Home

Weekly Prep Tips

This is a discussion on Weekly Prep Tips within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-24-2004, 06:29 PM   #25
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Weekly Prep Tips

When you do it right, it makes the game's much better.........
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-24-2004, 10:15 PM   #26
Rookie

Jeff8275's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:

When you do it right, it makes the game's much better.........

I couldn't agree more!
Old 07-24-2004, 11:04 PM   #27
Banned

OVR: 6

Thank you to ZoneBlitz56 from the Espn Forums

SCOUTING is telling you where you need to improve. If it tells you that your QB needs work on read defenses you'd be wise to train in it but you won't get jack for gains if you don't train properly. However, your gains will be very modest whether or not that skill was in your scouting report or not. Reading the scouting report is the key to winning, not gaining stat points.

The key to gaining stats is in the combinations, not the scouting!! Let me repeat that....well, you get the idea. Scouting just tells you where to use your "free time".

FILM STUDY
Film study helps most but not all positions. Some examples of film study -- HB with 3 hours of studying defensive fronts gained 1 point in run blocking, WR who studied Coverages for 3 hours gained 1 point in route running. Film study isn't very beneficial for a HB in a run-oriented offense that I can tell -- I don't do film study for FB or HB in a smashmouth style.

TEAM MEETING
All the guides I see is just happy, happy, happy. Well, you can't be happy all the time and keep your guys focused. Norv Turner is the classic example of the laid back coach who couldn't get his players to buckle down - believe me.

If you're too nice your morale stays high but your focus suffers, if you're too strict focus goes up and morale goes down. Find a balance.

If you've made it this far in this post, I will share with you what works for me.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MONDAY: (FILM STUDY DAY)
Team meeting: Happy/Moderately Happy (see above)
Coaches Film: Refer to the scouting report for this one.
Film study for everyone (except HB)
Use the extra time for extra film study, rehab, or impact positions.

TUESDAY: (POSITION DRILL DAY)
Position Drills for ALL players
Use more time for impact players.

WEDNESDAY: (WEIGHT TRAINING DAY)
Weight Training for ALL players
Use more time for your big boys

THURSDAY: (FULL PRACTICE DAY)
Full Drills/Partial Pads/1st Team/3-day
Full Drills/Partial Pads/2nd Team/Daily
Full Drills/Partial Pads/3rd Team/Daily

FRIDAY: (LIGHT PRACTICE DAY - TIME OFF)
Full Drills/No Pads/1st Team/3-day
7 on 7/No Pads/All/Daily
Leadership training for starting QB only
1/2 day off

ONE LAST THING:
I have seen a lot of POOR guides written on weekly prep where the authors tell you to train a certain position in a skill that isn't helpful -- like training a D-lineman in route recognition. Use your own best judgment as there are usually 2 or more "right" areas to work and sometimes a useless choice when doing film, position drills, or weights. I won't tell you what position to train your HB and what weights to use because there is no right answer!

It took me 5 hours to find a practice combination that worked and I use the free time to tweak those areas that are pinpointed in the scouting report -- perhaps doing some aerobic or alternative training.

ONE OTHER LAST THING:
Occasionally I find my linemen losing a point in agility, stamina, and durability - Pilates are good for that.

DISCLAIMER: This is not a cure-all, but a darn good starting point for having a Weekly Prep Structure to build upon.

My Thoughts

You will have extra time in the Monday and Thursday to do Aerobic exercises and this should be reserved for bench player. (They drop about 1 points to 2 points but with about 18 hours on Monday and over 10 hours on Thursday you will have room.)

His point about the Press Conference and Team Meeting is correct. You have to determine your mood based on your games. You cannot be happy all the time or mad all the time.

His Tuesday schedule and Wednesday schedule, I decided to switch. It really doesn’t matter but I believe you want to weight train then do positional work.

This is the best Weekly Prep, I have encountered and you can still add your own personal touches
Old 07-25-2004, 04:17 AM   #28
MVP

Keirik's Arena

OVR: 16

might have missed this but not sure. Is there a way to save your weekly prep so it is used every week, or do you manually have to set it up every single week?
Old 07-25-2004, 04:18 AM   #29
MVP

OVR: 11

It just stays the same as the week before.
Old 07-25-2004, 04:38 AM   #30
Rookie

OVR: 4

49ersrule23, those tips are golden! I'm going to prepare a full-color PDF document of that sheet of info for people to download and print out.
Old 07-25-2004, 11:04 AM   #31
MVP

OVR: 10

What about prep during the pre-season? Anyone do anything different?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-25-2004, 11:37 AM   #32
Banned

OVR: 6

Quote:

mwjr said:
What about prep during the pre-season? Anyone do anything different?

I am not really sure and I proabably wouldn't do anything different except cut down your scrimmages and give more to your younger players.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »