Home

Anti-Madden reaches the media

This is a discussion on Anti-Madden reaches the media within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-15-2008, 04:05 PM   #65
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64
Re: Anti-Madden reaches the media

Quote:
Originally Posted by aff4life
To be honest and fair, I've played exactly 1 game and watched pieces of several others.

However, in defense of this, I consider myself to be a fairly observant person, here's what I took away: the play calling menus were very intriguing to me, and I wished that 2k5 had something similar, and yes, Florio not playing Madden because of that is LOL-able. I did enjoy them. The stadium looked amazing. The turf, as well. However, this does not a video game experience make. To me, anyway. The game played exactly as it had in years past. Now, just to be fair, it took exactly 1 game of 2k for me to be sold, the same ratio it took for me to be disappointed by Madden.

My true wish is that Madden, would improve game play instead presentation.
So this is based on 1 game? Yeah I would say that's far too early to draw any definite conclusions. Even after one game I don't see how you can say it plays exactly like last year. I hated last years version, and I am not a huge fan of ths years version, but the differences on the field are apparent almost immediately.

That being said, my reaction to the game was initially luke warm at best, I've played it some more and I am beginning to like it more, but I am not sure I will put that much time in to it this year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-15-2008, 04:06 PM   #66
Rookie

aff4life's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
That 20 dollar price tag was always thought of as a one year shot to get people to try the game. They felt once people tried it, the game would stand on it's own merit.
And this I would like to emphasize as a point of my passion for 2k. The proof, as the cliche goes, is in the pudding.
Old 08-15-2008, 04:09 PM   #67
Rookie

aff4life's Arena

Quote:
So this is based on 1 game? Yeah I would say that's far too early to draw any definite conclusions. Even after one game I don't see how you can say it plays exactly like last year. I hated last years version, and I am not a huge fan of ths years version, but the differences on the field are apparent almost immediately.

That being said, my reaction to the game was initially luke warm at best, I've played it some more and I am beginning to like it more, but I am not sure I will put that much time in to it this year.
So, would you say that the re-play-ability is low for '09?

This is the impression that I'm getting from my roommate. He's playing '09 plenty, and still considering getting an xbox to play 2k5.
Old 08-15-2008, 04:11 PM   #68
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:
And this I would like to emphasize as a point of my passion for 2k. The proof, as the cliche goes, is in the pudding.
And I fully agreed with them at the time. There were so many people who flat refused to give the game a try it was ridiculous. OR if they did, they played it for 10 minutes, decided it didn't play like Madden and came to the conclusion it sucked. I always felt if people put some time in to 2k the game would shine though. Their strategy was sound imo.

It's amazing how things have come full circle. You could now argue those same things to 2k fan about Madden.
Old 08-15-2008, 04:13 PM   #69
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:
So, would you say that the re-play-ability is low for '09?

This is the impression that I'm getting from my roommate. He's
playing '09 plenty, and still considering getting an xbox to play 2k5.
I am not sure yet. Again, I think from a technical standpoint the game is good. The more I play the more I like it, but when I am done with a game, I don't have that "Just one more game" feeling. I can't put my finger on it.

Could be my addiction to Head Coach and MLB the Show is taking away from the game
Old 08-15-2008, 04:17 PM   #70
Banned

OVR: 15

Quote:
Where are you getting this info exactly?

Fever was not coming back, MS had completely disbanded that studio and had no interest in brinigng Fever back. 989 had completely give up on it's brand as well.. That was not in production. The only games in production when the bid went out was 2k and Madden. That's it, there was nothing else out on the drawing board. Both companies put bids in. I know for fact that TT put their bid in.

TT never once announced 2k6 was going to be 20 bucks. In fact in my dealings with the 2k team, that 20 dollar price tag was always thought of as a one year shot to get people to try the game. They felt once people tried it, the game would stand on it's own merit.

Not sure where NFL REPS ever bashed 2k for the price tag. But the Madden PS2 version did outsell 2k5 on all consoles combined. I don't think EA was that worried.

I am just curious to hear where you got this info, because it's not accurate.
The Fever info was mainly rumored before 360 launched. Microsoft was thinking about bringin back Fever because they knew it would help them sell consoles. And what better way to sell consoles if you have the exclusive rights to the most popular and money making sport in the world today?

989 was developing a new GameDay and this is a FACT because a lot of people (me included) were looking forward to it considering that it was in development or over two years. Once the exclusive deal was announced, 989 turned GameDay into some crappy gimmick based football game with a fake league and everything but Sony later canned the project. This is all FACT and if you look through magazines or search the web, you'll find info about and even actual screen shots. Also, those who were developing GameDay were pissed because they didnt know about the deal until days later and lets be realistic, if there was any biding war - wouldnt Sony put in a bid considering the fact that they've already spent millions on a new GameDay?

Kind of tough for Take Two to put in a bid when 1) there was no bidding and 2) why would they bid on a license when VC was still under the Sega name which was majority owned by Sammy at the time. TTI would be bidding on a license that they have no developer for. Take Two didnt purchase 2K sports or VC until months later. In fact, it was 2005 when it took place. The EA/NFL deal was done in November 2004.

Take Two Interactive said that 2K6 was going to be released at $20 and before Madden. Basically, they were going to copy what they did with 2K5. I remember reading this on GameSport, IGN and whatever crappy magazines I had at the time. This was before any deal was done.

NFL reps bashed 2K5 for it's $20 price tag. Trust me, I was pissed when I read it because if I was the NFL, I would much rather have 2K5 sell at $20 than 2K4 sell at $50 and thus bomb in sales. It was either Greg Aiello or some other high positioned rep. Hell, there's probably other topics about this here at OS as im pretty such I've posted all this stuff here years ago when I was pissed off about 2K being no more.

And lets be realistic, with the money problems TTI have had over the years, they were never in a position to make any serious bids plus if they did actually put in a bid (which I still doubt), the NFL would know that they wouldnt come close to EA's offer and was only included to make it look like a bidding war despite the fact that the NFL and EA was pretty much a done deal.

Crap, I have to go work. I'll continue this later tonight or tomorrow.
Old 08-15-2008, 04:20 PM   #71
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733
The Fever info was mainly rumored before 360 launched. Microsoft was thinking about bringin back Fever because they knew it would help them sell consoles. And what better way to sell consoles if you have the exclusive rights to the most popular and money making sport in the world today?

989 was developing a new GameDay and this is a FACT because a lot of people (me included) were looking forward to it considering that it was in development or over two years. Once the exclusive deal was announced, 989 turned GameDay into some crappy gimmick based football game with a fake league and everything but Sony later canned the project. This is all FACT and if you look through magazines or search the web, you'll find info about and even actual screen shots. Also, those who were developing GameDay were pissed because they didnt know about the deal until days later and lets be realistic, if there was any biding war - wouldnt Sony put in a bid considering the fact that they've already spent millions on a new GameDay?

Take Two Interactive said that 2K6 was going to be released at $20 and before Madden. Basically, they were going to copy what they did with 2K5. I remember reading this on GameSport, IGN and whatever crappy magazines I had at the time. This was before any deal was done.

NFL reps bashed 2K5 for it's $20 price tag. Trust me, I was pissed when I read it because if I was the NFL, I would much rather have 2K5 sell at $20 than 2K4 sell at $50 and thus bomb in sales. It was either Greg Aiello or some other high positioned rep. Hell, there's probably other topics about this here at OS as im pretty such I've posted all this stuff here years ago when I was pissed off about 2K being no more.

And lets be realistic, with the money problems TTI have had over the years, they were never in a position to make any serious bids plus if they did actually put in a bid (which I still doubt), the NFL would know that they wouldnt come close to EA's offer and was only included to make it look like a bidding war despite the fact that the NFL and EA was pretty much a done deal.

Crap, I have to go work. I'll continue this later tonight or tomorrow.
I am still curious where you got this info. It's simply not accurate. If you want to believe MS and Sony were busy making new football games, feel free, but that's simply not true.

As far as the VC/TT bid, I got it straight from the horses mouth, right after everything was announced. You can doubt it or not, as I said I know for fact what happened. Which is the same route I went when I knew the 20 dollar price tag was a one shot deal.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-15-2008, 04:33 PM   #72
Rookie

aff4life's Arena

Quote:
You could now argue those same things to 2k fan about Madden.
You could and I believe you are..........

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »