Home

Has there ever been a video game that had........

This is a discussion on Has there ever been a video game that had........ within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-02-2004, 10:28 AM   #1
Stayin Alive

GAMEC0CK2002's Arena

OVR: 23
Has there ever been a video game that had........

--fumbled snaps
--botched shotgun formation snaps
--mishandled FG snap by the holder
--punt snaps that go over the punter's head

If not, I think we'd be more likely to see this done by ESPN football than Madden. Would definitely add more realism to any football game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-02-2004, 10:36 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: Has there ever been a video game that had........

Quote:

GAMEC0CK2002 said:
--fumbled snaps
--botched shotgun formation snaps
--mishandled FG snap by the holder
--punt snaps that go over the punter's head

If not, I think we'd be more likely to see this done by ESPN football than Madden. Would definitely add more realism to any football game.

yea that would be cool if they do it once in awhile but knwing this site people will complain the computers cheating or something if their winning fg is botched
Old 06-02-2004, 10:56 AM   #3
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

--fumbled snaps : No
--botched shotgun formation snaps : No *
--mishandled FG snap by the holder : No **
--punt snaps that go over the punter's head : No ***

* Madden does have high snaps in shotgun formation... they seem to occur at random though, although I assume the center's OVR has something to do with it.

** ESPN does have varying snaps from the snapper to the field goal placeholder where the holder will have to reach up or away for the snap. I don't know what affects how often this occurs, but with Billy Cundiff on the Cowboys, I rarely get a good snap. Perhaps the ESPN kick meter determines power, accuracy, and snap quality, as it doesn't seem to happen if I get MAX on the kick meter...

*** Again, Madden has high snaps in this situation, but no over-the-head snap. May be affected by the Long Snapper's OVR rating. Also, no game has had a deliberate snap over the punter's head, like New England did last season.
Old 06-02-2004, 11:49 AM   #4
F**tb*ll F*n*t*c

Fetter21's Arena

OVR: 30

The E3 build of ESPN 2k5 had bad snaps on FGs. I only saw one, but the hold was bad and the kick nearly went left because the kick came out funny. It was only like a 25 yard field goal, had it been longer 30 yards or longer it would have gone wide.
Old 06-02-2004, 12:28 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

The problem with things like this is that people will get mad if they happen. I mean think if you are in a league game down by 1, you get in FG position. And the snap is bad not because of something you did (this is KEY) and you lose the game all off something that isn't your fault. It's a tough call and those features are cool, but I dunno.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-02-2004, 12:32 PM   #6
Sean Payton: Retribution

jmood88's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:

LBzrule said:
The problem with things like this is that people will get mad if they happen. I mean think if you are in a league game down by 1, you get in FG position. And the snap is bad not because of something you did (this is KEY) and you lose the game all off something that isn't your fault. It's a tough call and those features are cool, but I dunno.

People clamor for them before the game comes out but then when they get the game and a messed up snap results in them losing, then they will hate it.
Old 06-02-2004, 12:41 PM   #7
Pro

DoubleDeuce's Arena

OVR: 6

Perhaps there should be a "Circumstantial Variability" option. This could cover penalties as well as bad snaps. People who wanted to play with the normal uncertainties of a real football game could turn it on. When playing multiplayer, where you would like skill to more definitively control the outcome, you could turn this variability off. It would have the same effect as toggling errors in baseball games, which several games allow you to do.
Old 06-02-2004, 01:03 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 9

Quote:

LBzrule said:

Hey LB!!

Hmmm. I see what you mean. However, the game already has uncertainties in it that effect your wins and losses. Things like fumbles, missed extra points (The CPU Lions do this all the time in 2k4) by the opposing CPU, facemasks and even the occasional SUPER MAN LEAP by the CPU to pick off a pass. Oh and how can I forget the infamous ESCAPE SIX TACKLES IN A ROW AT THE LINE OF SCRIMMAGE TO RUN IN THE OPEN FIELD FOR THE TD.

I think if it was added, I would like it. Many of the most exciting games in NFL history were decided by uncertainty. Take the AFC Championship game between the Browns and Broncos where the Browns fumbled the ball at Denver's goal line. Or how about the Playoff game a couple of years ago between the Niners and the Giants? Even the TUCK RULE from Pats v Raiders. All of these were aspects to the game that nobody saw coming.

Look at it this way too. If you are playing a game in which you NEED that field goal to win the game, it's your own fault for not scoring enough points before it came down to that in the first place. Don't forget that it works both ways too. You could be in Week 16, up by 1 point with :02 seconds left in the game, needing a victory or you will be playing golf for the Playoffs, and the CPU BOBBLES THE SNAP for the game winning field goal, sending your team into euphoria! See? Both ways.

I like it. I would would vote for it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »