. Even my non-videogame friends are not impressed with Madden on the 360, whereas with NBA2K7, CHOOPS2K7, etc they are.

As I said, I don't think Madden would have been in danger this year but they would be a bit more challenged than they were on the old systems I think, if Take-Two had been competing the entire time. Especially considering a good portion of the people who have 360's and PS3's are people like us who aren't sheep who can think for themselves (and most are adults as well, not kids).

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Old 02-20-2007, 10:13 PM   #14
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:
I agree, the diffrence is things were more neck and neck that back then. IMHO in 03 and 04 it was more so a toss up depending on taste. in 05 the bar was raised by VC, and EA has not met that bar yet. Using VC's other efforts as a gage and EAs titles sinse then....in my mind leaves a quality void thats pretty wide. I think if the gap was wider than say, the NBA gap..............................i dunno?
You're equating quality with sales. Name brand recognition trumps that. I see no way that would have changed. As I said the 2k folks knew this themselves.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:20 PM   #15
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
You're equating quality with sales. Name brand recognition trumps that. I see no way that would have changed. As I said the 2k folks knew this themselves.

i agree, and i use to feel the same way. what im saying here is the GAP in quality may have been sooo large by now, that the tides may be realy turning by now. live had a smaller strangle hold but it was a loyal following. but this year the void was so large there was no denying..........well except for one or two folks....LOL
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-20-2007, 10:23 PM   #16
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:
i agree, and i use to feel the same way. what im saying here is the GAP in quality may have been sooo large by now, that the tides may be realy turning by now. live had a smaller strangle hold but it was a loyal following. but this year the void was so large there was no denying..........well except for one or two folks....LOL
Possibly, but I don't know. I still think those kinds of predicitions are more wishful thinking types than anything else. No doubt 2k was the far, far superior game, and would have continued being such, but I don't things would have been all that different.

Also bear in mind, Madden is EA's flagship game, I suspect if 2k was still around to present a challenge, the production budget and effort level would have been quite a bit different than it currently is. I don't think they see Live as a flagship product, and aren't as worried about losing it's marketshare.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »